Fan Interview with Johnny Weir | Golden Skate

Fan Interview with Johnny Weir

That was a totally delightful read! His swan's name is "Camille." :rofl:

This proves that you really can be honest and charming at the same time. :agree:

Thanks for the link, BittyBug. :clap:

Mathman :)

76olympics

On the Ice
"What has surprised you most this season?"

" I am skating like sh*t."

You gotta love him. He is honest to a fault and witty throughout that interview. I hope he can begin living up to his expectations!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Good for Johnny!

He redeemed himself a bit in my eyes. (I was getting a "whiney thing" from his most recent press questions....) :) Go Johnny!!

DG

SusanBeth

Final Flight
It's just the nitpicky history buff in me that has to say- Anna Andersen was proven by a DNA comparison NOT to be Anastasia. Also, though there are those who thought hers was one of the missing bodies, there is credible evidence to explain what happened to the 2 missing bodies. There is not one reason to believe Anastasia survived. ( Sorry to go OT, but I HAD to do it.)

It's nice to read this interview. He seems to have calmed down a bit. That ought to help him focus. I hope we get a chance to see his SP skated really well. I have been looking for the (paraphrased) masculine take on the last breaths of a dying swan. I still don't get it. :scratch:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
It's just the nitpicky history buff in me that has to say- Anna Andersen was proven by a DNA comparison NOT to be Anastasia. Also, though there are those who thought hers was one of the missing bodies, there is credible evidence to explain what happened to the 2 missing bodies. There is not one reason to believe Anastasia survived. ( Sorry to go OT, but I HAD to do it.)

LOL....that isn't being nitpicky, I thought the very same thing when I read this part. I am a huge Russian history buff, and I truly believe that no one survived that massacre. And, if they did....it wasn't for very long. Also, they aren't even sure whether it was Anastasia or her elder sister, Marie, that was missing from the grave.

I also enjoyed this article. Johnny was very candid, and he wasn't affraid to be very honest about his own problems this year. I love the "skating like sh@t" part. That is priceless.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:
LOL....that isn't being nitpicky, I thought the very same thing when I read this part. I am a huge Russian history buff, and I truly believe that no one survived that massacre. And, if they did....it wasn't for very long. Also, they aren't even sure whether it was Anastasia or her elder sister, Marie, that was missing from the grave.
Actually, some recent studies cast doubt on whether the bodies that were dug up in Yekaterinburg were really of the royal family.

I've been a huge fan of Johnny since before he became a celebrity, but if this yadda yadda is keeping him from practice, I will give up on him. He's got two top skaters up North and Evan is there to cash in on others mistakes not to mention Weiss and Goebel rebounding. Then there are the European men - all three of which have proven themselves as golden. It's time for action and not explaining.
JMO - Joe

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Actually, some recent studies cast doubt on whether the bodies that were dug up in Yekaterinburg were really of the royal family.

Ptichka, where can I find these studies? I would be very interested to read about them. I knew there were lingering doubts about this, but I thought that the established DNA links between the English royal family and Alexandra and the daughters' remains put most of that to rest.

Anyway, back to Johnny! I don't mind him being outspoken. He is giving himself a goal and a focus....to challenge Plushenko. He hasn't had the best year so far, but at least he is hungry and at leasts sounds motivated. We will see what happens at COR.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
BronzeisGolden said:
Ptichka, where can I find these studies? I would be very interested to read about them. I knew there were lingering doubts about this, but I thought that the established DNA links between the English royal family and Alexandra and the daughters' remains put most of that to rest.

Anyway, back to Johnny! I don't mind him being outspoken. He is giving himself a goal and a focus....to challenge Plushenko. He hasn't had the best year so far, but at least he is hungry and at leasts sounds motivated. We will see what happens at COR.

They used a mitochondrial comparison between Prince Philip and the skeletons. Mitochondrial DNA is passed strictly from mother to child without change. Prince Philip is the descendant of Queen Victoria along a female line (I should look it up, but I think it's Queen Victoria- Princess Alice-Princess Victoria- Princess Alice-Prince Philip) Alexandra was also the descendant of Queen Victoria along a female line. Her line was Queen Victoria- Alice- Alexandra. In order for the skeletons to be Alexandra and her daughters, their mitochondrial DNA had to be an exact match with Prince Philip's. It was an exact match. That was Alexandra and 3 of her daughters. No question to it at all.

They did the same for the Tsar and one of his relatives and there was one tiny glitch. He had a slight mutation in one of the markers. He had 2 values. It's rare, but not unheard of at all. People used it to cast doubt on the identities of the bodies, but really, who else would Alexandra and her daughters be buried with? The skeletons of the Dr and servants could not have been mistaken for Nicholas. They finally cleared that issue up a few years ago. They took a sample from Grand Duke George. He was Nicholas' brother. He died before the revolution and his identity was absolutely certain. He had the same mutation. The Tsar was in the grave.

Sorry again for going OT, but if I had to choose between history and figure skating....:think:

Well, errrrrr I am glad Johnny seems to be thinking things through.

Last edited:

nicole_l

Final Flight
This discussion sounded really familiar. Now I remember where I was reading it! There's a whole chapter about it in The Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan Sykes. The book's about mitochondrial DNA. It's really interesting and is a relatively easy read given the material. :clap:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Thanks for the links, Ptichka. Very interesting....but it still sounds like the same argument as before. I tend to believe that these are the remains for a variety of reasons , but I fully recognize that there is an outside chance that they are not. The people framing the argument are really not offering any type of conclusive evidence to dispute the findings. Perhaps I would be more inclined to believe them if they were to run a whole battery of tests that all clearly showed there were no DNA links. It is mentioned that the finger of Grand Duchess Elisabeth was clearly tainted with two other sources of DNA. Anyway, BLAH BLAH...sorry about the non-Johnny related ramble.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Ptichka said:

Very interesting links! Thank you so much. There doesn't seem to be much of a basis for their assertions, but it raises a great many questions for me. I believe there is a great deal of doubt as to who the finger belonged to.

OOps I edited my original post because I thought it was just going overboard for the topic. Also Gill's tests were confirmed by seperate researchers. His study found those were the bones of the Imperial family. It should read Knight, I erred.

PS I'll have to read the book mentioned earlier. It sounds interesting.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
Very interesting links! Thank you so much. There doesn't seem to be much of a basis for their assertions. Plus, Gill has been raising a fuss since his original tests were discredited. Also, the finger they claim was Grand Duchess Elisabeth's, I believe, has now been thought to belong to 3 different people! This gives me something to research! Yes! (edited I mean, research just for myself. I'll shut up with the OT stuff already! Sorry!)

I'm enjoying this OT! If you all decide to continue your research, I hope you will keep including me!! (Le Cafe??) I fell in love with the "mystique" of Anastasia as a young girl - my Mom loved that old classic movie. On one hand, it's sad in a way that modern science is removing the "mystique." But it's still a really interesting topic to me. :agree:

DG