Paying for live streams | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Paying for live streams

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Hi for anyone who used a Netherlands VPN to watch Skate America, did you find an overly annoying amount of adverts, especially half way through skates?
When I used a Netherlands VPN no Skate America videos were avalable for me this year, only some speedskating videos, so I switched to a France's one.
Were the ads half way through live performance or during the replays? I think it is annoying anyway, but if live then it's just a damn hell.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
When I used a Netherlands VPN no Skate America videos were avalable for me this year, only some speedskating videos, so I switched to a France's one.
Were the ads half way through live performance or during the replays? I think it is annoying anyway, but if live then it's just a damn hell.
I used the VPN in the Opera browser with it set to Europe (which is currently uses Sweden for). I got no adverts once I went into the browser settings and turned 'Block ads' on. Without them blocked I was getting 2-3 Swedish ads every few minutes and it was very annoying!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
From what people have said, the ads cut straight into the performances (I have a block and while watching the juniors had no problems...) which is ridiculous! :bang: At least during old-style watching-things-on-tv, they held off all the ads for a properly times break (okay, then they dumped a huge number on us, and sometimes cut the program to fit more ads, and god some of them were offputting and... okay okay, give me time to thing about whether Ye Old Ways were a Good Thing or not)

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
From what people have said, the ads cut straight into the performances (I have a block and while watching the juniors had no problems...) which is ridiculous! :bang: At least during old-style watching-things-on-tv, they held off all the ads for a properly times break (okay, then they dumped a huge number on us, and sometimes cut the program to fit more ads, and god some of them were offputting and... okay okay, give me time to thing about whether Ye Old Ways were a Good Thing or not)
Before I turned the adblock on, I was getting ads in the middle of almost every performance when watching the ISU stream on demand. I don't know what it was like for people watching live.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Before I turned the adblock on, I was getting ads in the middle of almost every performance when watching the ISU stream on demand. I don't know what it was like for people watching live.
I don't know how the system works, of course, whether the people overseeing the stream (if they even have any and if they must have ads or end up starving in the virtual sporting gutter) could time the ads to the zamboni breaks or something. It does sound like a complete turnoff for any but the most devoted fans... :drama::bang::drama: and then they wonder why people have ad blockers.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I don't know how the system works, of course, whether the people overseeing the stream (if they even have any and if they must have ads or end up starving in the virtual sporting gutter) could time the ads to the zamboni breaks or something. It does sound like a complete turnoff for any but the most devoted fans... :drama::bang::drama: and then they wonder why people have ad blockers.
I don't think the ISU have any control over it. The ads will be set by a Youtube algorithm. That won't know or care what a zamboni break is.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yes, ISU has nothing to do with Youtube ads. I wrote before that in prime time there are plenty, but for example at Sunday morning they was hardly any. Whatever you watch via Youtube at prime time, you get ads and their are quite similar, too, and also local. I doubt somebody living outside of Finland gets ads of Finnish bread or local supermarkets.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Me also. I only knew GP, Nationals, Worlds and WTT.
The same here but even GP I have came familiar with by this forum. I knew only what national TV had shown. I found this forum during Euro's 2007, probably I was searching for somebody who is interested to talk about FS as I had only my mother in law (she has passed away 7,5 years ago) and one friend, but even they were not so interested than me. I have never skated - I know some basics as it is compulsory in Finnish schools to learn to skate but I have just liked to watch.

icewhite

Record Breaker
The same here but even GP I have came familiar with by this forum. I knew only what national TV had shown. I found this forum during Euro's 2007, probably I was searching for somebody who is interested to talk about FS as I had only my mother in law (she has passed away 7,5 years ago) and one friend, but even they were not so interested than me. I have never skated - I know some basics as it is compulsory in Finnish schools to learn to skate but I have just liked to watch.

!
wow, that's cool
here it's cycling and swimming

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have never skated - I know some basics as it is compulsory in Finnish schools to learn to skate but I have just liked to watch.

!
wow, that's cool
here it's cycling and swimming

Alpine skiing for us Austrians. :laugh:

Very interesting.

I don't know if anything was compulsory, per se. But at my school, PE consisted of (field) hockey and (association) football for the boys; and (field) hockey and netball for the girls.

Hockey was VERY important in my school. So long as we did well in the hockey, it didn't matter how we did in other sports. I swear, if you were on one of the hockey teams, you could get away with anything! :drama:

Suffice to say, I wasn't.

CaroLiza_fan

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Very interesting.

I don't know if anything was compulsory, per se. But at my school, PE consisted of (field) hockey and (association) football for the boys; and (field) hockey and netball for the girls.

Hockey was VERY important in my school. So long as we did well in the hockey, it didn't matter how we did in other sports. I swear, if you were on one of the hockey teams, you could get away with anything! :drama:

Suffice to say, I wasn't.

CaroLiza_fan
We are going a little bit of topic. There are lot of things what children are supposed to learn at gyms class, also swimming. In skating it usually has gone so that boys play hockey and girls just skate. Those who can, can try some spins or jumps. I think I learned a >half of some kind of waltz jump. I never learned effective backwards skating. I can skate backwards, but my technique is bad.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
We are going a little bit of topic.

I wouldn't worry about that. Let's face it, practically the entire thread is off-topic. I'm pretty sure that this thread was intended to be a discussion about the way we are now expected to pay to watch the Challengers, rather than being about the difficulties in watching the GP Series.

Most of the posts in this thread should probably be in the thread you started. But, for some reason, the discussion developed in this thread instead.

CaroLiza_fan