Imagine: John Lennon Murderd 25 Years Ago Today 12/8/80 | Golden Skate

Imagine: John Lennon Murderd 25 Years Ago Today 12/8/80

John Lennon was murdered 25 years ago today by a celebrity killer at about 11:45 pm EST in his adopted home city, New York, in front of his apartment at the Dakota, which he shared with his wife Yoko Ono and their five year old, Sean.

Millions of people were greatly affected by John. At the memorial service in John's beloved Central Park a few days after the murder, it was estimated that 100,000 people attended. There was also a 24-hour vigil in front of the Dakota from the night he died until after the Memorial.

Of course, John Lennon also meant nothing to millions of people. Not unusual, IMO. All he was was a singer-songwriter. Yet for others, somehow John was so much more.

I started this thread for people who want to make comments about John Lennon, positive or negative.

For me, there was a heartbreaking quality in John's voice, yet at the same time great joy and an affirmation of life. It's been said that he was the embodiment of irony, that the positive and negative imbued all his thoughts due to the circumstances of his childhood.

As most people know, John's father left the family when he was about four or five, IIRC. In those days, the early 1940s, a single working class mother simply could not take of a child, so John was raised by who John calls "my Aunty." It was John's aunt who introduced him to music, first with the piano.

John's mother returned when he was about 16. They had just begun to re-establish a deep relationship when his mother was killed by a drunk driver, a policeman, when John was 20. Thus in one way or another, John was abandoned by both his parents. IMO, it added depth to a lot of John's music that many rockers of that era simply didn't have. It has been said that the success of the Lennon-McCartney songs was the counterpoint between Paul's positivism bordering on sentimentality combined with Lennon's irony, bordering on sarcasm.

My favorite album is: "John Lennon: Rock 'n Roll." It's a simple a series of early rock music John made in 1975, one of several Beatle group and Beatle solo albums produced, ironically enough, by the now-accused-of-murder, Phil Spector. The songs had influenced John as a young kid and young man, and I thought he sang them with the heart they had been sung with by the teens who had originated them and the soul of a 35-year-old man who was on his lost weekend that lasted 14 months. Yoko had kicked John out and said don't come back until you're ready to commit. Yoko even gave John her assistant, May Pang, as his companion since Yoko knew nothing ever got done unless a woman was there to take care of John.

After his 14-month fraternity party with the likes of Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Keith Richards, and the party hearty guys of British R'nR, John said, "I was out of control. I was having parties like I was still in college. It was great for a while, but guess what folks, I was 35. My body couldn't take it," meaning the booze, the drugs, and the women. So John returned to Yoko, totally committed. They had Sean and John became the house-husband for just short of five years.

In fact, John didn't even pick up his guitar for almost five years. Instead he baked bread, took Sean to the park, the zoo, the circus, and just gave all of himself to his son. Then, in October-November of 1980, John felt the muse again. He picked up his guitar and wrote all the songs for the album "Double Fantasy" in three weeks.

The celebrity killer, whose name I refuse to say because it's just what he wants, flew from his home in Hawaii twice to kill Lennon. The first time he saw John with Sean and couldn't do it. The second time, John was returning from a recording session of "Double Fantasy." As Lennon was about to leave for the the killer said, and has proof, that John had signed the killer's copy of a Beatle album and had been very solicitous, saying, "Is there anything else I can do for you?" But the killer was in a world of his own, another killer influenced by the great and wonderful book The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. To him, John was the ultimate phony (if you've read the book, that will make sense) and needed to be killed.

John would have been 65 on October 9, 2005. John's son Sean's birthday is also Oct. 9. At the time of his death, John had also re-established relations with his first born son, Julien, to the point where, according to Julien, he could call John from Great Britain, say, "Dad, can I come for a visit?" and John's response would be "Sure!" But it had only started getting comfortable in the last year or two.

So, "John Lennon: Rock 'n Roll" ia my favorite album, with my favorite song from

Last edited:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Thanks, Rgirl. I've been feeling it too. I'll never forget that night - where I was, how I heard, and how it felt. I can't believe it's been 25 years.
Usually your rock and roll heroes manage to take themselves out, one way or another. That John was murdered still shocks me. I hope they never release the murderous lunatic that killed him.
I'm in head-to-toe black today. It wasn't intentional mourning, but it seems completely appropriate. I heard "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" on the way to work this morning and had to pull over.
I really want to end this with a meaningful quote but can't come up with one.
Peace -
Ravyn

Aw, Ravyn. John didn't have meaningful quotes. Just a meaningful life for himself and his loved ones, and he happened to write meaningfule songs for millions of people.

I think he would have loved "Peace" more than anything. Didn't know the guy. Just my guess.

NYC all day and tonight. The radio is already killing me.

How many times in your life are you all alone in a studio in Salt Lake City, up where there's nobody around, about 10:00 pm, and a total stranger starts banging on the window, yelling, "JOHN'S DEAD! THEY SHOT HIM! JOHN'S EFFING DEAD" and there's not a doubt for a moment in your mind who John is--how many times does that happen? Only once, I hope, and I hated just that once.

Hang in there, Ravyn.

Rgirl

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I just read a really moving article on the anniversary:
http://www.commondreams.org/views05/1208-33.htm

There were two women who commemorated the anniversary each year, all by themselves, in our courthouse square. I haven't seen them in years, but I think I'm going to look for them this evening.
As for "peace", it seems to me that the best way to honor John's memory would be to work for it.
"Power to the people!" :)
Thanks again, Rgirl.
xoxo
Rave

bronxgirl

Medalist
Rgirl said:
John didn't have meaningful quotes. Just a meaningful life for himself and his loved ones, and he happened to write meaningfule songs for millions of people.

Rgirl

As much as I loved John Lennon's music, and mourn his senseless death, please let's not gloss over the fact that he was quite cruel to his first wife and son. Wheth it was intentional or not, these two people suffered a great deal of emotional hurt at John's hands

JOHIO2

Medalist
John's murder marked the true end of my childhood. Everyone says it's you first child, but it was the death of a teenage idol that really did it.

bronxgirl said:
As much as I loved John Lennon's music, and mourn his senseless death, please let's not gloss over the fact that he was quite cruel to his first wife and son. Wheth it was intentional or not, these two people suffered a great deal of emotional hurt at John's hands
Not untrue, but not without two sides to the story. Unintentionally cruel to son Julian, at least until John was in his late 30s, without a doubt, but in most divorces the children suffer most.

But then all of the Beatles who married while they were Beatles, especially during the first three total chaos years, divorced. John was the only one with a child, which was the reason he mentioned Cynthia. According to Cynthia, John wrote her (she didn't say when) that he'd been a "right bast**d" where Julian was concerned.

I'm sure Cynthia suffered early in their marriage--try total pandimonium everywhere you go with your husband--and during the divorce. But I daresay that once they reconciled as friends and parents of Julian, Cynthia was much better off in her situation than with a man who didn't love her and who was murdered.

I'm not sticking up for John for what he did. He WAS a "right bast**d" to a lot of people. And as someone who knows the people who were John and Yoko's personal physical therapists for five years, I'm not saying 90% of what I heard from them. For one thing, it's hearsay (not a court, I know), but it could be if any of Lennon or Yoko's lawyers are figure skating fans and read what I could say.

But who besides those four guys know what it was like when they were touring, working 24 hours a day, and the sheer insanity of it all?

No matter the circumstances, we all eff up and do make the ones we love, especially, suffer. Usually the more fame and money you have, the more you do. And if you think you haven't done so and never will, just wait. Either that or have "Savior" tatooed on your...someplace.;)

There's a 1988 documentary called "Imagine: John Lennon" directed by Andrew Solt that IMO presents the good, the bad, and the ugly of Lennon--at least a fair amount of the ugly given that videos didn't run 24 hours a day back in the '60s and '70s. I think it's a good rental no matter how you feel about Lennon.

Anyway, tell it like you feel it, Bronzgirl! That's why I love New Yorkers and expect I always will.:)

Rgirl

Last edited:
Ravyn Rant said:
I just read a really moving article on the anniversary:
http://www.commondreams.org/views05/1208-33.htm

There were two women who commemorated the anniversary each year, all by themselves, in our courthouse square. I haven't seen them in years, but I think I'm going to look for them this evening.
As for "peace", it seems to me that the best way to honor John's memory would be to work for it.
"Power to the people!" :)
Thanks again, Rgirl.
xoxo
Rave
What a wonderful article, entitled "The Night John Lennon Died." I think John would have done the Freddy in honor of the irony. These guys heard John had been shot dead at a bar where "Herman's Hermits" were playing--without "Herman" (Peter Noone) because he was in a snit over some band thing, which I bet John would have understood as "been there, done that, many, many times," lol.

"As for "peace", it seems to me that the best way to honor John's memory would be to work for it." Now THAT'S the way to go!

I love how the article notes that 25 years is the average span of a human life--yes, in 2005. Work for peace, work to feed the hungry, work for right to live, work for right to die, work for whatever really matters and truly moves you.

Beautiful post, Ravyn Rant. Not a name, but indeed, a way of life.
((((((HUG))))))
Rgirl