Irina Rodnina on Russian sports management | Golden Skate

Irina Rodnina on Russian sports management

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I found this article interesting because of how Rodnina talks about the need for Russia to follow the example of America.

http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/25726.html
Three-time Olympic figure skating champion Irina Rodnina conducted a seminar for “Competitive Sport Management”. She talked about the problems facing athletic develpment in Russia, outlined her plan for getting out of the situation, and explained how American example can be beneficial for Russia.

“Three-time Olympic champion is begging for some money for children’s competitions.” Irina Rodnina, the chairperson of the central committee of the all-Russian voluntary organization “Athletic Russia”, considers this sentence humiliating, but uses it quite a lot – it works. A recent contract with “United Russia”[1] obliges the latter to help with seven massive children competitions. Rodnina considers the development of national children’s athletic programs to be of the utmost important; moreover, she views it as a purely political issue, with impact not only on the nation’s health, but on its very survival. To those who prefer not to think of those abstract issues, she sites the dry and very real statistic – a child’s attendance of a sports school costs the government about 6,000 – 8,000[2] rubles annually, while a child’s year in prison costs between 130,000 and 150,000[3] rubles. However, Irina Rodnina’s seminar went further than the problems of children’s sport. That’s understandable, as she herself has always personified primarily the elite sport. Very elite. As elite as it gets.

Note: Irina Konstantinovna Rodnina. Born in 1949. Graduated from the athletic CSKA school, and the National Institute of Physical Culture. Recognized master of sport. Three-time Olympic champion, ten-time World champion, and an eleven-time European champion in pair skating. Coached at the International Figure Skating center in Lake Arrowhead, USA, and prepared World pair champions Radka Kovarikova and Rene Novotny of the Czech Republic. Holds Lenin medal, Labor of Red Flag medal, and a medal for “Service to the Country” of 3d degree. Author of the book “Rough Ice”. Currently a member of the Presidential council of physical culture and sport, chairperson of the Central committee of the all-Russian voluntary organization “Athletic Russia”, president of the public academy of athletic achievements “Glory”, and a head of her own ice center.

«Two beer, please»[4]. Irina Rodnina on problems of Russian sports management. “Those problems are huge, hard to solve, and apply to all levels of athletic structures of the country. The main reason, as I see it, is that the Russian sports leadership still has the Soviet style officials, with a Soviet way of thinking. I am not saying they’re all bad people, but they are adverse to anything new; they are used to relying on numbers as opposed to skills; understandably, they don’t want to give up their places to give way to young officials with modern views. Consider this – National Olympic Committee of the USA employs 22 people; National Olympic Committee of Russia employs 160. Additionally, according to its own report, it spends 60% of the resources it gets from the IOC for the “organization of its own work”. There are different ways to evaluate this work, but trust me when I say that the athletic officials have nothing to do with the medals our athletes and coaches are winning at the Olympics. When those officials get a chance to defend the interests of Russian athletes, in other words in the very thing they’re paid to do, they are usually helpless. Can you recall even one international judging or doping scandal that our officials managed to resolve in our athletes’ favor? Of course not! It’s not even that they don’t want to do it. They just can’t. You cannot defend you country’s interests in a thing like that without being a competent lawyer. They, meanwhile, are not lawyers. You also cannot resolve those conflicts through an interpreter. Meanwhile, most of the members of our Olympic committee don’t speak any languages outside Russian; the same thing can be said of people representing Russia in various International sports federations. All they can say in English is “Two beer, please”. No wonder we’ve lost all authority in the world – all the key questions, be it about changes in the rules of competition or about specific tournaments – are decided without us. It’s not, as many think, because “they don’t like us”. No, it’s just that they cannot understand us, since, due to all the aforementioned reasons, we cannot clearly express ourselves.

Things aren’t much better in the National sports federations. In my opinion, the major problem here is that, as opposed to most of the world’s countries, Russian sports federations are financed out of the national budget, even though technically they remain public organizations, as is the Olympic committee. Each federation gets about 1.5 million dollars a year. However, when representatives of the Federal agency of physical culture and sport try to get a report on how the money is spent, they usually hear a reply – “According to Russian laws, the government has no right to interfere in the activities of public organizations”. In other words, the federations are not accountable to anyone.

The accountability question, or the “how is the money spent”, is not an idle one in this case. It’s an issue of our sport and its achievements. Consider this – right now, coaches of the caliber of Tatiana Tarasova, Tamara Moskvina, and Elena Tchaikovskaya, in other words those who actually get paid by the federations, are earning 12,000[5] rubles a month. What can we then say about the coaches for children’s and junior sports schools (their average age, by the way, is now 52 or 53, since young people won’t put up with such a pauper’s salary)! What can we say about the level of the figure skating coaches who are now working with the kids’ groups – most of them have never even been to Russian nationals due to their level! At the same time, it is those coaches who are supposed to lay the foundation, and to teach what we used to call “figures” – be it edging technique or jump preparation. How they teach a child determines a lot. However, those coaches are incapable of teaching well. Actually, their main goal is not to teach well but to make ends mean (and who can blame them?!). They spend whatever extra minute they have not on the most talented children, but on those whose parents are willing to pay directly to the coach for that extra minute.

As a result, we have a failure. Of course, I am far from blaming it all on our sports federations; ultimately, much of today’s problems are rooted in late 80’s and early 90’s, when Soviet Union was falling apart, and the decades-old system of athletes’ preparation was going with it. However, the fact is that we are now back to the level of 1964. That year, the USSR figure skating team at the Winter Olympics in Innsbruck was represented by two singles, one pair, and one dance team. Most likely, that’s how our team for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics will look like; we have no one, we simply haven’t prepared skaters of the level sufficient for the medal contention.

I see the recipe for recovery of sports federations in organizing their work similarly to how it’s done in other effective places such as the USA. Their, the federations live not on the National budget, but on the fees of the sports clubs that form those federations. Consequently the federation leadership is elected by the leaders of the sports clubs, is accountable to the sports clubs, and is therefore forced to defend the interests of the sports clubs and athletes, not their own. I would also use America’s example in organizing athletic centers, camps, and schools. I know what I’m talking about as I coached at the International figure skating center in Lake Arrowhead for several years. In 1990, I became the second Russian athlete after Vyacheslav Fetisov to leave USSR with a personal contract in USA.”

“Each square meter must bring a square ruble”. Irina Rodnina on organization of athletic centers in the USA. “I will talk about figure skating as I know it best, but in general everything I will say about America can be applied to other sports as well. So, my first shock in USA was that each lesson I had to conduct as a coach was planned to last only 20 minutes. We weren’t used to that in the Soviet Union – what can be done in such a short time?! At first, I’d prolong my lessons, obviously without asking for extra pay. Very soon, someone from the Center’s leadership told me, “Of course, you can continue with this, but pleas consider that by doing this you’re lowering your own rating, and even the Center’s rating as well.” This is a basic principle of their professional ethics – all work must be compensated accordingly. Nobody there will ever consider running a loss-making athletic center. Quite the opposite, they must bring in the profit. And they do.

Everybody who trained in Lake Arrowhead had to pay all they way. You pay for the membership. If you need extra practices, you pay for that. You pay for passing the tests that you must pass to get to compete. You pay for perfecting the compulsory program and the exhibition piece. You pay for everything. With that, the Center’s percentage was athletes aiming for the elite sport, the Worlds, and the Olympics never exceeded 2 percent. The majority were children and youths, often not in very good health, and often with serious psychological issues. We’ve had alcoholics and drug addicts in various stages of rehabilitation, asthma sufferers, and the kids whose parents were going through divorce. In addition, there were separate groups for the elderly, though they did not pay much out of their own pockets, as most of their fees were paid by their retirement funds. The main aim of the center’s administration in working with those very diverse groups of people was in constantly offering them something new to encourage continuing lessons even for those who have obviously reached their potential, and can never reach the new level even in theory.

The Center’s administration succeeded in its task. Even though the Center’s lessons were rather expensive, the Lake Arrowhead ice was occupied down to the minute, and was never idle. The first lesson start at five in the morning, the last one ended at night, and additional lessons were conducted between 10 and 2 in the morning. To be fair, I have to say that the Lake Arrowhead Center’s administration does not deserve all the credit. America is a country where athletic activity is encouraged in all ways, including financially, as even the most modest athletic achievements promise one substantial rewards. For example, it’s enough to participate in the USA National figure skating championships to get an education grant; considering that higher education in the USA can cost between 30 and 50 thousand dollars a year, that does make a difference. A person participating in sports can expect a better deal on his medical insurance. And the list of benefits just goes on.”

… whereas in Russia. “Unfortunately, we’re not seeing any of this in our country. The main reason for it is again a lack of competent management. Our country has adopted a program, dictating 4000 various new athletic centers by 2015, catering not only to elite sport, but to the mass consumer as well. The question is, who will manage those centers, who will organize efficient use of them, and who will make them profitable? (So far, the vast majority of Russian sports centers lose money. Only fitness and tennis clubs bring their owners consistent profits.) We catastrophically lack new management material; we can’t rely on retired colonels who often managed stadiums and sports camps during Soviet Times.

In addition, I have doubts that those centers will be built in a way that will make them easy to manage efficiently. I’ve come to this conclusion after struggling with my own ice center; it designed by “Mosproject-2”, received all kinds of architectural prizes, and was absolutely vetoed by me. I won’t go into details, but will just say that the “zamboni operator’s office” was planned to be of a size more appropriate for a wedding ballroom. It was a huge room, doomed to be empty. Apparently, those who designed the project did not understand (though they were supposed to), that modern sport is a business, and that the use of an athletic center is a business, where everything has to be functional and logical, and where every square meter must yield a square ruble. Until we understand this, we are unlikely to get anywhere.”

Eurosport - RMA - 04/07/2007 16:54
http://www.eurosport.ru/figureskating/sport_sto1232795.shtml

[1] Government party.
[2] Between 200 and 270 USD
[3] Up to 5,000 USD
[4] This phrase is in English in the original, with the obvious grammatical error.
[5] $400

sillylionlove

Medalist
Very interesting article. Thanks as always for the translation. Interesting about her point of view on American sports training!!

As I understand it, the "U.S. model" (or Lake Arrowhead model) that Ms. Rodnina is advocating goes like this. Thousands upon thousands of people who wish to learn to skate flock to the local clubs, with tens of thousands of dollars in hand. This should happen in Russia, too.

Well, why not? II am sure that Russia has it's share of

"children and youths, often not in very good health, and often with serious psychological issues. [At lake Arrowhead] we’ve had alcoholics and drug addicts in various stages of rehabilitation, asthma sufferers, and the kids whose parents were going through divorce. In addition, there were separate groups for the elderly, though they did not pay much out of their own pockets, as most of their fees were paid by their retirement funds."

All Russia has to do is make sure they have the dough:

"Everybody who trained in Lake Arrowhead had to pay all they way. You pay for the membership. If you need extra practices, you pay for that. You pay for passing the tests that you must pass to get to compete. You pay for perfecting the compulsory program and the exhibition piece. You pay for everything."

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Also, don't forget that prices in Russia (outside the two capitals) are much lower, too. In theory, all you need is, say, 10 paying kids/ adults to sponsor each potentially elite athlete. The main thing she is advocating is treating the whole thing like a business. Accountability for every ruble spent. I am not sure how it is in Russia now, but when I was growing up it was actually hard to find a sports club for a kid who was not athletically ambitious. I am very well built for sport such as figure skating or gymnastics, but I have absolutely no competitive spirit. I was usually kicked out of each sports club I went to at the end of the year, because the teachers knew I would never win any medals (finally at age 10, I found a dance club that was willing to have me despite the lack of ambition). What Rodnina is talking about is changing this whole attitude among other things.

I have watched the young men compete at Russian Nats on IceNetwork. They are all talented. They need nurishment. There is no more Soviet system. It has to be Russian System and it will cost money. Many Soviet coaches have move to France, Israel, United States, Canada where they can earn good fees for coaching. Had they stayed in Russia for less money, there would be no problem. The problem is in Russia today. Rodnina has her method; TT had hers. It will take time.

In the meantime, those skaters who can afford to travel overseas can still have Russian coaches.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Rodnina has her method; TT had hers.
TT is working with already established athletes; Rodnina is talking about developing the sport among children. What she is talking about is how to develop athletic kids by using people's resources - in other words, by doing it in a manner appropriate for the 21st century.

A little bit OT, but I just wanted to make note of one thing:
Three-time Olympic champion, ten-time World champion, and an eleven-time European champion in pair skating.
That is just a jaw-dropping record. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Ptichka - I understand that TT and Rodnina are working in Russia and trying to make a go of it, and I applaud them for doing so.

I was just suggesting that if there is a talented girl or boy who would feel better with a proven Russian skater cum coach, then the talented kid could think about coming to Detroil, Connecticul, N Jersey, Delaware. if they can afford it.

But surely there are still first rate coaches in Russia today who need and wan pupils.

To get back to the glory of the Soviet System is not so practical now.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for the translation, Ptichka :rock:

While she understands why a coach in Russia would spend time with the kids with the money, and she thinks that US coaches and clubs insist on adequate compensation, then it would seem that the only skaters in the US who can get ahead are the ones with money, not the most talented, hungry (in Mishin's terms), and ambitious of all the potential athletes. Those are the kids that the Soviet system was so great at identifying and supporting.

Why would kids who train in the US get better health insurance? Do clubs provide this for their athletes? Otherwise, it would seem that the kids with money have parents who've won job lotto and have good health insurance, as wealthy people tend to do.

Are there that many athletic grants to figure skaters in the US? I remember seeing an award presentation for skating athlete/scholars in Portland, but there couldn't have been more than a dozen, all elite athletes, and no amounts that could put a dent into what their parents and sponsors put out to get them to that level.

I think some of her conclusions were odd.

Fredegunda

Rinkside
Why would kids who train in the US get better health insurance? Do clubs provide this for their athletes? Otherwise, it would seem that the kids with money have parents who've won job lotto and have good health insurance, as wealthy people tend to do.

Don't some health care providers do massive health checkups before they quote you an insurance rate? If they determine that you are more at risk for whatever disease, they can charge more. Some older folks pay more than a thousand dollars a month because they're deemed more likely to need care. So I assume that if you are physically fit, health insurance may cost less as the providers see you as being healthy and less likely to get sick etc. :scratch:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Last time I checked the US was in a health care crisis because of so many people being uninsured. Also because of the rising cost of health care. In fact, MSNBC has an article today about how many people file for bankruptcy for medical costs and they have health insurance.

I have a very good job and a great health plan but still not everything is free.

So............I am not quite sure what Irina is talking about???
:unsure:

I think Ms. Rodnina is also mistaken about retired people whose skating fees are paid for by their pensions. What she means is, people (if they are lucky) have retirement income from social security, private pensions, IRAs, etc. If they wish to spend some of this on skating lessons, that's their choice.

I think the answer to Fredegunda's question is, for the most part, "no." I think most people in the U.S., when they sign up for insurance, have a perfunctory check-up at best (not even that for most group plans). They do charge higher premiums for older people. You can get a few dollars discount if you check the box that says you don't smoke (it doesn't matter if you actually smoke or not, just make sure you check the box).

Some companies have tried to work with their insurance providers to get lower rates if they improve workplace safety. But as far as giving a better deal on health insurance to people who enroll in physical fitness programs, this is a hard sell. Insurance providers, as well as group health care networks like HMOs, seem to do everything they can to skimp on preventive programs, irrationally (IMHO) preferring to pay out gigantic sums for catastrophic illness after it is too late.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Those hip replacements and treatment for repetitive movement injuries, not to mention the pounding on the knees, shoulders, tendons, and ligaments, not to mention broken bones and chronic aches, get to be quite expensive, regardless of how young the skating population is.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think Ms. Rodnina is also mistaken about retired people whose skating fees are paid for by their pensions. What she means is, people (if they are lucky) have retirement income from social security, private pensions, IRAs, etc. If they wish to spend some of this on skating lessons, that's their choice.
I am not sure. There are many programs encouraging physical activity for the elderly. For example, a housing where my grandparents live have yoga classes that they don't have to pay for, it comes out of the housing's budget. Likewise, in Massachusetts the elderly can take classes in community colleges for free (and in some situations even end up being paid for doing so). Since Rodnina is talking about classes for the older folks, not individual lessons, it could be covered by such a program - not exactly by their pensions, but not out of their person accounts either.
Are there that many athletic grants to figure skaters in the US? I remember seeing an award presentation for skating athlete/scholars in Portland, but there couldn't have been more than a dozen, all elite athletes, and no amounts that could put a dent into what their parents and sponsors put out to get them to that level.
I am not so sure. Even since there have been inter-collegiate figure skating team competitions, colleges have tried attracting skaters. Since athletic scholarships are very unpopular, however, it's not exactly advertised; school councilors just know where to direct the kids

While she understands why a coach in Russia would spend time with the kids with the money, and she thinks that US coaches and clubs insist on adequate compensation, then it would seem that the only skaters in the US who can get ahead are the ones with money, not the most talented, hungry (in Mishin's terms), and ambitious of all the potential athletes. Those are the kids that the Soviet system was so great at identifying and supporting.
I think her logic is as follows. If sports centers are run like a business, and bring in the profit, then they will attract competent coaches. From that point on, the government can step in, spending the kind of money usually spent on any other after-school program, and the combined effort can propel the talented kids. Don't forget that the prices in Russia (outside the two capitals, and the talk here is primarily of the "regions", not the capitals) are much lower. You really can run a profitable (or at least a non-loosing) center over there.

Last edited: