Maia & Alex Shibutani named Sports Envoys | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Maia & Alex Shibutani named Sports Envoys

Barb

Record Breaker
They looked like they weren't too sure if they liked it. :laugh:

They looked like loved the chicken. Question for anyone, that was really chicken? at México, in the chinese food the ¨chicken ¨ looks like the chicken in the video, we all call it ¨chicken¨but we all know it is rat. I don´t know if in Korea people eat rat too. I love chinese food, rats or not, hahaha, just curiosity.

by the way, new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-rCHI54hkw

Last edited:

jf12

Final Flight
They looked like loved the chicken. Question for anyone, that was really chicken? at México, in the chinese food the ¨chicken ¨ looks like the chicken in the video, we all call it ¨chicken¨but we all know it is rat. I don´t know if in Korea people eat rat too. I love chinese food, rats or not, hahaha, just curiosity.

by the way, new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-rCHI54hkw

Though some cultures eat rat meat, I don't think it's at all common to have rat meat passed off as chicken. This misconception has its roots in a stereotype of unfamiliar or 'foreign' food. Let's be real, in general it is a lot cheaper to buy factory raised chicken meat, than go to the trouble of catching rats, and skinning them, for the small amount of meat they have!!

Barb

Record Breaker
Though some cultures eat rat meat, I don't think it's at all common to have rat meat passed off as chicken. This misconception has its roots in a stereotype of unfamiliar or 'foreign' food. Let's be real, in general it is a lot cheaper to buy factory raised chicken meat, than go to the trouble of catching rats, and skinning them, for the small amount of meat they have!!

I thought exactly the same, in fact I used that argument with my mom because she think that to eat rat is nasty, but really it does not look and does not taste like chicken at all. Maybe it is not rat but some other animal. Anyway, I am not expert. I am 95% sure that it is not chicken. But it is delicious, more than chicken.

When I visited New York I was walking through Chinatown and I saw several Chinese restaurants displaying the rats in their show-windows, they very proudly showed that they prepared real rats, now I regret not having entered to the restaurant to try it :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I thought exactly the same, in fact I used that argument with my mom because she think that to eat rat is nasty, but really it does not look and does not taste like chicken at all. Maybe it is not rat but some other animal. Anyway, I am not expert. I am 95% sure that it is not chicken. But it is delicious, more than chicken.

When I visited New York I was walking through Chinatown and I saw several Chinese restaurants displaying the rats in their show-windows, they very proudly showed that they prepared real rats, now I regret not having entered to the restaurant to try it :eek:hwell:

Are you sure? I go to Chinatown often in New York and have never seen rats in show-windows. In fact, I doubt they'd be allowed to sell rats. I could be wrong, but I really doubt a restaurant in New York City would openly display rats for sale for consumption.

Barb

Record Breaker
Are you sure? I go to Chinatown often in New York and have never seen rats in show-windows. In fact, I doubt they'd be allowed to sell rats. I could be wrong, but I really doubt a restaurant in New York City would openly display rats for sale for consumption.

What??? I thought it was a popular thing. In fact I thought it was funny because I saw rats at the NY metro, so, for a moment, I thought they could to get the rats easily. I don´t remember read at the restaurant that it were rats, but I did not consider it necessary, for me, it were obvious fat rats, completes, with their heads and tails. Maybe it were opossum? It looked like this https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=...hXH7IMKHRwRBiwQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=30qGdBYYTugAzM:. It did not look like a pig, let alone a chicken. If this was not rat, it was a identical animal.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
What??? I thought it was a popular thing. In fact I thought it was funny because I saw rats at the NY metro, so, for a moment, I thought they could to get the rats easily. I don´t remember read at the restaurant that it were rats, but I did not consider it necessary, for me, it were obvious fat rats, completes, with their heads and tails. Maybe it were opossum? It looked like this https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=...hXH7IMKHRwRBiwQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=30qGdBYYTugAzM:. It did not look like a pig, let alone a chicken. If this was not rat, it was a identical animal.

I live in the New York area and go to Chinatown about once a month on average and I have NEVER seen that. I did a quick google search for incidents of Chinatown restaurants selling rat or other kinds of vermin meat, and I don't find anything about it. I doubt the health inspection set up in New York would allow any restaurant to sell that sort of meat, much less display it on a window. It's not something a restaurant could just bribe away either.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I also really doubt that Seoul would sell "rat" when they are advertising it as chicken at a famous market like that.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think it's duck you're seeing - duck hanging in the windows is really common.

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/83c40ea9b...ast-ducks-chinatown-soho-london-uk-fbn2wh.jpg

Was that it? Could be the 'chicken' you're getting that tastes different could be super dark meat chicken instead of the white meat they serve at non Chinese restaurants.

yes, it is the most probable, thank you!!!

And the other thing too, I did not know there was another type of chicken meat.

I can't wait to tell it to my mom, she just did not want it because she thought this was rat meat. I did not have problem if would be rats :laugh2:

Eta. I just showed the evidence to my mom and she still has doubts, she won´t eat it, just in case :rolleye: :laugh:

Last edited: