Johhny Weir also no longer being coached by TT? | Golden Skate

Johhny Weir also no longer being coached by TT?

Sk8harvest

Rinkside
In one of the threads about the Sasha C/TT split, someone quoted an excerpt from an interview with Galina Volchek, evidently a friend of TT's, who in turn quoted TT as follows: "It seems that's it's not very fashionable to train under me now." This made me curious about who else might have split with TT - so I checked Johnny Weir's, so I checked his website. It appears he has:

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/journalmain.php?p=03december.php

His entry is dated December 8th so this might be old news for most of you.

windspirit

On the Ice
I think I knew that Weir had gone back to Delaware, but I didn't think much of it, since I thought his stay in Connecticut was going to be a temporary one, anyway.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I've always said that it's too bad this guy is a clockwise skater, otherwise he and Sasha Cohen would made a killer pairs team.

mzheng

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
I've always said that it's too bad this guy is a clockwise skater, otherwise he and Sasha Cohen would made a killer pairs team.

idleracer, you made an interesting point. I would think if Sasha is such a head case need the constant attention and confidance boost. May be she should try to skate as pair? Find a more mature and caring partner?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
sasha as a pair?

No offense, but i think not only is sasha a headcase, but she's self-centred. I don't think she'd be able to skate pairs or dance. I get the drift that JW is the same way...

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: sasha as a pair?

Not at all. And I agree with you that

thisthingcalledlove said:
I get the drift that JW is the same way...

when I first saw he skated and withdrawed from Nats last year.

IDLERACER

Medalist
The reason I mentioned it, is because the two are obviously good friends off the ice, as she frequently mentions him in her journal (click on the image). But of course, it's a moot point because he's a "Lefty," and I don't think the two of them would be able to adjust to working around that, the way Galindo & Yamaguchi did.

[url]http://www.sashacohen.com/photos/office7.gif[/URL]

I think Johnny's arrangement with TT was just a 2 or 3 week summer course - nothing more. I thought it was nice for TT to fit him into her schedule. His going back to Delaware was expected.

He did pal around with Sasha while he was there. The idea of them doing Pairs is not a bad idea but he would have to beef up his body for those lifts.

Can you see it? Next team to take the ice: Cohen and Weir.

Joe

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Sasha and Johnny

As a pairs team, the two of them would spend too much time designing coordinating outfits to work on the skating! :laugh:

Sasha and Johnny

And as Idle astutely points out they are opposite clock skaters!

However, the separate spins are interesting when the free legs match on the completion of a rotation. Very effective.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Johhny Weir also no longer being coached by TT

I think Sasha would be too "head strong" to be a pairs partner for anyone - especially Johnny Weir. He does not strike me as "a take charge kind of guy" which is what a male pairs skater has to do. I think Sasha is a better skater than him as well - no it would not work.

Of course anybody's entitled to call Sasha a "headcase," but I'm just wondering what the evidence is? She seems like your average teenage elite athlete to me who has had some problems with consistency, which IMO have been quite overblown compared to other skaters with consistency problems. I just wonder what makes people decide a skater is a "headcase"?
Rgirl

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Of course anybody's entitled to call Sasha a "headcase," but I'm just wondering what the evidence is? She seems like your average teenage elite athlete to me who has had some problems with consistency, which IMO have been quite overblown compared to other skaters with consistency problems. I just wonder what makes people decide a skater is a "headcase"?
Rgirl

I got her 'headcase' drift based on
1) TT said before Winter cheesfest or GPF that Sasha is not ready, and she try to convince Sasha not to compete in Winter Cheesfest. Why? Sasha was not in good physical condition acording to TT? but behind that I suspect TT was afraid Sasha lost to her majore competetors in that competetion. She would like keep Sasha high (win all comps in sight) to boost her confidance going into the Nats. TT had made a lot absurd excuse for Yag not to compete directly with Plush if she feels Yag is not ready.
2) After the GPF, TT said because Sasha didn't listen to her that she has to train Sasha from scratch going into Nats and Worlds. Prepare for what? Mental toughness after the two conssective loss. Since at this time of season, choreography is done, physical training is done.
3) Why TT recomend Robin, because among the top coaches only Robin currently don't have any top level skaters and only she will give Sasha ALL attentions that Sasha needed. Given TT worked with Sasha for 18 monthes and her enomous experience work with many different top skaters she knew what that Sasha needed. In US, at age 19 and being the oldest kid in family need absolute attention from parent or coach, not a headcase?

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Rgirl said:
Rgirl

I think I decided last year when A. at Nationals last year, before she took the ice for her long program, she looked so tight and tense and then B. at Worlds, when she stumbled on a crossover in the QR, and then fell on a spin in the LP, though she wasn't the only one (Brian and Shizuka come to mind). I just think it's interesting that she wins GP events, but falls apart at the "big" events. And now at the not so big events...

nationals should be great!

Laura :)

skatepixie

On the Ice
I dont think the move to Robin is about "I need a coach to myself". If Sasha needed that, it never would have worked with Nicks and TT. I think its that she knows Robin and Robin was close enough to make a change so close to Nationals.

TT needed to "train from scratch" becuase Sasha had lost training time due to illness. I dont think she meant redoing everything, she just meant that Sasha had missed time and needed to train, thats all.

As for Cohen/Weir, I dont think their artistic styles are quite right. Nor should Sasha waste her time on pairs. She has gone so far in singles and pairs would be spending a lot of time on something that most likely would just tak time away from singles. She would have been a good pairs skater though. Imagine how high you could throw her. :)