How to get over the fear of jumping smaller? | Golden Skate

How to get over the fear of jumping smaller?

eclipse

Rinkside
I am an adult skater started just under a year ago. Landing axel (working with a qualified coach) at the moment with around 50% landing rate, the rest of the attempts are fully rotated by lead to me sitting down into them.

The issue is that in order to complete the jump I have to jump significantly higher that what is actually needed for a single. I remember when I worked it out it was 0.5seconds in the air vs 0.3 I actually need to rotate it. My coach wants me to now begin working on making the jump smaller and rotate quicker so that I can get it more consistent and get used to the feeling of snapping into rotation as he understands that is going to be a much more difficult skill to build for me. It is the feeling of actually rotating quickly and knowing that it is too small a height that I cannot adjust things if I feel they are off.

Is there any advice for getting over this mental hurdle?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I am an adult skater started just under a year ago. Landing axel (working with a qualified coach) at the moment with around 50% landing rate, the rest of the attempts are fully rotated by lead to me sitting down into them.

The issue is that in order to complete the jump I have to jump significantly higher that what is actually needed for a single. I remember when I worked it out it was 0.5seconds in the air vs 0.3 I actually need to rotate it. My coach wants me to now begin working on making the jump smaller and rotate quicker so that I can get it more consistent and get used to the feeling of snapping into rotation as he understands that is going to be a much more difficult skill to build for me. It is the feeling of actually rotating quickly and knowing that it is too small a height that I cannot adjust things if I feel they are off.

Is there any advice for getting over this mental hurdle?
That is much higher, 0.5 is enough for triples.

Practice jumps, backspins, hopping exercises, landing in back rotation, off ice rotation. When the rotation is fast, then it'll be easier.