On the rise, Neset and Markelov set higher goals | Golden Skate

Interview On the rise, Neset and Markelov set higher goals

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

American ice dancers Leah Neset and Artem Markelov are setting higher goals as they continue to rise through the ranks. The duo dominated on the Junior Grand Prix circuit this season, winning both solo events and the Final. They have improved significantly since last season which they capped off with a fifth-place finish at 2023 Junior Worlds. They are now considered the frontrunners and carry the weight of expectations as favorites for the upcoming Junior Worlds in Taipei.

In this interview we reflect on their week of big success in Beijing. The duo shares how they met three years ago and how Markelov moved in with Leah’s family without knowing any English. He tells about his first challenges in the new country and how he managed to settle in. We talk about the secret of their success and what makes them such a good match, both on and off the ice.

We also go back in time and learn how both of them started skating and what made them switch from singles to ice dance and what fascinates them about their discipline. We learn what they enjoy doing next to skating, and when speaking about one another, it gets obvious that they have a deep bond between each other off the ice.

Neset and Markelov will compete next at the 2024 U.S. Junior Championships and will then prepare for Junior Worlds.

It has not yet been decided if they will move up to the senior ranks next season. They are still age-eligible for one more year as juniors.

Weathergal

Medalist
Enjoyed the interview -- they are so charming! I also think they are very well spoken and poised for their ages. It was interesting to hear how they celebrated Leah's birthday while they were in Beijing at JGP Finals. I like their approach to their skating. They seem very focused and hard working.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Enjoyed the interview; they are very young but the skating is very mature..
their decision to move up or not will be interesting. They still have challenges they may want to face as jumiors and a lot can happen on the Senior Circuit in a year. Wish they had mentioned what kind of dogs they have🤗😍. I love their programs this year. Will look forward to their future with interest. .. lovely performers.

What an appealing duo! Hard to believe that Artem did not speak any English three years ago. :bow: :clap:

Sure they should move up to seniors if they feel that they are redy. Competition with U.S teams that have more experience? -- well, thats the whole point of sports, right?

By the way, the reason tat Minot, North Dakota. is called the Magic City is that it was a railroad boomtown that sprung up overnight "as if by magic" during the railroad building era in the 1880s. :)

As for the dogs (Jax and Izzy), I know that dog sledding is a big recreation in Minot. I'm going with Malamutes. :laugh: