Pairs SP Review | Golden Skate

Pairs SP Review

EWalker

On the Ice
This is the first phase of competition that I was able to attend here in the Springs, and the enviornment is quite odd as far as skating events go. The crowd is very small, and the applause is weak. The skaters seem lethargic in general. I will review all by skate order, and then list final results at the end. If you have questions about particular skaters, please ask... I will respond tonight after the Mens SP.

Hinzmann/Parchem (USA) "The Mission" by Ennio Morricone
Nice split 2 twist with overhead arms--throw 3R good--3 toes good--straightline footwork good, but easy--combination spin with Marcy having problems getting the hook and a lot wobbly--pair spin was slow, but nice positions--lift was pretty and interpreted the music---basic entry into the forward inside death spiral (FIDS). Technical: 28.14; Components: 22.40; Total: 50.54. Currently in 1st place.

Inoue/Baldwin (USA) "Adagio in Minor" by Albinoni
Open with triple toes (!!!)--1 hand Group 3 lift--FIDS with difficult variations including a catch foot--throw 3R good--nice flying combination spin--split 2 twist is technically sound--circular footwork okay--nice pairs spin to close. Very nice performance! Technical: 32.28; Components: 25.23; Total: 57.51. Currently in 1st.

Langlois/Hay (CAN) "The Messiah is Coming"by Gary Moore
Begin with a completed throw 3R--split 2 twist--3 toes eeked out--combination spin shows that they are a new team; just not together enough--basic Group 3 lift; Cody is not so strong in this department--sloppy straightline steps--innovative FIDS with behind-the-back entry and different handholds to close. Technical: 28.72; Components: 22.26; Total: 50.98. Currently 2nd.

Brien/Beckingham (AUS) "Mr. Pin Stripe Suit" by Scotty Morris
Open with a junior-level split 2 twist--into a basic Group 3 lift; his edges are scary, and does not seem to have security in the lift--2 axels are okay, but have odd technique going into them--combination spin is okay--throw 1S Oop! (only planned a double)--nifty FIDS--basic step sequence--very slow and mechanical pairs spin to close. First shaved head I have ever seen in skating; coached by McGrath and Carr. Is this team bran new? Seem to be learning the elements, but were fun to watch. Technical: 20.23; Components: 14.71; Total: 34.94. Currently in 4th.

Aganina/Knyazev (UZB) "La Boheme" by Puccini
First of all, there is a reason why men are not supposed to wear tights. Open with nice 2A--and another 2A, but this time in throw form--split 2 twist was labored--straightline steps are okay--combination spin has nice positions, but slow--lift was just a shade above basic in content, but nice--fast FIDS--weak pairs spin (seems to be the theme here). Technical: 27.41; Components: 18.00; Total: 45.41. Currently in 4th place.

Orscher/Lucash (USA) "Egyptian Disco" by DJ Disse
Open with a nice split 2 twist--Into 3T which she lands and he pops--throw 3F is HUGE (!!!)--Lift is nice with different variations than the other teams--combination spin is okay--very sloppy by Garrett into the pairs spin--straightline steps are okay, but not crisp enough--FIDS ok. Technical: 26.40; Components: 23.37; Total: 49.77. Currently 4th.

Li/Xu (CHN) "Star Wars" :laugh:
International debut for this team?--Open with very nice 3T (which they could NOT land in the warm up)--throw 3R in which HE touches his hand down, but it was nice and big ala typical Chinese pairs--nice pairs spin (better than Pang/Tong I would say)--straightline steps are okay--very nice lift with interesting variations of position--combination spin is typical of a new Chinese team. Just very sloppy--FIDS to end. Nice program for this team. I could grow to like them even with the bad Star Wars music! Technical: 28.11; Components: 18.85, Total: 46.96. Currently 5th.

Wakamatsu/Fecteau (CAN) "The Swan" by Saint--Seans
Very beautiful pair in balletic costumes of pink and off white. Utako is a star! Open with 3T which are eeked out--throw 3S with a huge bend at the waist for her--split 2 twist--straightline steps--beautiful pairs spin with beautiful extension by Utako--combination spin that also has nice positions--beautiful split in the lift--FIDS. I really like this team, and it is a shame that they have struggled thus far this season. Utako smiles from start to finish, and caused Jean to do the same 10 seconds into the program. Technical: 29.27; Components: 24.53; Currently 2nd.

Putnam/Wirtz (CAN) "Sing, Sing, Sing"
Open with a split 2 twist which is okay considering she is almost as tall as him--Group 3 lift with a dismount that has her private parts end up on his nose (Ick!)--3S are nice--very weak FIDS (worst of the night)--throw 3R--sombination spin--very difficult Peter Tchernychev straightline steps in which Liz falls in the first 1/4--pairs spin to close. The music is too big for this team, and they did not skate up to it. Other than the steps, the rest of the choreography is something that I would expect of a junior team. Technical: 27.80; Components: 22.31; Deductions: 1.00; Total: 49.11. Currently 6th.

Standings after the SP:
1. I/B 57.51
2. W/F 53.80
3. L/H 50.98
4. H/P 50.54
5. O/L 49.77
6. P/W 49.11
7. L/X 46.96
8. A/K 45.41
9. B/B 34.94

I agree with all of the results except that I would have flipped 3rd and 4th. In addition, I think that 6th place is way too close to 5th for what happened on the ice.

Now, off to dinner...