Missing girl | Golden Skate

Missing girl

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have never been a parent ...on purpose.....but being a teenager in the 1960s, I dont understand this story.....
A 16 year old girl with a newish car (!) goes missing at a party at a campground of 200-300 teenagers. So far I have not heard the media say this was supervised by 20 adults and all they served was soda.....all I heard was her friend saying she drank the same stuff her friend did and didnt think there was any date rape drugs involved.

I do know that if you have a Billings MT address, you cant rent a room at the Super 8 as the locals rent rooms, have parties, and trash the place. :(

So is this the new norm? 200-300 sets or single parents let their kids go to what we used to call a "Woodsie"????? Is this how parenting is now done?

Woodstock was 1969 but the average age was 22. I will spare you my feelings about the feral govt and Vietnam...but I understand the hate and mistrust of the US government since then.

This incident happening now is different....Unless the news confirms differnently, this was a bunch of under aged kids drinking and maybe using drugs and no parents?
View attachment 5572View attachment 5572

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so sorry for the girl involved.

Do we know that the parents are "letting" their children attend?

Where I grew up, unsupervised parties where teens got drunk were common. I was a little nerd, and I knew about them. :) From what my parents told me, those parties were common in the 40s when they were teens.

I think more kids show up now because word of mouth is the internet, rather than "Ask Johnny where the party is". Which can make the results far more tragic, because it is easier to let more people know.

As the Ecclesiastes author said over 2000 years ago, there is nothing new under the sun.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm so sorry for the girl involved.

Do we know that the parents are "letting" their children attend?

Where I grew up, unsupervised parties where teens got drunk were common. I was a little nerd, and I knew about them. :) From what my parents told me, those parties were common in the 40s when they were teens.

I think more kids show up now because word of mouth is the internet, rather than "Ask Johnny where the party is". Which can make the results far more tragic, because it is easier to let more people know.

As the Ecclesiastes author said over 2000 years ago, there is nothing new under the sun.
(Internet up and down here) I must have had a very odd, sheltered childhood, I think. First, I always did what I was told and was the perfect child. The only thing I ever did bad was doing a "senior ditch day" in high school. A crime I got detention for. I think I knew a small group of kids would get together and party here and there but few kids had cars...there were certainly no 200-300 groups of kids drinking or doing drugs....I didnt go out at night without telling my parents where I was going. My sister certainly would not have down that, either....I literally lived in the same kind of town as "Leave it to Beaver". I didnt associate with the greasers and /or the kids who later got PHDs. The nerds had their own click and some did weed, I think. All five next door boys got PHDs. Their parents had PHDs. I saw the dad one day beat the crap out of the oldest boy for talking back.

There was a youth center monitored by adults where kids could meet up after school, etc and party and dance. I went to one football game in highschool and one in college.....

If I had a car and went to that party without telling my parents, its wouldnt have been pretty. I am sure there have always been small covert parties post WWII.

I was told I wouldnt be allowed into a college if I fought or drank. I believed them. Putting pennies in my loafers was about as risky as I got. One day, a teacher stopped me in the hallway and asked, "Your hair is a bit long...you arent trying to be like those Beattles, are you?" My hair wasnt long....

I was even boring in college.....

My main childhood memory was of all of us kids in the third grade being given a 20 minute nap time in school...the teacher would put on a record on the phonograph of Bing Crosby singing....
"Would you like to swing on a star
Carry moon beams home in a jar
And be better off than you are....
Or would you rather be a pig....
I guess that is how I was one of the 25 percent that passed the 3 week long State Patrol Backround check and got a high paying job.
Chris who didnt go to woodstock

I hope they find this girl....
They eventually found E. Smart.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is nothing new. My parents attempted to watch over me. But kids will be kids. Someone would bring a bottle of liquor out to the barn, or my parents required adult supervision at parties but sometimes that would be an 18 year old kid who really didn’t care. I remember one party where we all went in on weed, and there was liquor and some pills (which I didn’t take but others did). There was trouble over that one because glasses were in the dishwasher smelling of booze.

College, forget it, I’m shocked I have a liver.

I graduated high school in 1985.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is nothing new. My parents attempted to watch over me. But kids will be kids. Someone would bring a bottle of liquor out to the barn, or my parents required adult supervision at parties but sometimes that would be an 18 year old kid who really didn’t care. I remember one party where we all went in on weed, and there was liquor and some pills (which I didn’t take but others did). There was trouble over that one because glasses were in the dishwasher smelling of booze.

College, forget it, I’m shocked I have a liver.

I graduated high school in 1985.
I graduated in '67. I am old enough to be your father! :) My dad would have a beer once in awhile and he would always give me a shot glass full of beer when I was a kid. I never drank till college and then it was a beer with a burger in my apt. I didnt do bars. I did drink the night before a major earthquake in Illinois when I dropped out of engineering. Only time I ever remember being seriously drunk. Now I have a drink a day. Never did drugs. Boring me.

Speaking of drinking, the girl who disappeared had a friend who says she was with her the whole time she was at the party and the friend said she herself was way too drunk to drive so she asked the missing girl for a ride home. She also said she was drinking the same stuff the missing girl was so she didnt think date rape drugs were an issue. Let me know if I missed this but no one I saw is giving out the missing car's license plate, which is too bad cause 2013 third generation CRVs that are silver are very common and the 3rd generation was made for years...and yes, we police do use license plate readers. The car must have left the party circa 11:30- 1 am.....Finding the car is the key.

Truckee teen’s mother pleads for peers at campground party to come forward​

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
An odd update. The car and body was found by an independent group 55 ft from shore and 14 ft down. Right were the cell phone stopped pinging. The sherriff dept can not explain how their side scan sonar failed to pick up. I have camped in that country and usually the water is clear in most lakes.....lots still to explain...
I hope everyone here is trained on how to exit a sinking vehicle. If you are sober and keep your whits about you, its not hard, and you might be surprised how often the electrical system lets you still work the windows and sun roof....when I was with the patrol, the trainer told us about four young ladies who were found in their car with their cell phones who werent trained.... :(
In this land of 76 lakes, people drive into them all the time.....at least there is some sort of peace for the parents.

Amei

Record Breaker
An odd update. The car and body was found by an independent group 55 ft from shore and 14 ft down. Right were the cell phone stopped pinging. The sherriff dept can not explain how their side scan sonar failed to pick up. I have camped in that country and usually the water is clear in most lakes.....lots still to explain...
I hope everyone here is trained on how to exit a sinking vehicle. If you are sober and keep your whits about you, its not hard, and you might be surprised how often the electrical system lets you still work the windows and sun roof....when I was with the patrol, the trainer told us about four young ladies who were found in their car with their cell phones who werent trained.... :(
In this land of 76 lakes, people drive into them all the time.....at least there is some sort of peace for the parents.

Unfortunately panic would probably set in for most people. Regarding the police not finding the car in the initial search from what I've read that lake had a decent drop in between the 2 searches. *I've also seen speculation that the police don't have the quality of equipment that the independent group has. The ensuing investigation is the reason they could not get other party goers to come forward, the family will now seek blame to be placed on whoever provided the booze and drugs that were there

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Unfortunately panic would probably set in for most people. Regarding the police not finding the car in the initial search from what I've read that lake had a decent drop in between the 2 searches. *I've also seen speculation that the police don't have the quality of equipment that the independent group has. The ensuing investigation is the reason they could not get other party goers to come forward, the family will now seek blame to be placed on whoever provided the booze and drugs that were there
I agree but it will be a very tough investigation. In Spokane, no one talks...two gun fights in two days....four hit the first park shooting in the wee hours and one killed in the second....no one talks....a police LT came on the telly and said, "Look, we often get calls about gunfire and we arrive on scene and there is spent cartridge cases and blood trails but no victums and no one comes forward...
In this case, same thing only its about drugs. Here, kids get fentynal over the web somehow on their smart phones on social media....the gangs can somehow do this and its untracable...no one talks....and suddenly there are 32 ODs..... :(
I hope the police do get a lead on a particular person or persons who feed all these kids alchohol but I am not optomistic....and here they dont even lock up felons caught with guns.....what are you gonna do to a 21 year old that bought booze or for that matter a 17 year old that stoled the booze from mom and brought it and put it in a punch and someone takes the punch.....

(It did look like the lake was low in the private investigation photos which would also explain why theym being the police... didnt see the tire tracks.....I havent heard any toxicology reports yet...been too busy trying to fire proof my land....
we have 76 lakes here and the police are pretty good at finding bodies in the lakes with the technology they have. Two planes collided two years ago over Lake Coure d"Alene and they found all 8, IIRC. Most were probably still strapped in their seats but we have a fair number of boat collisions over the years... there are cadavier sniffing dogs that work over water but the conditions have to be right....

Chris the boring kid

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ref: Panic. Yes, even sober people not on drugs who are not trained dont have a clue about water pressure force on a door or having a car window breaker....they just know the car is sinking and they think they are trapped. Heck, they never check their spare tire pressure and may not even know how many cylinders their car has....I am not sure many in our society have the presence of mind to do the right things to fight a kitchen fire....Maybe driver education and home economics have just gone away.......
That's one good thing about pilot training...they put you in all sorts of simulated emergencies and teach you how to stay calm and think...the State Patrol was very big on training....going into the mountains in winter and building a snow fort, avalanche training, bio hazard training, drivers ed at the acadamy......the most fun was taking your state patrol vehicle (most were suburbans for us techs, and hitting a flooded skid pad at 30 mph and trying to do a slalom cone course without spinning out.....Maybe I am just too old.... :(
300-400 people drown in their cars every year....here is one of the many videos on how to get out.....youtube is full of them.

View attachment 5642