International Skating Union defends the ISU Judging System | Page 2 | Golden Skate

International Skating Union defends the ISU Judging System

vtgal

Rinkside
Love this quote...."Seems like the crooked people who run the sport were mad their riggage in 2002 got discovered so they adjusted the rules to help them get away with it better in the future."

Hah! There IS common sense in this world. And folks, this is why so many people no longer care about figure skating, compared to 20 years ago. Very sad for the sport.

Ven

Match Penalty
Love this quote...."Seems like the crooked people who run the sport were mad their riggage in 2002 got discovered so they adjusted the rules to help them get away with it better in the future."

Hah! There IS common sense in this world. And folks, this is why so many people no longer care about figure skating, compared to 20 years ago. Very sad for the sport.

Someone who knows nothing about figure skating, that was their first reaction. Spot on!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
whups...lost my reply I think...will try again....It is fact as MM says...I would like to know the nationalities of those that voted to let Speedy do this. I would also like the odds at picking a convicted cheating judge and the wife of a the Russian Fed. president if the 9 judges were picked from a "pool" of 13. Why in blazes would you only pic a pool of 13 if you wanted the appearance of honesty?

Actually, that is not opinionated or controversial at all. Just fact. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
whups...lost my reply I think...will try again....It is fact as MM says...I would like to know the nationalities of those that voted to let Speedy do this. I would also like the odds at picking a convicted cheating judge and the wife of a the Russian Fed. president if the 9 judges were picked from a "pool" of 13. Why in blazes would you only pic a pool of 13 if you wanted the appearance of honesty?

It is fully expected that Didier Gailhaguet is going to become the next head of the ISU. A crook leading the crooks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Olympic_Winter_Games_figure_skating_scandal

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Boilerplate. This isn't going away. I'm sure the relevant parties involved calculated the risks to fixing the results, and have a response plan to minimize the backlash, but the cheating of these hard working and courageous athletes was so obvious that people will not stand for it.

Yes, and excruciatingly noncommittal into the bargain. The ISU lawyers racked up a couple of billable hours for that one for sure. ;)

I am not sure about this, but I think Speedy's reign was extended by acclamation.

About the judges' pool, there is a selection by country far in advance of the event. All the countries that have qualified judges put their names in a hat and they draw out 13. Then each national federation that is drawn nominates a judge. So once Russia and Ukraine have been drawn, the choice of which individual to seat is then out of the hands of the ISU.

Out of the thirteen they draw nine to sit on the short program panel, and designate (by draw) four to be replaced for the long. For the long the four judges who sat out the SP replace those four for the LP.

(I think that's right. Any experts out there that can correct this?)

jehan215

On the Ice
I always wondered… why is there only one or two Asian judges on the panel? Out of nine judges at Ladies FS, only one was Japanese. The rest were from Europe or North America… Is it not possible to spread it equally amongst the areas? Maybe we need more judges too? LOL

Ven

Match Penalty
I always wondered… why is there only one or two Asian judges on the panel? Out of nine judges, only one was Japanese. The rest were from Europe or North America… Is it not possible to spread it equally amongst the areas? Maybe we need more judges too? LOL

Rachmaninoff quoted elsewhere that Speedy allowed corrupt judges because they are better than idiots. According to speedy, you only get two choices, either someone who knows nothing about skating, or someone who has cheated in the past.

I always wondered… why is there only one or two Asian judges on the panel? Out of nine judges, only one was Japanese. The rest were from Europe or North America… Is it not possible to spread it equally amongst the areas? Maybe we need more judges too? LOL

There are way more ISU members (countries) in Europe than in North America and Asia. Former Soviet Republics alone count for quite a few. Plus, not eery country has ISU qualified judges.

About the "more judges" part. more is always better. But for this Olympics they cut down the number of judges from 13 to 9 to save money. (They don't pay the judges, but judges get a modest per diem, hotel, etc.) This change, too, was done in violation of the ISU constitution. Such changes can by made only by a vote of the full Congress, but because of shortness of time the ISU council just decided to do it on their own.

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I always wondered… why is there only one or two Asian judges on the panel? Out of nine judges at Ladies FS, only one was Japanese. The rest were from Europe or North America… Is it not possible to spread it equally amongst the areas? Maybe we need more judges too? LOL

I actually wish they could set up the panel so that no country with a skater in the top 6 could have a judge for the LP. Probably not feasible, though.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am all amazement. So, Germany, with its 15 ISU judges and 17 international judges capable of judging Pairs and singles, has the same odds as Hong Kong, with its one international judge? And somehow 4 comm bloc countries won the pool out of all nations with Judges / (ISU Communication 1692) 46 Nations...well, lots of them ARE ex-Soviets.....
Speedy stayed in power through proclamation? I would still like to know who was proclomating.......

at putting up a judge
I am not sure about this, but I think Speedy's reign was extended by acclamation.

About the judges' pool, there is a selection by country far in advance of the event. All the countries that have qualified judges put their names in a hat and they draw out 13. Then each national federation that is drawn nominates a judge. So once Russia and Ukraine have been drawn, the choice of which individual to seat is then out of the hands of the ISU.

Out of the thirteen they draw nine to sit on the short program panel, and designate (by draw) four to be replaced for the long. For the long the four judges who sat out the SP replace those four for the LP.

(I think that's right. Any experts out there that can correct this?)

usethis2

Medalist
System is neutral as far as the rules are concerned. As soon as human elements get in it becomes much more complicated than that.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Guys, I got the original letter of the statement before censured.

The ISU is strongly committed to conducting performance evaluations strictly and fairly “ so that Adelina who earned 59 in short in 2013 Worlds with a perfect program can get 15 point more as long as she made it like that in Sochi” and has adequate procedures “ that creates an illusion that Adelina is a skater with same quality and caliber like Kim or Asada by having her start free with 75” in place to ensure the proper running of the sporting competitions “ which makes people believe that she is running neck-to-neck competition”. The officiating judges were selected by random drawing from a pool of 13 potential judges, “which is easily used for our defense if things go wrong ”. All judges in an event represent different ISU member federations, “which is our best defense as long as we already set up the stage by boosting Julia's score throughout last season because they couldn't possible suspect this final shot with Adelina” . The Ladies’ free skating panel included judges from Canada, Estonia, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, Slovakia and Ukraine, “which explains why the judging scandal in 2002 or before were just a myth because even at that time the judges were not all Russian”. To avoid exaggerated markings the highest and the lowest scores entered by the judges are excluded to produce the final score, “but instead we already gave Adelina the same marks top skaters and additionally position Russians or pro-Russian judges so that they can add crowd points”. The technical panel determines the elements of each performed program, “ based on Adelina's or any Russian's short score so that their free mark not only secures a win but also justifies the win itself”. The judges add a mark, grading the quality of the skater’s execution of the elements so identified, “ except Adelina for whom wining points are guaranteed” . The technical marks and the artistic presentation marks are added together to produce the final score of the skater, “ especially what we envision as the wining score for Adelina.

The ISU has not received any official protest, “and remains skeptical of any possibility of such because we are confident that our comrade Putin's promise to send any dissenter to Gulag” with regard to the Ladies’ Free Skating event or any other event held during the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games and is confident in to the high quality “of our faculties of being accessory to corruption” and integrity of “Putin's figure skating and his assistance to manipulating the mathematical device of” the ISU judging system."

I am all amazement. So, Germany, with its 15 ISU judges and 17 international judges capable of judging Pairs and singles, has the same odds as Hong Kong, with its one international judge?

I am not entirely sure how that works out. Certainly the most powerful federations get "randomly selected" more often than the weak sisters. But we do see countries like Mexico, South Africa, etc. on judging panels from time to time. (?)

gimble

On the Ice
I actually wish they could set up the panel so that no country with a skater in the top 6 could have a judge for the LP. Probably not feasible, though.

This is what I hope for too. It just appears suspicious.

1. no anonymous judging. I understand that anonymity can be used to support the opposite goals: honesty and dishonesty. I think it is perceived as a vehicle for more dishonest and ulterior motives in many observers' mind.

2. removal of the judges from the countries whose skaters are in the last two groups; or something similar (conflicts of interest).