Mirai Nagasu takes intern position at local TV station | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu takes intern position at local TV station

https://theundefeated.com/features/from-winter-olympics-to-summer-intern-mirai-nagasus-next-chapter/

Interviewer: You made Olympic history, you were on Dancing with the Stars, Stars on Ice. To make the decision to be an intern at a local TV station, how did that come to be?

Mirai: I asked the station if they had any spots available, took a meeting and signed up for the position. I feel lucky being able to secure the internship because I’m not getting my degree in communication or journalism. I’m actually getting my degree in business.

I’ve always felt I’m a little too Asian for the U.S., but when I go to Japan, I stand out like a sore thumb. You can tell from the way I walk, the way I talk, the way I dress, that I’m American. It is a little bit difficult to feel like I don’t fit in anywhere, but at the same time, I’m so proud of being Japanese American. I love being American because for me, representing America means representing all of the cultures of the U.S. I see the U.S. as everyone is an immigrant.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very happy for Mirai. I was really impressed with how she handled her responsibilities as one of the MCs at the Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast during Detroit Nats. She seemed to have a natural talent for it, and she gave a lot of very interesting insight into what Nationals is like for the skaters. I wish her the best of luck!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai has been posting about her internship at her local ABC affiliate on her IG for the past few months. She seems to be enjoying it, so maybe a career in broadcasting or journalism is in her future.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yay for Mirai! I wish her well. It is exciting that she has new things on the horizon. Not every skater is a Michelle Kwan or Kristi Yamaguchi. Not sure how much her accomplishments as a skater will help her but it is awesome that she is willing to work for opportunities. Maybe in a year or two she will replace Johnny and or Tara?

MiraiFan

Final Flight
She was the guest coach at a camp that several of my clubmates did a few weeks back and was absolutely lovely--a really nice person and the girls were so excited to work with her--she was inspiring and really took the time to talk to them and motivate them.