James/Radford announce partnership | Page 25 | Golden Skate

James/Radford announce partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Presumably Vanessa acquired French citizenship to compete with Morgan at the Olympics.
You didn't read my earlier bio for Vanessa! ;) As @skylark reiterates below, Vanessa's first French partner was not Cipres.

Apparently you missed Vanessa & Yannick at 2010 Olympics. They also competed at 2009 Worlds in L.A. and were well-received, which was kinda fitting since it was in the U.S. where Vanessa's skating journey began. Here is their 2010 Worlds performance, tho' I was trying to locate the 2009 wonderful performance in L.A.

2010 sp Europeans

2009 Europeans sp

According to my friend Wiki, Vanessa must have gotten French citizenship by 2010, when she competed in the Olympics with her first French partner, Yannick Bonheur. Where they made history as the first black pair.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The fed didn't suggest anything, everyone has been clear that was the skaters' initiative. Their role was limited to assisting them once asked
Uh yeah sure. Skate Canada is backing J/R 100% or it wouldn't be happening. Plus, as we know, SC pairs is rebuilding. Fed officials are obviously interested in boosting Canadian pairs' presence, profile, buzz, and competitive results with this new team made up of established veterans. Even for a short tenure, if things pan out, this partnership can bring dividends coupled with KMT/MM's gritty competitiveness. In the long run, this move could benefit other up-and-coming Canadian pairs, including Walsh/Michaud, though they may not see it that way at the moment.

Eric approached Vanessa, probably after passing it by SC officials and I wonder when and how Julie's input began. Plus, Eric was serving on a Skate Canada board at some point too, in addition to his various other activities post 2018 Olympics. As Eric & Vanessa described, it was an organic coming together after they randomly practiced cross-overs together during BOTB downtime. The idea grew from there, not just in Eric's head alone. People who saw the clip of Eric & Vanessa doing crossovers, began asking Eric questions. Beyond that, as J/R explained in their announcement interview, the idea for pairing didn't originate with Vanessa, as some fans immediately speculated.

The IOC waiver is a formality, as long as the former country (France, in this case) doesn't object. They're routinely given.
Sure, but as reported, it can typically take much longer for this waiver process to be approved. As I said earlier, France's quick release, SC's backing, and Vanessa's Canadian citizenship were all crucial factors in the relative speed of the entire process.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Canadian skaters haven't been exactly tearing up the world lately so it doesn't surprise me that the federation would be backing Eric and Vanessa. I think it's going to be very interesting. AND - Meagan has landed on her skates...so-to-speak.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Colonel Green said:
She has three:

- Canadian (birth, jus soli)
- British (birth, jus sanguinis)
- French (by naturalization)

Yep, as per earlier bio. ;)

Once again, Vanessa grew up in Bermuda and in the U.S. (near Washington D.C.) -- To further her singles career (after competing in the lower levels in the U.S.), Vanessa made the move to represent Great Britain (an opportunity made possible via her Dad's Bermudan roots).

Reaching another crossroads after a few years, Vanessa turned to pairs, and France beckoned. Her pairs destiny was realized, but also incomplete due to the abrupt retirement ending last September. Vanessa & Cipres had contemplated extending the success of their three-season rise to prominence through 2022 Worlds in France. Perhaps they would have conjured up the spirit and magic of the greatest French pairs team ever, the Brunets (Andree Joly & Pierre). But that prospect was not to be.

I find it rather fascinating how Vanessa's career arc has essentially come full circle with this new, unexpected pair journey, representing her country of birth with fellow compatriot, Eric Radford.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A FF has been created for the new pair!

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Since this announcement has been discussed in detail and it's no longer news, this thread is closed. Feel free to continue the discussion about Vanessa and Eric's new partnership in the newly created Vanessa James & Eric Radford post referenced in the previous post!

Status
Not open for further replies.