Happy "Cinco De Mayo"! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Happy "Cinco De Mayo"!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Elena and Ruslan's FD to Frida, it was beautiful! Too bad they struggled so much that season

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
I have no shame where Kurt is concerned. I'd have shared a video of him skating to Nyah but youtube sucks and they mute all the videos of that one because of copyright issues. Jerks.

So instead, Kurt and Tara skating to Malaguena - https://youtu.be/FXXxRolfBAU

That Malagueña is spanish but there is another Malagueña, Malagueña salerosa is mexican (I think so), I wish someone would skate this version of Kill Bill soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4_GpIoBgHs

Do all the Carmen's and Frida's belong in this category? If so, I can fill this up fast.

Carmen and flamenco are spanish, so no. Frida :yes:
Plushenko skating to Juan Gabriel ¨Hasta que te conocí¨ https://youtu.be/vCCZ2xRgvVo?t=145

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I drank tequila tonight and I haven't touched it in in a few years. :bed:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone every skated to "Eres Tu" We did a dance to it at our studio when I was young and I always thought it would make a good program. It's song by Mocedades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naAC37W42ro

Why do I love this song so much?!:laugh2: You posted this once before and I went around singing it for a week!

On another note, how about that Lambiel "Poeta"? His spins and final step sequence are just glorious, along with that final pose. Wow!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of doing a thread like this for St. Patrick's Day. :bang: :bang: :bang:

We could have had a day posting all our favourite Riverdance programmes, Gary Moore programmes, and other programmes featuring Irish music!!! :disapp:

And Gary Moore's birthday was a month ago, so we can't even use that as an excuse. :drama:

Oh well! Just have to remember to do it next year. :agree: :biggrin:

It's interesting that you guys commemorate a battle from long ago with parades and celebrations, and refer to it by the date. It's almost like something we would do... :p

A bit late now, but:

:cheer: Happy Cinco de Mayo everybody! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Barb

Record Breaker
I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of doing a thread like this for St. Patrick's Day. :bang: :bang: :bang:

We could have had a day posting all our favourite Riverdance programmes, Gary Moore programmes, and other programmes featuring Irish music!!! :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

Is St. Patrick's Day celebrated in your country just like in the United States?

If someone want to live a real mexican party, you should come on sep 15th at night at any city or town in the country. We celebrate our independence day (16 sept) with a big party called El grito (The scream :laugh:) http://imgur.com/a/3N7hK

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Is St. Patrick's Day celebrated in your country just like in the United States?

Of course! St. Patrick is the patron saint of the whole island of Ireland. Although Northern Ireland is politically part of the UK, we are physically part of the island of Ireland. So, we can claim the best bits from both countries! :biggrin:

Although one community does try to claim it as their own, St. Patrick's Day is a celebration for everybody. :agree:

Hey, any excuse for a celebration, and we'll take it! :biggrin: :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :hb:

Here is a video somebody uploaded of this year's parade in Belfast. Unfortunately, it was a wet day, so a lot of floats and people were under wraps.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Of course! St. Patrick is the patron saint of the whole island of Ireland. Although Northern Ireland is politically part of the UK, we are physically part of the island of Ireland. So, we can claim the best bits from both countries! :biggrin:

Although one community does try to claim it as their own, St. Patrick's Day is a celebration for everybody. :agree:

Hey, any excuse for a celebration, and we'll take it! :biggrin: :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :hb:

Here is a video somebody uploaded of this year's parade in Belfast. Unfortunately, it was a wet day, so a lot of floats and people were under wraps.

CaroLiza_fan

well, that seems a very healthy celebration, once I was in San Diego that day, there were a lot of young people totally drunk and some probably in drugs in the streets, my taxi almost ran over some guys :scard7:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
well, that seems a very healthy celebration, once I was in San Diego that day, there were a lot of young people totally drunk and some probably in drugs in the streets, my taxi almost ran over some guys :scard7:

Oh, don't get me wrong, that sort of stuff happens here too. Particularly in the "Holylands" area of Belfast, which is inhabited mostly by students (if you are wondering why it is called that, it is because of the names of the streets in that area - Jerusalem Street, Damascus Street, Palestine Street, Cairo Street, etc.)

I was hesitant to publicise this, but here is a series of videos from this year in the Holylands: 1, 2, 3.

(This was later on in the day, after the weather had improved. But, you can see that the road is still damp.)

The scary thing is, I know that at least one person I know took part in that! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
I for one love the fifth of May, but for different reasons. It's both the celebration of the ending of the Second World War in the Netherlands and my birthday. When I was growing up, there used to be celebrations everywhere, we would go out and my Uncle would tell me everyone was celebrating my birthday, but I knew from school that was not the case. Anway, 5 May is special here, even though the celebrations aren't nationally done everywhere anymore. We were even at work on the fifth of May. I wonder what other countries have special celebration days on this date.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I for one love the fifth of May, but for different reasons. It's both the celebration of the ending of the Second World War in the Netherlands and my birthday. When I was growing up, there used to be celebrations everywhere, we would go out and my Uncle would tell me everyone was celebrating my birthday, but I knew from school that was not the case. Anway, 5 May is special here, even though the celebrations aren't nationally done everywhere anymore. We were even at work on the fifth of May. I wonder what other countries have special celebration days on this date.

Oh, it would be so magical to have your birthday on a day that everybody is celebrating! You must have felt so special.

I wonder if it not being marked any more is something to do with European integration, and the countries trying to put the past behind them and get along with each other.

I suppose that would also explain why the UK doesn't really mark Trafalgar Day or VE Day any more (I don't even know the dates off hand - I have to look them up!)

For your final question, here is the relevant section on the Wikipedia page for 5[SUP]th[/SUP] May:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_5#Holidays_and_observances

And from scrolling up that page, I just noticed that yesterday was Nathan Chen's 18[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday, and Barbara Wagner's 79[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday.

Happy belated birthday sadya, Nathan and Barbara!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :hb:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CaroLiza_fan

The city of Chicago dyes the Chicago River green for St. Patrick's Day. And it's a BRIGHT green like leprechaun green. Supposedly the formula for the dye they use is a secret. Lots and lots of Irish people in Chicago. Good excuse for a parade and a celebration!

Last edited: