How many sharpenings do most blades last? | Golden Skate

How many sharpenings do most blades last?

christy

On the Ice
I know it probably depends on many factors, including the actual blade, rocker, material (carbon, stainless), ROH, ice surface, and sharpener plus skating style, level and use, however I'm just wondering if there is a guideline for how many sharpenings most blades last?
The reason for asking is that some people seem to keep the same boot and blade forever (and also never seem to get them sharpened), whilst others repllace boots and blades every year, and I know several people who have returned to skating after a break and found their blades need to be replaced.
Personally I ask my sharpener for their thoughts once the blades have been sharpened more than 10 times, and iirc the last pair had 20 sharpenings before I replaced them as the sharpener said the rocker was flattening out.

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
As you suspected, the lifespan of the blade is dependent on several factors, with quality and the number of sharpenings being significant. First, it is the responsibility of the person sharpening your blades to do so without altering the profile of the blade or the rocker radius. Therefore, the rocker should not "flatten out." However, if too much pressure is applied while passing over the stone can overheat the blade weakening the steel and removing more steel than is required. That will decrease the useful life of the blade and cause the rocker to flatten.

Of course, poor daily maintenance by the skater can also shorten the life of the blade. When storing blades for an extended period of time, like taking a break, for example, your tech can apply lubricant to the blades to help prevent rust.

In my experience, when blades are properly maintained and sharpened properly by a skilled tech after every 20-30 hours of skating, most skaters can get around 30 sharpenings out of a blade. That said, if you need a need boot before you need a new blade, it may be necessary to replace the blade soon because a different boot may require a different size blade.

I'm sure that others will weigh in, but I hope that helps!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is such a varied response kind of answer. It depends on so many things for each person and how many sharpenings they'll get out of a blade, as well as the abilities of the tech sharpening them. With what I put my blades through, how much I skate, the ROH I prefer, etc I am lucky to get 18-20 out of a pair of blades. There were a few blades that I got 15 out of but that might have had more to do with the JW issues right now than anything. But it does vary depending on also what type and what blade you have. My ice dance blades can get through a different number of sharpenings than my freestyle blades.

It really depends on "you." How many have you been getting and has it been around the same or close?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I get about 20 usually. I'm lucky to be the type of person to sharpen pretty much once a month because I truly do not notice a difference. So that's getting almost two years out of my blades. I also tend to get two years out of my boots nowadays as well.

christy

On the Ice
This is such a varied response kind of answer. It depends on so many things for each person and how many sharpenings they'll get out of a blade, as well as the abilities of the tech sharpening them. With what I put my blades through, how much I skate, the ROH I prefer, etc I am lucky to get 18-20 out of a pair of blades. There were a few blades that I got 15 out of but that might have had more to do with the JW issues right now than anything. But it does vary depending on also what type and what blade you have. My ice dance blades can get through a different number of sharpenings than my freestyle blades.

It really depends on "you." How many have you been getting and has it been around the same or close?
After posting I was thinking about this, and since changing sharpener my blades need to be sharpened a lot more frequently. They've now been sharpened 10 times, so it'll be interesting to see how long they last.