Pairs LP from TV | Golden Skate

Pairs LP from TV

mzheng

Record Breaker
Petik deserve their win.
But I felt the Poland pairs under marked in PCS scores. They really have the good pair basics. Though I have to see the score sheet to make sure.
Pan/Tong from china really improved presentation wise this season. Especially her, more stretched out. I can see she is coming out of her shell....Supprisingly their pair spin was more in unison than Rusian.....but they still need some refines in program.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Interesting that I disagree with both of Pet&Tik placements this season. I though they should have won in Canada, and I thought Pang&Tong were better in China. Mind you, I am not saying the results were wrong, rather those were my impressions and I think those would have been the results under ordinals.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Live, there's a noticeable different between the two pairs, at least since 2004: Petrova/Tikhonov use the entire rink and more serpentine patterns, and they tend to be more even and polished. Petrova's positions in lifts are much better than Pang's; Pang and Zhang don't have as much vertical reach or amplitude, and they tend to be horizontal or flat in the air. Pang/Tong use less of the rink and tend to cut the sides and ends short and skate in more circular patterns.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Hockeyfan, it's always interesting how different things look live than on TV. I think the "it's boring" factor is much stronger on TV, so perhaps that's one reason Pet & Tik aren't well liked.

gezando

Final Flight
I think Russian P&T deserved to win. Am I imagining it or has Pang gained some wt? Their throw triple twist and throw jumps are so awesomje, and usually Pang holds the exit edge of her throw jumps for a long huge flowing distance.

mzheng

Record Breaker
gezando said:
I think Russian P&T deserved to win. Am I imagining it or has Pang gained some wt? Their throw triple twist and throw jumps are so awesomje, and usually Pang holds the exit edge of her throw jumps for a long huge flowing distance.
You have to see their throw in person to get the feeling how big their throw and twist are. I saw them did once in this year's COI tour, the tv screen can't convey the 'huge' factor.

I'm really amazed the way Pang coming out of her shell. I always felt she has the esense of typical chinese 'acient beauty' when I first lay my eye on her. Late I read some article and interview about this pairs, knew that the real life of her also having this typical chinese acient girl's characters. Very inward. (I got the similar feeling about Shizuka, typical Japanese beauty and chara)....when all the criticizing of how thin she looks, I don't feel she is that perticula thin in chinese standard.....I used to be just as thin at her age. The band used to curb my hair can also be used for my waist belt....She looks same to me.

That said, I still feel she stifs here and there, and the program has yet to meld together. There are several places you can see one is waiting for another to come around. You don't see such things from Petik....I really hope Pang/Tong works hard to meld their program in next a few month. Given that S/Z may not be able to skate at Turino, they are the most hopeful chinese pairs.

gezando

Final Flight
mzheng said:
You have to see their throw in person to get the feeling how big their throw and twist are. I saw them did once in this year's COI tour, the tv screen can't convey the 'huge' factor.

Oh, I have seen them live, in fact side by side with Z&Z at skate america a few years ago. Chinese P&T's throw twists and throw jumps are huge compare to Z&Z, BTW, Z&Z were no slouch in that department. Pang held the exit edge of her throw triple loop for 1/3 the length of the rink. I think they have developed a good rapport too, not quite as good as S&Z yet

mzheng

Record Breaker
gezando said:
I think they have developed a good rapport too, not quite as good as S&Z yet
Yes. May be in a way they are still on a side tradition way of chinese. They usually shy to display the intimacy in public if they are not in relationship as boy/girl friend or wife/husband. My hubbie neve give me a peg on check in public even we've been live in US for over 15 years. lol.