Kensuke Nakaniwa (MF Academy head coach) - Interview | Golden Skate

Kensuke Nakaniwa (MF Academy head coach) - Interview

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Found this new interview in Absolute Skating website: Kensuke Nakaniwa: "My approach involves accepting skaters for who they are"

Kensuke Nakaniwa is mostly known as the coach of Rinka Watanabe, Yuna Aoki, Ami Nakai and Rio Nakata under MF Academy. The academy was founded in 2021, it's very amazing what they've achieved in less than 3 years!

He seems to be a well-rounded and down to earth coach, "Understanding their personalities takes precedence over teaching technical skills. " :clap:

And I'm glad to read that he said Ami Nakai's complete recovery is the top priority for her!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Found this new interview in Absolute Skating website: Kensuke Nakaniwa: "My approach involves accepting skaters for who they are"

Kensuke Nakaniwa is mostly known as the coach of Rinka Watanabe, Yuna Aoki, Ami Nakai and Rio Nakata under MF Academy. The academy was founded in 2021, it's very amazing what they've achieved in less than 3 years!

He seems to be a well-rounded and down to earth coach, "Understanding their personalities takes precedence over teaching technical skills. " :clap:
Coincidentally, this video just became available yesterday and shows what a fine job he did representing Japan in 2003. I enjoyed the strong attack he had in his skating. Tough field he was in. Hopefully soon, his freeskate will be posted from 2003 Cup of Russia.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for bringing this interview to our attention @lileychristie I admit I knew next to nothing to about Coach Nakaniwa, but now reading the quote you highlighted and the rest of the article:

Each athlete has a unique type or characteristic, and it's crucial to get to know them. Since they already have a sense of self, changing that becomes challenging. Thus, I allow them a certain degree of freedom. For any inquiries or requests they might have, I provide wholehearted support. The key is to adapt coaching to the individuals rather than imposing my methods on them.

I am very impressed!