Knee Sliding Rules 2023/24 for Singles Skaters | Golden Skate

Knee Sliding Rules 2023/24 for Singles Skaters

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I've noticed a significant uptick in singles skaters doing knee slides. I know it is only a requirement in ice dance, but is knee sliding the new "perception rule"? What I mean by that is: it's not technically a rule, but by omitting a certain element from your program (in this case, a knee slide) the perception u give the judges is not a good one. *Example: by omitting a beilmann, you give the perception that you are not flexible and won't receive as much GOE as another girl with a beillman. By omitting a second lutz, you give the perception that you cannot do a lutz on the correct edge. Technically these aren't rules. But the judges still want you to do it.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
No, I think knee slides are just in style right now so a lot of skaters do them. It's no the type of thing a judge would expect someone to do.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
For me, they work for singles skaters as long as they are brief and showcase good speed and easy movement. And if they fit with the style of the program. If skaters struggle to get into the slide and then do it slowly/clumsily, no thank you. A very recent example I really liked is the short one in Andrew Torgashev's SP at SA.

I don't think there are any rules right now for singles skaters and knee slides. It's a way to break up the monotony of a StSeq and CAN add choreographic flair to the program, when done well. Those last three words are the key. ;) Not all knee slides are created equal. :slink: