Official Russian Nat teams for 2016 Euros | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Official Russian Nat teams for 2016 Euros

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just saying, but Anna had two good Senior B's and finished second to Liza, overall in the Challenger Series, too.
http://www.isuresults.com/events/cs2015/csladies.htm

Not to mention, here is the ISU Season's Best total scores for ladies so far:
1 222.54 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS ISU Grand Prix Final 2015/16 12.12.2015
2 214.07 Anna POGORILAYA RUS ISU CS Mordovian Ornament 2015 18.10.2015
3 211.32 Elena RADIONOVA RUS ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2015 21.11.2015
4 208.85 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN ISU Grand Prix Final 2015/16 12.12.2015

Note Anna is second, with a score almost identical.to what she received here. And, frankly, her skates here were better than at Mordovian Ornament

Last edited:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
well Liza won't get to defend her Euro title either! That's fine by me.

But I think worlds is different. The world champion should go. That would really be a shame if she doesn't. That would be a loss for the entire competition.
I actually think that should be a rule that the reigning WC gets a bye no matter what for the world championships.

Then Yulia should have gotten to go because without Mao competing she was the de facto #1. And #1 on seasons standing. It wasn't until after Euros took place that she dropped from #1 because she didnt get any points. (Last season, not this season)

Its too bad that there isn't any proviso for skaters who are better than those from other countries who get to compete without any trouble at Worlds. Yulia without competing at a major ISU competition since 2014-2015 GPF is still in 8th and Elizaveta is in 2th (just as Yulia was last year) in the World Standings. In season world ranking Elizaveta is 3rd and Yulia is 13th. But the autumn was much rougher on both skaters. If both were able to compete at Worlds even with placing the lowest they have before in ISU competion they would still stay pretty close to their current standing. Without being able to they're forced artificially downwards. I don't think its quite the same this year but last year other than Yulia every single person age eligible in the top 24 was able to go to Worlds despite the fact that even with an off FS she would have placed ahead of at least 18 of them. (Except any skaters who werent competing at all really that season)

Last edited:

jg2000

On the Ice
Then Yulia should have gotten to go because without Mao competing she was the de facto #1. And #1 on seasons standing. It wasn't until after Euros took place that she dropped from #1 because she didnt get any points.

Honestly, I really feel like the current system is fine (and I'm a fan of Liza and Julia). If the world champ/defacto #1/whatever didn't skate well enough to earn their spot on the team, then they shouldn't go. I don't think it's a huge loss for the competition; there will be people who skated better than the champ that season at the comp.
IMO it's really more fair if each season is taken separately, a lot can change with each season and the competition rosters should reflect that.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Honestly, I really feel like the current system is fine (and I'm a fan of Liza and Julia). If the world champ/defacto #1/whatever didn't skate well enough to earn their spot on the team, then they shouldn't go. I don't think it's a huge loss for the competition; there will be people who skated better than the champ that season at the comp.
IMO it's really more fair if each season is taken separately, a lot can change with each season and the competition rosters should reflect that.

Yes, but even only concerning this season rankings they're both still above 60% of the skaters at Worlds. (See my edited post above.) Even with a rough SP, Elizaveta would still place in the top 10. Even with a rough FS Yulia would still be able to place in the top 8. (Evidence their standing at Rus. Nats, the most difficult competition this season). I went more conservative with my estimate for Elizaveta because mistakes in the SP are generally more costly percentage-wise)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The thing is, this is the ISU. Any extra spot - and I do not necessarily disagree that reigning World Champions should get a "free" spot - will be taken from the little countries - and as much as I love and adore Liza and am heartbroken she likely won't be in Boston, taking a spot from the little countries is unacceptable.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
The thing is, this is the ISU. Any extra spot - and I do not necessarily disagree that reigning World Champions should get a "free" spot - will be taken from the little countries - and as much as I love and adore Liza and am heartbroken she likely won't be in Boston, taking a spot from the little countries is unacceptable.

They should add one or two spots. I was saying around this time last year that they should add a spot only for those who are in the top ten of the world standing who aren't able to get a spot, not because they're not good enough in comparison with the top ten who aren't from their country, but because there is an unprecedented level of talent in their country now under the IJS system. The top six eligible skaters are better than everyone but Ashley, Gracie, Satoko, Mao, Rika, and maybe Polina or whoever the third entry for the US is. I didn't miss anyone from US or Japan did I?

My point is someone in the top eight should not be missing Worlds. I'm not saying they should increase spots for a country specifically, in fact I thought of this just a couple of days ago that rather than having more entries for Russia or Japan or wherever such a case may arise that they instead compete as a non country skater. Spots would still be determined by the country's regular team but a skater who is in the top ten of World standing (which is determined over the course of three years so no one can say its just a flash in the pan but instead backed up by the course of time) is not punished because they're competing against more talent than Gracie or Ashley do for example to get out of the US.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Congrats ladies... Wow Anna! So proud of you!! Good luck at worlds, may be you will prove to be that dark swan I knew you always had it in you. For once, I agree with the team entirely! Who'd have thought, no world champion, no olympic champions, it is nice to see they are fair for once and Sinsanity PCS can only hold you up so high!

No Adian... hmm... a little too green still, try harder next year!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
They should add one or two spots.

I don't know why they should. It's a sport. You compete in the here and now. You qualify or you don't. Russia has every right to invite Elizaveta to compete in one of the three spots on their team. If the Russian Federation believes they have three athletes with a better shot than she does at winning a World medal and they have the competition results to back up that argument, then that is the decision. There are only three spots on the World podium.

Personally, I was behind her 100% at Russian Nationals. I thought she would get the job done.

She didn't. If she is selected, I will understand; but unless Anna implodes at Europeans, I would go with the three athletes who have demonstrated they have the programs and competitive will now. Ultimately, it doesn't change my view toward Elizaveta. I think she'll be back and fighting strong next season.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She didn't. If she is selected, I will understand; but unless Anna implodes at Europeans, I would go with the three athletes who have demonstrated they have the programs and competitive will now.

I think it is very possible that Anna could skate poorly at Europeans. The problem for Liza is that she finished behind a few other capable skaters. Still, if I had to choose among Julia, Adelina, or Liza for the 3rd spot I'd go with Liza because she is the only one with the potential to win the world title this year.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think it is very possible that Anna could skate poorly at Europeans. The problem for Liza is that she finished behind a few other capable skaters. Still, if I had to choose among Julia, Adelina, or Liza for the 3rd spot I'd go with Liza because she is the only one with the potential to win the world title this year.

I think in Liza's documentary they said that to decide who would take Adelina's spot at 2014 Worlds they would have to compete in a Russian Cup competition so who knows how they will pick in case a 3rd spot opens up. Maybe they'll have to compete again or the Fed will just choose outright who they want to go. I guess that's the scary thing about Russia, do well or you're easily replaceable:cry:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Yes, and that could make a decision tricky. In general, I just think it's wise to let the competition at Nationals speak for itself. But that has never been the way Russia chooses its World team. OTOH, if they were seriously considering sending Liza, I think she would be scheduled for Europeans. The fact that she isn't makes me think her finish at Nationals was likely too low for said consideration.

And that Russia is banking on Mao Asada not stepping up to the plate and knocking a performance out of the park.

Last edited:

anirien

Rinkside
Yes, and that could make a decision tricky. In general, I just think it's wise to let the competition at Nationals speak for itself. But that has never been the way Russia chooses its World team. OTOH, if they were seriously considering sending Liza, I think she would be scheduled for Europeans. The fact that she isn't makes me think her finish at Nationals was likely too low for said consideration.

On the other hand though, they did send Kovtun to Europeans in 2014 and when he did poorly there they sent Plushenko to the Olympics instead. I think if Anna does poorly at Europeans there's still a chance for Liza. (Or maybe I'm just holding out hope because I'd rather see her live in Boston.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah and china, if they could have 3 divers per event could win all medals at WC or OG… or Canada definitely could send 10 curling teams…. these quotas are sad some years for some skaters/countries (just a few years ago, nobody would have cried over Russian ladies not making world teams when they had a low wave) but it's best for the sport's visibility around the world like this… otherwise, you would have 10 russian ladies and maybe 6 japanese and 4 americans in the top 20… or so… :) would that be fun to watch?
Yes, but even only concerning this season rankings they're both still above 60% of the skaters at Worlds. (See my edited post above.) Even with a rough SP, Elizaveta would still place in the top 10. Even with a rough FS Yulia would still be able to place in the top 8. (Evidence their standing at Rus. Nats, the most difficult competition this season). I went more conservative with my estimate for Elizaveta because mistakes in the SP are generally more costly percentage-wise)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
On the other hand though, they did send Kovtun to Europeans in 2014 and when he did poorly there they sent Plushenko to the Olympics instead. I think if Anna does poorly at Europeans there's still a chance for Liza. (Or maybe I'm just holding out hope because I'd rather see her live in Boston.)
That's really the point in my opinion. Fans want to see the reigning champions defending their titles. People buy tickets months before a competiton. It's just not good for the sport if the reigning champion is not allowed to compete. TV can have a nice coverage about the struggling champion. Add a little drama. Figure skating must be attracting attention.
I don't think that the top ten in the world standings should be allowed to compete, just the world champion, that's enough. And nobody can say that he/she hasn't earned the spot, because he/she actually won the previous year.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
She is allowed to compete. If her Federation chooses to send her.

And she didn't earn the spot, unless Russia decides she has done a superior job meeting the selection criteria than at least three other Russian ladies. (Which they still may). Because you have to meet your Federation's requirements during the current season in order to be selected for the team. And because her results for this season do not clearly outshine those of her teammates. This may have happened in figure skating before, but the example that springs immediately to mind is in gymnastics. In 2001, Feng Jing won the men's all-around competition at the World Gymnastics Championships. China had sent its B team to the competition because the Chinese government had designated a simultaneous competition--I believe it was the Asian Games--as the meet that would determine the amount of national funding for the sport the following year. Feng Jing defeated the entire rest of the World, but it didn't matter. Chinese men's gymnastics was so deep that he did not qualify for the following Worlds (in which China won the team event and, ironically, the reigning championship men's team--Belarus--did not place high enough to qualify for the upcoming Olympics).

It is also worth remembering--prior to replacing a #3 ranked athlete--that more than one #3 athlete has gone on to place higher than his/her/their teammates during Worlds and/or Olympics. Including Evan Lysacek in 2009 and 2010 and Sui & Han last season. So it shouldn't be done automatically but with serious thought.

Fans do not determine which athletes compete at legitimate amateur events. Results do. And there will be plenty of World-class competitors in Boston. I'm fairly certain Yuzuru & Mao will bring a vast number of fans to this year's Worlds. (If Japanese fans were willing to travel halfway around the World to watch a domestic summer competition--The Autumn Classic--they will show up in Boston).

Last edited:

Perdita

Final Flight
So, which ladies are going to the Cup of Russia Final?? As far as I heard, Liza and Yulia will probably be there, so they'll have another chance to show their performances to be qualified for the Worlds. I can't find the list of skaters who are qualified for the competition...

ETA:
Okay, so I found out that the fed is allowing and recommending those who didn't qualified for the Euros to compete at the Cup of Russia Final regardless of the qualification. I suppose Zhenya, Lena and Anna will also be accepted to skate there if any of them couldn't perform well at the Euros, since the competition is officially the final occasion for the fed to choose the World team. In any case, the Cup of Russia Final will look like the Nationals Part 2... :dbana:

Last edited:

lavoix

Match Penalty
As much as I liked Pogorilaya's LP at Russian Nationals, I don't want to see her at worlds.

Between now and then I want to see Yulia and Liza working their skates off in the rink!

Violetti

On the Ice
I am happy for all three ladies going to Euros.
If Liza doesn't perform better this year and get higher scores and that way get to Worlds that is as it should be. And I am a Liza fan. Of course the bests of the season should go. It would be unfair to let a younger one replace them unless their scores are quite similar. If Russia would have more spots for Worlds it would at least partly kill the sport in some countries. A victory for smaller countries is even to get their skater among to first ten and then get the second skater for the next year. That would be even harder if Russia would be preferred with more spots.

There should be a competition for 15-20 season's best score skaters of the world if you would want to see them all in the same competition. You would have only Russian, Japanese and USA girls/women skating there or one from Canada and Kazakhstan if you choose 20 and leave juniors away. Meanwhile you can enjoy Russian nationals if you like.

Barb

Record Breaker
I agree the world champion should obtain an spot automatically, not of the 3 spots, but one aditional. Anyway I think it is unfair too chose the 3rd spot with Ana in Euros and Liza and Yulia in a local and probably at closing doors competition. Euros is more difficult simply because the pressure, the audience, etc.