Interview Nikolay Morozov | Golden Skate

Interview Nikolay Morozov

galka

Rinkside
http://www.nevasport.ru/articles.php?id=4200
Translation:
Nikolay Morozov: the Present triumpher of recently come to the end championship of Europe in Budapest experts and journalists have named Nikolay Morozov. The Russian trainer working in America and the choreographer has put champion programs Brian Joubert and Julia Sebastien. And still bulgarian to Ivan Dinevu and supporting Finland Alise Drej, to Belgian Kevin van den Perren and to the Ukrainian dancing duet Elena Grushina - Ruslan Goncharov. In the world championship to this list such stars, as Michel Kvan, Takeshi Honda, SHizuka Arakava will be added also.
From Tarasova - Having received popularity as the choreographer, you nevertheless do not refuse and trainer's activity. Whom did you sponsor on ECH? - the Ukrainian dancing pair and the Belgian van den Perren. In America in my group some more known dancing pairs train. At me are engaged Arseny Markov and Daniel Barantsev. The first already acted with new partner in the championship of Canada, the second hopes to represent the USA.
Than you were guided, having agreed to train to Grushina and Goncharov which all have already given up as hopeless? - During the stay of assistant Tatyana Tarasova I gave a lot of time to this duet. Opportunities of Elena and Ruslan to me are well-known. The third place on ECH-2004 at all a ceiling for this duet.
- Leaving Lena and Ruslan from Tarasovato you has not affected your mutual relations with in trainer's craft? - Guys have decided to change the trainer of that in group Tarasov? there came Israelis Galit CH?tt and Sergey Sahnovsky. When beside two pairs applying for the same places train, always there is rather unhealthy atmosphere.
For girlfrend - But in an Olympic season you together with Tarasovoj worked with the pairs also competing for a place on a podium.
- I understand, on what you hint. All in fact know, that Shae-Lynn Burn - mine the girl-friend. However it does not mean, that to it and Victor Kraatz more advantageous programs have been put, than to Barbara Fuzar-Poli and Mauritsio Margalo. Italians expected to win on Olympiad, and Canadians understood: him will not allow it to make under no circumstances. . Eventually, Barbara and Mauritsio have chosen music for an Olympic composition. They were working world champions and have counted, that do not require advice of the trainer and the director. That from this has left, all have seen in Salt Lake City.
-You girlfrend on popularity in Canada does not concede to stars of NHL. Whether arises at you a complex of "shadow" of the known woman? - But we live and we work in America where her and in streets not always learn. In Canada really sometimes it was difficult to leave from hotel. But we about Shae-Lynn perfectly get on. I had no problems when trained her, and especially I have no them now when my schoolgirl and beloved began me to assist in work.
- You with identical ease put programs and to dancing pairs, and individual. - So in fact till seventeen years was engaged in group at Victor Kudryavtsev. It then on dances it was switched. So all nuances of jumps and paths of steps has studied on own experience. Same Takeshi Honda in the last season not only has put the program, but also has shown how unmistakably to execute jumps. When it on three tournaments has not broken any jump successively, even trainers of modular Japan were surprised

After Yagudin- What is the time leaves on statement of a composition? - Differently. It is usually necessary to work seriously week-one and a half, but there are exceptions. Kvan and Honda everyone seize the same hurriedly, and we are controlled for some days..

- Whether the truth, what after transition to Robin Wagner with the request for statement of new programs to you has addressed Sasha Cohen? - Is not present. It basically is impossible: I put in this season of program Kvan, main konkurent Cohen in combined team of the USA. Both itself Sasha, and its mum very jealously to similar things concern. Probably, similar hearings have appeared that Sasha with new coash some time trained on a skating rink where I work also.

As you concern to that in any program put by you analogies to Alexey Jagudina's well-known Olympic composition "Winter" search.

- In the short program of an opportunity for creativity in general are limited. Kohl the effective path why her to not use has been found? Figure skaters with whom I cooperate, have nothing against. And if you have noticed, on ECH-2004 in old program Joubert "Hours" the path was a little bit strong. Even those who named the French figure skater " clone Yagudin " earlier, abstains now from similar definitions.

- Tarasova in the interviews asserted, that during three years gave two masters-classes: one for figure skater Jagudin, another - for trainer Morozov....
Is really so: Tatyana Tarasova has learned me to all nuances of hard craft. I did not have plans to become the trainer. So there were circumstances. I went for a drive in pair with Ekaterina Davydova, former partner Roman Kostomarov. Three months Tarasova worked with us free-of-charge. At us it was not simple money to pay.Indefinitely so could not proceed and, having met Tatyana Tarasova in France, has approached to it with a huge bouquet of colors to thank for teamwork. In the answer has received from it completely improbable offer to help with work with Yagudin. There was it before WCH99 in Helsinki so my serious trainer's experience makes only 5 years.

Without Russians - you do not consider, what have betraid TArasova?
We have left in a civilized way, we did not have neither creative, nor financial disagreements. Simply everyone has decided to go to any moment the road. In the beginning of last season Tarasova with the pupils has moved on other skating rink, and I have remained on where our group before worked.

Speak, that this skating rink belongs personally to you...

Well you! Arena the local bank owns, there there is a director and the manager. The another matter, that except for me anybody from trainers on figure skating there does not work. In the evening ice is given hockey players, and morning and day time - to me. Two or three once a year we give a series of demonstration performances. For everyone gather on 3 thousand spectators, and the skating rink receives quite good profit.
- Why you do not cooperate with anybody from Russians nor as the trainer, as the choreographer?

- To me nobody addresses with the similar request. Americans, Japanese, the Frenchmen, now here ukranian are asked. Compatriots for some reason attention do not favour yet. Even example Yagudin does not inspire them

jesslily

Final Flight
I am interested about this article, but unfortunately I can not understand it very well.
Galka, could you find someone to translate it a little more clear?
:) :) :) :) :)

Antilles

Medalist
Yikes, I got half way through and had to stop. I'm getting a headache. :) Thanks for posting though. What I got from it was quite interesting.

galka

Rinkside
Now I shall try to make my translation. I have copied the text from our forum.For me all was clear,it is possible from that I read on Russian.

The Russian trainer working in America and the choreographer has put champion programs Brian Joubert and Julia Sebastien.?orozov has made choreographies Ivan Dinev and Finn Alise Drei , to Belgian Kevin van den Perren and to the Ukrainian dancing duet Elena Grushina - Ruslan Goncharov.On the world championship such stars, as Michel Kwan, Takeshi Honda, Shizuka Arakava will be added also.

From Tarasova

-You it is known as the choreographer, you nevertheless do not refuse and trainer's activity. Who was with you on the championship to Europe?

- The Ukrainian dancing pair and the Belgian van den Perren.In America in my group some more known dancing pairs train.I train Arseny Markov and Danail Barantsev.Markov already acted with new partner in the championship of Canada,Barantsev hopes to represent the USA.

-Why to Grushin? and Goncharov, came to you?
-As assistant Tatyana Tarasov? I gave a lot of time to this duet.Opportunities of ?lena and Ruslan to me are well-known.The third place on the championship Europe-2004 at all a ceiling for this duet.

- Leaving Elena and Ruslan from Tarasova to you were not reflected in your mutual relations?

-They have decided to change the trainer because in group Tarasova came Israelis Galit Chait and Sergey Sahnovsky.

if it is clear, it is possible to translate all

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Very interesting article, especially the part about why he works with others and not Russian skaters.

His answer that no Russians have asked him yet is obviously true, but I think it's maybe more. Perhaps the Russians fell that they have so many great choreographers that they don't need him. Perhaps his style is more in tune with US and Japanese people. I don't know, but I find it interesting.

I didn't realize that Shae-Lynn was that big a star in Canada. A big skating star, obviously, but mobbed outside hotel rooms like Madonna?

I also wonder if his comment about the Cohen's jealousy was a hint that they had a part in his split with TT.

IMO, all choreographers get in a bind. One can actually look at a dance (or skate) and name the choreographer. I find Russian choreograhers much too busy in their programs of singles. Howevever in Dance, they do excell and I think that has rubbed off with choreographers around the world.

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I agree. Romeo&Juliette was waaaaay better than I Will Survive. It was more like a show program than an Oly FD. In fact, it was really croud friendly at SOI.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I am not sure he is not being a little disingenious when he says no Russians have asked him. I believe TT has charged her Russian students far less than non-Russian ones. Is he willing to do the same? Many of TT's students lived at her house -- would he provide them with the same? In short, Russian skaters in general don't have the resources of their international counterparts. Given that there are plenty of decent choreographers at home, why go for the expense of Morozov?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation and the link to the other translation.

(Left a pregnant wife for Shae-Lynn? Sounds disgusting... and so sad! Okay, moving back to SKATING...):eek: :rolleye: :p

jesslily

Final Flight
If what people said about Morozov's personal life is true, it really makes him looked not that good in my mind. As for choreography and music, he mostly uses the music some elite skaters have used. Sure he cut them in a more dramatic way. He does have a fixed format and every time he makes a new program, he just fill in some inbetweens. AP's this year long program "Swan Lake" is done by Morozov. I think the program is worse than any program AP has performed.:\

2WhereUR

Rinkside
Article

I would have liked to read this article, but it was very hard to understand what the words themselves even meant.

ouridol

On the Ice
Thanks for the article. I don't really like Morozov, the guy. He seems conceited in his interviews and sort of rude. There are a lot of his programs I just can't stand, some of them seem so unreal..and, well fake..:rolleye: And he wouldnt even be here if it wasnt for TT...