Photo Policy? | Golden Skate

Photo Policy?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ok... the USFSA policy and the official website policy seems to be conflicting a bit... last I heard/read... detachable lenses were not allowed as they are considered "professional" (last I checked the PHOTOGRAPHER was what made a camera look good, but what do I know LOL)

I emailed portland2005.org and they said that my camera would be ok... but they said nothing about what lenses I'd be allowed to use if any... so I emailed them and asked them again LOL my camera is a Rebel XSN and has detachable lenses... I am so confused!

also, are the conditions the same for practices?

sk8pics

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
ok... the USFSA policy and the official website policy seems to be conflicting a bit... last I heard/read... detachable lenses were not allowed as they are considered "professional" (last I checked the PHOTOGRAPHER was what made a camera look good, but what do I know LOL)

I emailed portland2005.org and they said that my camera would be ok... but they said nothing about what lenses I'd be allowed to use if any... so I emailed them and asked them again LOL my camera is a Rebel XSN and has detachable lenses... I am so confused!

also, are the conditions the same for practices?

The USFSA has never previously defined detachable lenses as being forbidden; they have always said "for personal use only." Now, they have specific details as to what sort of lenses are forbidden: BOTH over 200mm AND with a minimum F-stop less than 2.8. I got this information from the portland200 website. The Rose Garden web site, however, has a policy that lists no detachable lenses. They told me they have not yet received the USFS camera policy, so hopefully they will soon and there will be no confusion.

Pat

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Oh, now you have me worried. I just got a fancy new digital camera that kinda pushes the boundaries- okay, way exceeds the boundaries- that are set in the policies. I got such a fancy camera 'cuz I'm such a lousy photographer; it's not like I'm going to sell photos or anything.

I hope they aren't that strict in enforcement. The last couple of years have seemed pretty lenient. I saw a pretty sophisticated camera in Dallas, and one videocamera that got confiscated (but they got it in- it was only taken up when they tried to use it to tape the ladies' long program). In Atlanta, a woman in front of me had one of the most sophisticated looking (non-professional) digital cameras I've ever seen- huge telephoto lens. We kept bugging her because her flash was going off ( :mad: ), and she couldn't figure out how to turn it off( :laugh: ).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know if they take my camera I'd cry....

I hope they don't mind me bringing two :rofl:

sk8pics

Rinkside
I see the Rose Quarter website (http://rosequarter.com) has now been updated with the USFS camera policy information. So, as long as your lens is not BOTH larger than 200 mm AND has an f-stop less than 2.8 you should be okay.

Pat

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
no digital cameras

Got to the arena today and there were signs on all the doors- No DIGITAL cameras. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

No pics from me guys.

sorry.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I didn't see any of those signs!!!! Good thing I left mine at the appartment!

Jhar55

Medalist
I am not there but no digital cameras? First it was no detachable lens now digital what do they expect everyone to use the old instantmatic's :rofl: do they still make film for them :rofl:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
detachable lenses are ok...

digital cameras are not because people are using them to record... which is a no no because of the ABC contract

speaking of which I got to sit behind the ABC people tonight with kwanfan1212!!! Doug Wilson was there! He's my hero!!! Peter Carruthers was there too, dancing in his chair!

brenlynn

On the Ice
it's all about hiding cameras in your bags, so they don't even know you have one.

a good tip... use a purse on the bigger side and throw feminine products on top of it :rofl: sounds absurd, but it's worked for me countless times. i can't believe you can use digital cameras at all.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
okay, after i left my camera in the hotel, i saw several people with digital cameras taking pics. Also, they barely looked into Damon's bag. I'm thinking they may be stricter during competitions; I'm going to try it out tomorrow for practices.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they caught one tool with a digital camera who was recording the practices they 1. told her to put it away and then 2. they made her delete the vids... it was funny because heather and I the entire time were complaining that it was people like that that make it hard for those of us to bring our digital cameras in...

what was really funny was John Baldwin's mom had a video camera and she was recording! :eek:

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I have seen TONS of digital cameras, and HUGE lenses. Not much of a photo policy. I snuck mine in today and shot some pics of mens practice, but they aren't very good, and snapping photos takes away from the experience for me, so I didn't bother for the ladies.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
a 200mm lens can look quite large... and the sports media are allowed bigger (I want one of those so bad!!!!)

I saw you and everytime I went to catch you I somehow missed ya! oh well...tomorrow! :rofl: