Jumping performance - Ladies at 2012/2013 Season | Golden Skate

Jumping performance - Ladies at 2012/2013 Season

Country
Russia
Jumps are not all the figure skating, but significant part of it.

I calculated best of season jumping score of FS (FS with 7 jumping elements is most difficult and, as for me, gives more adequate results) for some female jumpers.
Only competitins which give Season Best, results of other ISU does not treat as reliable.
If anybody wants other criteria - they may calculate.

Yuna Kim - 53.15 (Worlds)
Tuktamysheva - 51.60 (Euro)
Zijun Li - 50.67 (Worlds)
Radionova - 50.10 (JGP Austria)
Pogorilaya - 47.16 (JGP Germany)
Gold - 46.51 (WTT)
Wagner - 46.30 (GP France)
Asada - 45.66 (Worlds)
Angela Wang - 45.23 (JGP Final)
Suzuki - 44.82 (GP Japan)
Miyahara - 43.89 (JGP Final)
Lipnitskaia - 42,86 (JrWorlds)
Sotnikova - 41.13 (Euro)
Murakami - 41.08 (Worlds)
Hannah Miller - 40.94 (JGP Final)
Kostner - 39.61 (Worlds)

My comments:
Yuna Kim is the best - it is visible for all who've seen her skating at Worlds.
Tuktamysheva and Zijun Li are ahead Radionova, Pogorilaya is ahead Gold, Gold and Wagner are ahead Asada - I did not wait it.
Very close results of Gold and Wagner - Wagner jumps with good GOE and has 6 or 7 triples in FS.
Sotnikova - unbelievably low results for girl who was one of best jumpers of the world.
Not so good jumping score for Kostner - predictable.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
First of all, thank you for calculating this!
Yuna Kim is the best - it is visible for all who've seen her skating at Worlds.
Yes, she's the best IF she skates clean and perfect (and we've seen many times that she's perfectly capable of doing it!), but (as you can see in the BV thread I just started) her strength is quality=high GOEs, when she makes mistakes her score may go down a lot because of her "low" BV...
Sotnikova - unbelievably low results for girl who was one of best jumpers of the world.
Well, she's now one of the best spinners in the world and she has high PCS for being only a 16-years-old skater, so those are her strengths at the moment, inconsistency is her enemy, her score could have easily been in 5th place (ahead of Gold and Pogorilaya) she hadn't popped that flip at Euros...

Country
Russia
Well, she's now one of the best spinners in the world and she has high PCS for being only a 16-years-old skater, so those are her strengths at the moment, inconsistency is her enemy, her score could have easily been in 5th place (ahead of Gold and Pogorilaya) she hadn't popped that flip at Euros...
Easily?
Sotnikova's second result is 37.42 (WTT), Euro was non-typically good for her.

Hope she will improve her jumps this season.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's just so unfortunate for tuktamisheva that there is a short program! the problem with sotnikova is that aside from being inconsistent on the flip she has built in flutzing and underrotating triple toes into her programs and attaching three jump combos to triple flips that she usually has to leave out.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For me what is striking is Asada's score. What she attempts is so much more difficult than the others, but her execution of that difficulty should be much better. For her to be doing 3A's and finish behind Ashley's best means she needs to focus more on executing all her triples, not just the axel.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Asada did worse when she focused on all triples and didn't do the axel. So she needs the 3a.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Asada did worse when she focused on all triples and didn't do the axel. So she needs the 3a.

I actually agree with this. Given that we saw almost a full season without a 3a, I thought that even though it was safe and it got her the titles- it was too easy. Too easy that she has gotten inconsistent and at times sloppy. Ofc this maybe due to the tragic loss of her mother among other factors, but as many people have commented, 3A is a psychological thing for her. When she nails it (or these days, comes close to doing so), the rest of her jumps fall in line.

Love her to death, and her ambitious nature just adds to it. However, has any body else noticed that some of her 3As in the last season actually looked overrotated (hence the two foots)? The Brits have pointed that out a couple of times. Correct me if I am wrong.

miki88

Medalist
I believe Mao did not attempt the same layout for the entire season, so she did not always plan the most difficult layout out of everyone. She was also not clean in her free skate all season. She had a better record in her short program, where she succeeded in landing a 3A at 4CC and earned the highest SP score of the season.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Love her to death, and her ambitious nature just adds to it. However, has any body else noticed that some of her 3As in the last season actually looked overrotated (hence the two foots)? The Brits have pointed that out a couple of times. Correct me if I am wrong.
No, they weren't over-rotated. The issue is the "swing" she's using on the takeoff to create the additional rotation (she's not really jumping them "through" properly) is causing the two foot because she's not actually jumping up and over to her right side...

Thanks to everyone who analyzed Mao's jumps. I also love her to death, and this year I fear that my heart will be in my mouth every time she skates. I do so want her to do well at Sochi—to do the very best she's capable of. Can we fans (and the skaters) be lucky enough to have a second consecutive Olympics where the final flight of ladies has no falls and few mistakes?