Former world champion wants to compete again (Meissner Article) | Golden Skate

Former world champion wants to compete again (Meissner Article)

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/olympics/bal-sp.meissner29jan29,0,1020163.story

"I miss going out and being Kimmie Meissner," she says, smiling self-consciously as she draws air quotes around her name with her fingers.

Meissner pauses and then continues, "I would like to go back and compete at least at one more nationals and skate to the best of my ability. ... I miss competing in a big way. Maybe I didn't understand it then, but I understand it now."

and mentions getting homesick as well:

A new coach and a move to Florida failed to change her fortune. She battled injuries: ankle, hip and knee.

Meissner moved back to Maryland last fall, just after her 20th birthday.

"I think it made me grow up a lot," she says of her year in Florida. "I started missing home too much. I'm a Maryland girl."

I mentioned it in another thread but I'm starting to get "comeback fatigue"...

krenseby

Final Flight
I mentioned it in another thread but I'm starting to get "comeback fatigue"...

But that's not fair to Kimmie. If she were to mount a comeback, it would be low-key. There wouldn't be lots of chatter about it nor would there be exaggerated expectations of her making mincemeat out of the other skaters.

silversprings77

Rinkside
Even if she doesn't make the international team again, I hope she does come back like Sasha or Emily tried to this year....for that "swan song" and the ability to go out on your own terms. I wish her the best of luck!!!

I

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I welcome Kimmie back. I have missed her, and am so glad that she wishes to continue in the sport.