Please make Worlds Akiko Please! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Please make Worlds Akiko Please!

dlgpffps

Final Flight
On a positive note, I think it's CRAZY that (1) the reigning world champ, (2) the only lady to win both of her GP assignments this season, (3) the ISU's #2 skater, and (4) the highest-placing lady from Japan at GPF are all different skaters. A ridiculously deep field.

Yes, definitely.

I'm sorry Akiko got the boot. At least we get to see her one more time at 4CC. I missed out on the Tokyo Worlds reservation registration raffle (wanted to see Yu-na's Arirang live), so I might just try 4CC (don't think I'll have too much competition in Taipei)

I agree with those of you who commented on the deep field in Japan. Breathtaking, as one person here said, that there are so many world champs and owners of amazing record-setting jumps in Japan. Congratulations to the three winners (go, Mao!), and also to Akiko. Maybe some other country can adopt her!

miki88

Medalist
I agree with those of you who commented on the deep field in Japan. Breathtaking, as one person here said, that there are so many world champs and owners of amazing record-setting jumps in Japan. Congratulations to the three winners (go, Mao!), and also to Akiko. Maybe some other country can adopt her!

http://morozombie.blogspot.com/2010/12/morozombie-christmas-wishlist-ladies.html#more

According to this blogger, France should adopt Akiko. :biggrin: He's considering making a French passport for her. lol. The blog is hilarious. :laugh:

babayaga

On the Ice
I read somewhere that she said she will stay. This is great, especially if Miki is skipping next season Akiko will have a much better chance to qualify.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I read somewhere that she said she will stay. This is great, especially if Miki is skipping next season Akiko will have a much better chance to qualify.

It would be awesome for Akiko to be able to win in front of her home crowd, you know, with her newly acquired citizenship and all. :biggrin:

miki88

Medalist
It would be awesome for Akiko to be able to win in front of her home crowd, you know, with her newly acquired citizenship and all. :biggrin:

In skating, it's really true that your birthplace determines your destiny. There are probably several European federations that would be overjoyed to have a skater like her.

Morning Glory

On the Ice

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Kanako (a lady with a great future), but I wanted Akiko to make the World team. Oh, well. I'm glad she'll compete at 4CC.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I like Kanako (a lady with a great future), but I wanted Akiko to make the World team. Oh, well. I'm glad she'll compete at 4CC.

With Miki taking a year off next year, I think Akiko's pretty much guaranteed a spot on the team if she chooses to compete next year. Given that Miki's being very public about her year off next year, I'm sure Akiko's aware of this and won't retire before 2012 (or that's what I'm hoping, anyways).

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
With Miki taking a year off next year, I think Akiko's pretty much guaranteed a spot on the team if she chooses to compete next year. Given that Miki's being very public about her year off next year, I'm sure Akiko's aware of this and won't retire before 2012 (or that's what I'm hoping, anyways).

I know this is Akiko's thread, but does anyone know what's Miki's plan during her year off the next year? This is the first time I've heard her taking an year off.
Thanks

ks777

Record Breaker
I know this is Akiko's thread, but does anyone know what's Miki's plan during her year off the next year? This is the first time I've heard her taking an year off.
Thanks

Actually this is the first time I am hearing it also. Maybe she is taking a year off to get married?

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Actually this is the first time I am hearing it also. Maybe she is taking a year off to get married?

Funny, I was thinking about the exact same thing :laugh:

Oh, and go Akiko! Happy that she'll be able to skate at the 4CC :)

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
QUOTE=Layfan;538456]ooooo, it'd be so great to see Akiko become 4CC champion :)[/QUOTE]
:yes::yes:

babayaga

On the Ice
About Miki - I don't know what her plans are, but I heard that she wanted to take a break after the Olympics but then decided to stay this year since the world championship is in Japan. I think she just wants to rest and enjoy her life ;) (it was many years of non-stop training) and then come back to fight for the next Olympic games. I don't know all of this for sure, so I'd also appreciate if anyone has more reliable information.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
About Miki - I don't know what her plans are, but I heard that she wanted to take a break after the Olympics but then decided to stay this year since the world championship is in Japan. I think she just wants to rest and enjoy her life ;) (it was many years of non-stop training) and then come back to fight for the next Olympic games. I don't know all of this for sure, so I'd also appreciate if anyone has more reliable information.

I think that this was mentioned several times in the Japanese press that she'd take a year off before Sochi (and was just hearsay at that point), but she mentioned during an interview on Japanese TV right after one of her skates at GPF that she was taking next season (2011-12) for "rest" before getting back in the game for the season before the Olympics.

I personally think that's a great idea since it's hard to maintain that level of training (both physically and mentally) for so many years, and using '11-'12 as rest allows her to come back on the radar for a season before the Olympic season. Hopefully she'll take that time not only to rest, but also to skate in shows so that she goes leaps and bounds in terms of interpretation, just like Shizuka did during her first year off.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Sure Japan wants Kanako on the world team. But they also have other young promising skaters.. E.g. I think the 14 years old Risa Shoji, in 4th place after SP, was more than great.

You can still hope, though. Go Akiko!!!

And if Risa continues to skate well, she will get her chances too. She's not eligible for 2 years though. The Japanese federation needs to give their young skaters opportunities. Who knows how long Miki, Mao, or Akiko will last? It sucks because Akiko is a fine skater, and if she skated anywhere else she'd probably be on the team but the Japanese federation is right to think long term. Its not like Akiko's international results are that much better than Murakami's.

miki88

Medalist
It sucks because Akiko is a fine skater, and if she skated anywhere else she'd probably be on the team but the Japanese federation is right to think long term. Its not like Akiko's international results are that much better than Murakami's.

I agree. Risa and Kanako have more potential than Akiko. I think Akiko more or less maxed out her potential. I enjoy her presentation and joy in her skating but I also can't ignore her weak spins, spirals, and posture. Also, her jumps aren't that solid. In other words, she has certain technical weaknesses that are harder to overcome even with sophisticated presentation.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
And if Risa continues to skate well, she will get her chances too. She's not eligible for 2 years though. The Japanese federation needs to give their young skaters opportunities. Who knows how long Miki, Mao, or Akiko will last? It sucks because Akiko is a fine skater, and if she skated anywhere else she'd probably be on the team but the Japanese federation is right to think long term. Its not like Akiko's international results are that much better than Murakami's.

I dont think Murakami made the team over Akiko for any other reason then she skated much better at Nationals.