Pairs SP (and starting order) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP (and starting order)

oleada

Record Breaker
lower ranked teams (i.e. Bird/Schultz and Lawrence/Sweigers) did quite well up to their SBS and stuff. and higher ranked teams (Takahashi/Tran, Martiusheva/Rogonov, Sheremetieva/Kuznetsov) had either major or minor mistakes, which resulted in similar scores for all.

mystichaze

On the Ice
Wow Castelli/Shnapir had a great skate! I really love their SP. She is so flexible! I hope they do just as well in the LP and medal here.

oleada

Record Breaker
All the big guns have bombed, more or less (except I/M and they even had a mistake).

S/K - she singled the lutz, otherwise they'd be second easily.
Z/W - fell on death spiral, element didn't count
M/R - disaster. She fell on nothing, right before the lutz, so they did them out of unison, he singled, she fell on the throw, everything that could go wrong pretty much did.
T/T - several mistakes, can't recall them.

oleada

Record Breaker
The scores are so close that I think we'll see a lot of movement tomorrow. Only about 4.5 points between 2nd and 11th. Aside from I/M, I have no idea who's going to be on the podium! A lot can happen.

Iliuschenina/Maisuradze were quite good and as expected.

Castelli/Schnapir were better than I expected.

The Swiss team was the biggest surprise, but of course not yet up to standards.

The Pairs program was not all that bad or or that good. I think any of the Pairs, particularly, the Canadians and the French. I haven't forgot that Italo/UK team who I think is a budding Pairs. Most Pairs need to work on sbs spins. The Russians know how to do this.

So on to the Long and see if things change.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I'm so pleased for the two Canadian teams here.:rock: Bird & Schultz are just up from novice this year, and Lawrence & Sweigers are first year seniors in Canada, who did pretty well at the Canadian championships. I hope the both do well in the FS and at least keep their places.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My company arrived for lunch-so I had to quit doing PBP. If IN ever gets the videos up on demand, I'll do PBP for the rest.

I am so thrilled that Castelli & Shnapir got good PCS for their Survivor program. They deserve it. It's all transitions. This is their first (and only) trip to JW as they age out next year, so I'd be over the moon if they got a medal of some sort and qualify for next year's GP somewhere. They will never be Sr World contenders, but they do such interesting stuff.

lcd

Match Penalty
Following along a point I just made in the compulsory dance thread, mistake in the short program are sooo much harder for the judges to "protect" their "ranking" of skaters than it is in dance. More a sport that way, and I think this is good. Close scores will make for an exciting sporting event, not a pre-ordained result. Enjoyed the pairs shorts that I saw, even if pairs usually scares me so much more than any of the other disciplines. Those girls are BRAVE!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
IN has the pairs SP up

Takahashi & Tran JPN
Din Daa Daa (MI Remix) by George Kranz
Seventeen Years by Ratatat

He's in a black one piece costume. She's in a red halter dress with a ponytail.
Very cool start position with him bent over and her draped across his back
She singles the double lutz
They rock it into a pair spin which ends in a Natalia spin.
Star lift looked OK
Throw triple loop. She lands 2 footed and it gets messier from there
Double twist with split and arms over head, but it's not very high.
Nice death spiral
45.98 into 3rd

Martiusheva & Rogonov RUS

Horobushko by Bond (Russian folk)
She's got a black skirt with some large gold appliques on it and a red top slashed to the navel with little black puffy sleeves.
He's got black pants, white shirt, and a red vest with more gold appliques
They do a death spiral with her free hand behind her head in that Russian folk preening gesture.
Then it gets bad. She has a bad trip while they are skating to the 2Lz, which she does do, but they are so out of sync that you can't tell whether he did one at all, because the camera is focussing on her. Footwork into a double twist. Throw triple loop and she's down. They do a nice spin, star lift right into their pair spin which has her leg twined around his leg at one point. They do a lot of interesting Russian folk-inspired little transition movements in this program, and it's too bad they had such a difficult day. It's obvious that they are much better than this. Scoring is problematic here.
44.6 with 2 deductions, into 6th.

Sheremetieva and Kuznetzov RUS

Wild Dances by Ruslana

They are in strange, strange costumes. It looks like she has chartreuse green mold in large hanging patches from groin to knee on brown pants. There are orange arm bands (one on upper arm, one at wrist) and a kind of random brown top. His top has epaulets and a big triangular orange patch like there is an orange T shirt being revealed. The rest of the ...no, they're just unbelievably vile. You'll have to see a picture. The last couple was a good pair having a horrible day. This is a not very good pair having a pretty good day. Triple loop throw tilted in the air but landed. Long delay into the lutz and she singles it. They do have a very good and fast side by side spin. They flub getting into the spiral and have to adjust to match. The rest of the spirals are also not crisply hit or in good positions. He gets her up in the star lift on 2 hands, then she has a hand down on his body while he drop one hand, then she lets go her hand; very, very rough in the execution. The death spiral is labored and I don't think they'll get credit for the second revolution. The pair spin starts out with him leaning, and it's hard to believe it is intentional. 48.84 into first.

Zhang & Wang CHN

The Way Old Friends do by Abba, performed by Mrvica (It sure doesn't sound like Abba)

They are in brown outfits. He has a blousy shirt, painted so as to fade into a lighter brown at the top. Hers is all in brown with one wide strap over the shoulder.

They do a nice high double twist, their double lutzes nicely synchronized, but not a great lutz edge, a throw triple loop, completed, but not a lot of height or ice coverage, their spins have a synchro error here and there, but really quite good. Their spirals are nice and seem to have something to do with the music. Then she skids off her edge getting into the death spiral and her butt skids around. They will get no points for the DS. The pair spin, which comes immediately after the death spiral is a little sloppy, and I wonder whether his foot touched early, so that they don't get the level planned.

45.98, one deduction, into 4th.

lisou

On the Ice
Thank you soooo much Doris. Will you be there to do PBP for the men's SP 2nd group later on ?
ETA : I love your costume descriptions.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Iliuschekina & Maisuradze

Prologue by Lorena McKenna

Very simple dark blue costumes. His has a spray of silver on one shoulder, she has a silver spray on the opposite shoulder.

They do footwork into the double lutz. She three turns out of it, but does not put a foot down. She does a backbend in a besti squat into their double twist. The landing is kind of two footed. Camera pans to the coach who looks like she wants to spit. Really good throw triple loop. They do a half Biellmann spiral into a death spiral; she is in the half Biellman while doing the DS too. Nice side by side spin. In the spirals it becomes clear that he is not overly flexible, but they get through them. They the lift goes up rather clumsily. but they get it done.

55.12 into 1st.

Castelli & Shnapir

Survivor Guatemala

She has a light blue and green tie dyed bra top secured with a dark halter strap with a blue shredded skirt. He has a maroon shirt short sleeved golf shirt and black pants. This is a very cool program, and it is hard to describe.
double lutzes, landed with a nicely finished position.
throw double loop with a very complex entry
They do a turning sequence into their double twist,
A nice hip lift into a split like an Arikawa spiral upside down.
They repeat that position right side up in their pair spin
Spiral sequence. He's not overly flexible, but they have some cool positions
Spins Ok with a few small synchro faults

In their ending pose she twists around him somehow, and how did she end up like that.
Very interesting, if not the hardest tricks.

If it's ever available on youtube, it's worth seeing.

49.10 SB into second.