Mr. Sulu wants to move Sochi Olympics to Vancouver | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mr. Sulu wants to move Sochi Olympics to Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Lol like a "waning nation " could spend 50 billion on something that's not even going Come close to generating that and which is like not even a years worth of the oil gas mineral wealth it generates each year so let's not go nuts with wrong statements on the monetary meaning/ importance of these games.

But it is different because unlike the Beijing games a lot of countries have decided to wage war onthe hosts politics and people like never before. US training all it's athletes to be politicians like symmonds

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
What will Russia do if everybody shows up waving a rainbow flag at the opening ceremony? Arrest everyone? :laugh:

yes but you will have need permission before you can enter the stadium ;)
the IOC made it clear the Olympics is not a place to show politics :yes:
even the USOC said to respect the rule of the country

unless of course someone purposely acts in defiance, hooliganism as it is in Russia

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You also speak of democracy... which is a system of government in which all citizens are treated equally (and this is closely tied to civil liberties and human rights). These Russian laws are anything but democratic. It's either democracy or it isn't... this isn't a matter of all are equal, but some are more equal than others.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You're making many assumptions about me which I don't appreciate.

Democracy is respecting the wishes of the people. I can only assume that while a great deal of Russians are anti-LGBT, only a percentage of these anti-LGBT people are actually for throwing people in jail for holding hands or for removing kids from families.

As for trivializing Western protests, where do you think a great deal, if not the majority, of spectators at the Olympics will be coming from?

And you continue to deflect this issue to other countries outside of Russia and other issues like trafficking and hunger, which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

because wasn't that always the policy of double standards stated by the western press ?
and I mean it if you tarvel outside of Europe will gain a whole alot of World and cultural perspective :thumbsup:

No one is going to jail unless I said mass public hooligans, and your mention or removing children :confused: is that they will not have legal custody of the child as gay adoption is not allowed in Russia

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You also speak of democracy... which is a system of government in which all citizens are treated equally (and this is closely tied to civil liberties and human rights). These Russian laws are anything but democratic. It's either democracy or it isn't... this isn't a matter of all are equal, but some are more equal than others.

tell me a country that has true democracy ?
the Word Democracy is a Facade, It does not exist !

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
tell me a country that has true democracy ? the Word Democracy is a Facade, It does not exist !

True democracy doesn't exist, because every country has citizens that are treated differently. But it's one thing to be undemocratic and not allowing LGBT people to marry, and a completely different thing to be undemocratic and jail or fine them for holding hands or acknowledging that they're happy with being gay.

Some countries don't confer the same legal rights to LGBT people that straight people get, but they still respect their basic human rights. Other countries - like Russia, with the institution of these laws - actually persecute people for being LGBT, which is a violation of their basic human rights. See the difference?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
because wasn't that always the policy of double standards stated by the western press ?
and I mean it if you tarvel outside of Europe will gain a whole alot of World and cultural perspective :thumbsup:

No one is going to jail unless I said mass public hooligans, and your mention or removing children :confused: is that they will not have legal custody of the child as gay adoption is not allowed in Russia

It's pretty clear that under these laws -- which are vague and open to a variety of interpretations -- can still be persecuted for holding hands, kissing their partner, or acknowledging that they're happy being an LGBT individual. You think people would be up in arms if this was about public hooliganism? If a child sees an LGBT couple holding hands, under these laws, the couple can be arrested and fined. For holding hands. :disapp: If a person waves a rainbow flag, they can be arrested - for waving a flag with a rainbow on it.

For the record, I have travelled extensively outside of Europe.. including the Middle East, Asia, and South America. Not that I need to have travelled to know that bigotry, discrimination, and violation of human rights is wrong no matter where in the world you are.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Golden Skate Forum staff has tried to accommodate all members regarding discussions of Russia's new anti-gay law and the Olympics. Unfortunately, the threads have declined quickly with bickering and insults being tossed back and forth.

GS will not be used as a platform for this disruptiveness, therefore, all related threads will be moved to the Politics forum. This is not a free pass to be discriminatory. Abuse it and you will be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.