New post-Europeans Sonia Bianchetti article | Page 3 | Golden Skate

New post-Europeans Sonia Bianchetti article

Spirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
If you look at the revised score 3in favor of B&S-3 in favor of S&P. That's a tie in any sport. There is no rule in figure skating to break a tie.
In Jon Jackson's book, he expresses a wish that Le Gougne's scores had been replaced with the scores of the alternate judge, especially since that's what the alternate judge is for. It's a nice logical argument, so yes, in a way, there is a rule to break a tie. Sort of.

For the record, the reason that didn't happen was that Canada did not want to take away B&S's gold; the duplicate gold was actually their suggestion.

Also for the record, Jackson expressed dismay that Le Gougne's scores were only thrown out for the programs of B&S and S&P. He argues that if a judge's scores are to be thrown out, they should be thrown out completely, instead of just throwing out a couple and keeping the rest. It's an incredibly good point, and reveals how much the situation was nothing more than a quick emergency fix, and not an actual solution.

treeskater

Rinkside
I just finished Jon's wonderful book - added to the book and other writings of Sonia, there is a part of me that hopes there is a huge CoP mistake that causes a deafening roar from the skaters, coaches, public, fans at the O's. It will take a 9.0 earthquake to stop the cheating and removal of Speedy from his dictatorship..

rain - I guess there is new information on this topic. What other competitions were there that could possibly be caused by corruption or bettes still, collusion?

Spriit - What is Jon Jackson's book called? Good point about the Alternate Judge. Would that be possible for him/her to be sitting in the judges chairs? or is the alternate used soley if the principal judge is incapacitated?

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Spirit said:
In Jon Jackson's book, he expresses a wish that Le Gougne's scores had been replaced with the scores of the alternate judge, especially since that's what the alternate judge is for. It's a nice logical argument, so yes, in a way, there is a rule to break a tie. Sort of.

Well, I read historically the altnate judge scores used only when a judge was sick withdrawing from judge before the event. There is no precedence to throw out a 'cheating' judge score replace with the alternate judge....but there was precedence when the last phase tied with two skaters, the previouse phase result make tie break.....if this rule cited, B/S still would've won.

I agree with kyla2, ISU should deal with the judges not in hurry reward 2nd Gold. In Summer Olympics, Korean Gymnastist diddn't got his 2nd gold even the judge made mistake, I honestly don't think it was an incident....the judge in judging fending between Chinese team and the other country (I forgot the name) made obviouse biased calls, and got replaced by chairman of the its international governing body on spot, but his judge scores stands. chinese lost.

Spirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
What is Jon Jackson's book called?

On Edge. I wrote a review of it for Golden Skate a few weeks ago.

Joesitz said:
Would that be possible for him/her to be sitting in the judges chairs? or is the alternate used soley if the principal judge is incapacitated?
mzheng sounds like he knows more than I do about this, but my understanding is that the alternate judge judges the competition alongside the other judges, as it happens, so the alternate's scores are available to replace another judge's scores if need be.

Spirit

On the Ice
mzheng said:
In Summer Olympics, Korean Gymnastist diddn't got his 2nd gold even the judge made mistake, I honestly don't think it was an incident.
The two situations are not comparable. First, the gymnastics situation was an accident, not the result of corruption. Second, the Korean delegation had a window of opportunity to notice the mistake and have it rectified; they missed it. Third, the judge actually made two mistakes, one in the Korean's favor, one not in his favor, and had both judging mistakes been rectified (because you can't just fix one and not the other), he still wouldn't have won.

kyla2

Final Flight
Rain

I am an eminently fair person with considerable integrity. I consider the situation in SLC totally lacking in integrity. Please don't be surprised by my view, just as I am not surprised that you are Canadian.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Spirit said:
mzheng sounds like he knows more than I do about this, but my understanding is that the alternate judge judges the competition alongside the other judges, as it happens, so the alternate's scores are available to replace another judge's scores if need be.
What I read in the heat of that happened, there were talk about the alternate judge's score been used. But it turned out, there neve was precedent like this, and ISU never had the specific rule to deal with this scenario. While the ISU rule was very specifically for the altnate judge scores can be used ONLY if one of judge is SICK during the event can't complete his/her judge venue. As it turned out the altnate judge score can't be in this perticular situation. Then there is altnative solution is to use the SP tie break, which had the precedence.

Scott lost my respect forever for his reporting at SLC.....he preclaimed the 'scandal' right there when S/P LP score came up. Way before French judge was forced 'professed' by couple of N/A judges at Hotel lobby......Now question, how Scott knew this is a scandal before hand?

And I totally agree with Kyla
consider the situation in SLC totally lacking in integrity

Spirit

On the Ice
mzheng said:
Way before French judge was forced 'professed' by couple of N/A judges at Hotel lobby.
The French judge admitted wrongdoing on her own, not only in front of about 4 people the night of the competition, but again the next morning in front of about 10 different people during the event review meeting, also without provocation.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Spirit said:
The French judge admitted wrongdoing on her own, not only in front of about 4 people the night of the competition, but again the next morning in front of about 10 different people during the event review meeting, also without provocation.
I don't care how many times she admitted, as long as the first time was in the lobby, after the pair competetion, when she came back from the events exhausted and tired, while confronted by these N/A judges. Yeah she admitted there was under 'Pressure' from her federation. But she was the only ONE vote, there were other 4 who voted in favor of S/B, were they all cheated? Were they under pressure from their federation as well? Why won't they being confronted by these N/A judges?.....It was blow out of propertion with NA media, how did Scott knew before hand this will be a scandal? Did he have every intention to help create one?......there are so many questions why no one bother to ask or answer?

Once again just show how media can play up to the general population in their palm.

Mzheng - Everything in life is under media pressure. Not just figure skating.

There was collusion which resulted in a tie, and 2 medals were awarded. Investigation into the whole affair was halted. End of subject.

Did Sonia Henie deserve her first Oly gold medal?

Joe