Olympic Champions battle | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympic Champions battle

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
By the rules stated in the first post (skating their winning program cleanly... which many of them didn't do in the actual Olympics they won :p)

None of this reflects my personal opinion about their programs--judging solely based on "planned tech." Nor does it reflect what I think would happen if they actually competed (e.g. Plushenko didn't try a second quad but obviously would if he knew he were competing against Yagudin and Hanyu, Midori Ito didn't even win her own Olympics, but would probably win every single other Olympics if she actually skated clean ect.).

Yes, Yagudin's program was harder without the second quad couldn't have imagined the Olympic champion title in 2002. In 2006 Plush was miles from the other competitors in technic (the margin was 28 points to Lambiel). Thus he skated a clean program. But I wanted to see the scores in 6.0 system.
Yagudin was perfect in 2002.

And unfortunately Yagudin retired. I wanted to see Plushy's revenge in 2006. ;)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's really impossible to compare. Witt had to do compulsory figures, which took a lot of time away from mastering triples. Yamaguchi with 7 triples might have beaten Yuna with 6 triples under 6.0, but probably not COP in which the quality of the jumps are more important than the quantity. Midori's 1992 programs skated perfectly and Mao's 2014 numbers would take the top two spots on technical merit alone.
Well probably not because of spins, spirals, footwork that would factor in as well - it is hard to compare - different eras, different rules and different scoring systems. Skaters like Michelle and Tara who did well under 6.0 while would do okay under COP they would not get the GOEs on their jumps probably.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My picks which are just my opinion

Men - yagudin - technical prowess, power and wonderful presentation

Pairs - G and G 1994 yes flawed but just chilling

Ladies - Yuna Kim and Sotnikova - technically amazing and artistically enchanting

Dance - Klimova and Pomarenko - mesmerizing

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The progress in the technical department really gives the newer OGMs the advantage in the mens field I think (well, I except for one obvious case).
So: 1. Yuzuru, 2./3. Plush/Yags (really hard to decide :drama: )

The ladies is way more difficult... I'd say Yuna for gold, but the other two? Maybe Adelina and Kristi.
I'm surprised though so many people included Witt - IMO, she's nowhere near that podium if the other ladies skate halfway well. She had weak basic skating skills, half her programs were posing, and the jump content was also nothing to brag about. Of course if it's just by personal preference that's a different story, but if we halfway talk about how those ladies would stack up skating their past programs clean in the same competition... Witt would have no shot at all, IMO.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yes, Yagudin's program was harder without the second quad couldn't have imagined the Olympic champion title in 2002. In 2006 Plush was miles from the other competitors in technic (the margin was 28 points to Lambiel). Thus he skated a clean program. But I wanted to see the scores in 6.0 system.
Yagudin was perfect in 2002.

And unfortunately Yagudin retired. I wanted to see Plushy's revenge in 2006. ;)
It pains me to say this (as a fan of both Yagudin and Plushenko, as well as their era in general), but I don't know if Yagudin would've made it to 2006 even without the hip issue. Honda and Goebel didn't get there, and even Plushenko had quite a scare in 2005. I think men's figure skating owes a lot to their era, but it came at a heavy cost to the skaters themselves.

I'm surprised though so many people included Witt - IMO, she's nowhere near that podium if the other ladies skate halfway well. She had weak basic skating skills, half her programs were posing, and the jump content was also nothing to brag about. Of course if it's just by personal preference that's a different story, but if we halfway talk about how those ladies would stack up skating their past programs clean in the same competition... Witt would have no shot at all, IMO.
Yeah, by the premise of the first post, Witt would be rock bottom. IIRC, she landed four triples and they were toes and salchows.

That being said, if the premise were: "All these Olympic champions get reincarnated in the same era, grow up and train under the same system, and compete against each other once they reach peak age," my answer would be quite different. Witt, for instance--though lacking jump content/skating skills/complexity in programs by today's standards--was a steely competitor who knew exactly what she needed to do to win on the big stage. I mean, there's a reason she's one of only two repeat Olympic champions, and has more World titles than anyone in recent memory except Michelle Kwan.

Who knows if she could've adapted to the demands of COP, but in general, I tend to think great champions would've been successful regardless of what era you plop them into. Because with few exceptions, what makes a champion isn't eras/systems, but rather their own hard work, talent, and competitive mindset. :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
It pains me to say this (as a fan of both Yagudin and Plushenko, as well as their era in general), but I don't know if Yagudin would've made it to 2006 even without the hip issue. Honda and Goebel didn't get there, and even Plushenko had quite a scare in 2005. I think men's figure skating owes a lot to their era, but it came at a heavy cost to the skaters themselves.
t
Yes, I also think so... probably Yagudin wouldn' have made it to 2006 without hip issue.. But I think Plush was in perfect shape in 2006 in general. (He was sick one month earlier... at European Championships )