Multiple coaches at the same time? | Golden Skate

Multiple coaches at the same time?

CarolPooh

Rinkside
I am not planning to change coach at the moment. However, there are things that I am struggling with for a long time without much improvement. I wonder if adding lessons from other coaches could provide more insights and helps my progress. On the other hand, I am worried that they may have incompatible approaches or techniques. Does anyone have experience of having multiple coaches (not as a team)?

P.S. I am an adult skater at low level and don't plan to compete. My goal is just to polish my jumps, spins and skating.

Last edited:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes. It's done all the time. There are coaches that specialize in spins, jumps, stroking, MITF, etc.

And yes, the differences in techniques may mess with your brain for a while. But when I was learning an axel, it sure helped to hear and try different techniques to get the jump (I started later in life). And I took away *something* from every technique throughout my skating years.
I could probably teach an axel 50 different ways!

You might want to ask your main coach who they would recommend to help you reach your goals.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is common. I don't know any elites who don't take from multiple coaches.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, it's fine. Just make sure your main coach is on board with it.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
When I was free skating, my main coach refused to coach me over the summer and made me work with another coach over the summer. She felt it was a chance to get another perspective, especially on things that weren't clicking. It usually helped.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
When I was free skating, my main coach refused to coach me over the summer and made me work with another coach over the summer. She felt it was a chance to get another perspective, especially on things that weren't clicking. It usually helped.
That is certainly interesting. Usually when getting another perspective, it's done with having multiple coaches at the same time. Some amount of consistency is needed to succeed. I'm unsure why you would do that in the summer when that is your most crucial time to get new jumps for the upcoming season.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
That is certainly interesting. Usually when getting another perspective, it's done with having multiple coaches at the same time. Some amount of consistency is needed to succeed. I'm unsure why you would do that in the summer when that is your most crucial time to get new jumps for the upcoming season.
I think it had more to do with the fact that my coach didn't want to work in the summer than anything else, but it did work for me. The summer coach I ended up with had a similar style and so it didn't feel like I was losing consistency.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think it had more to do with the fact that my coach didn't want to work in the summer than anything else, but it did work for me. The summer coach I ended up with had a similar style and so it didn't feel like I was losing consistency.
That's always good!

hughes

Rinkside
I can't tell from your post, but if you've only ever had one coach then you don't have much context for if this coach and you are a good fit. I am also an adult skater and after initial progress I struggled for a while with no improvement, same as you. I switched coaches and I am making so much more progress with the new coach. My new coach has a completely different approach that just resonates better and after 3+ years of skating I am finally gaining some power and speed. I know you said you don't want to switch coaches, but this is something to consider. Good luck!

CarolPooh

Rinkside
This is my 2nd coach. I switched coach because my 1st coach never pointed out my mistakes or suggested how to improve, instead he just showed me the jump/spin and asked me to imitate. When I switched coach, I had to start from fundamentals again. My new coach is much stricter, my skating basics have improved a lot so I am grateful. There may be other coaches who can fit me more, but I am a bit afraid of gambling it by switching right away, so I think having multiple coaches could be a way to try out more.

hughes

Rinkside
That makes sense! I'm familiar with the "imitate me" method. It works for some but not all of us!

CarolPooh

Rinkside
That makes sense! I'm familiar with the "imitate me" method. It works for some but not all of us!

I rely a lot on my coach's immediate feedback, as I usually don't realize what I am doing with my arms and legs until I watch the video.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's honestly such a useless way of coaching. I have never seen anyone land a double with an "imitate me" coach. Good coaches usually have at least one student with a double so it's definitely not a coincidence that almost no "imitate me" coaches have one.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It's honestly such a useless way of coaching. I have never seen anyone land a double with an "imitate me" coach. Good coaches usually have at least one student with a double so it's definitely not a coincidence that almost no "imitate me" coaches have one.
Unless they're a dance coach. :wink:

But I tend to be unimpressed by the "imitate me" thing. In order to be a good coach, you need to be able to explain the same things in about 50 different ways, because people learn in different ways. There used to be a saying that, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, coach." It's a bit of a generalisation (to say the least!) but certainly being able to do something is no guarantee that a person can teach it adequately, let alone well.