Plushenko interview on Russian championship judging | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko interview on Russian championship judging

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There we are, some drama to keep us occupied before the GP final. Haha

My position on judging has always been clear: unless you have definitive proof of malfeasance or corruption, it is just sour grapes and sore loserness because things didn’t go your way.

Especially when you take time to disparage the winning coach and put crowns on her photos. This is childish behavior.

Maybe time will be better spend congratulating the winner and figuring out what you are doing wrong and fixing it. But it’s easier to disparage the judges rather than look inward and acknowledge your deficiencies.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Zhilina was, but Titova wasn’t.

Article from 2021

Why did you decide to leave Eteri Georgievna in the end?

Sofia Titova:
… I was kicked out.

Why?

Sofia Titova:
Many weren’t taken, they kicked them out. It turned out that in two seasons I did not jump … Well, nothing. With what I came, with that I left.

Why do you think it happened? In Eteri Tutberidze’s group anyone will jump. I remember that Daniil Samsonov told me that he also came to the Khrustalny with double jumps and was able to jump a triple flip at the very first training session.

Sofia Titova:
Because of fear.

What do you mean?

Sofia Titova:
Well, it happens because of fear. You do it purely on emotions. Danya was afraid that they would not take him, so he jumped.

Why didn’t it work out for you? Was there little fear?

Sofia Titova:
(Laughs.) It seems to me that I just did not understand how serious everything was. Little girl didn’t even realize … Nothing at all (laughs).

And how does this happen? Are they just say you “Goodbye”? And that’s it?

Sofia Titova:
Yeah.

Was it offensive?

Sofia Titova:
Yes…

Did Eteri Georgievna somehow explained this? Because there have already been such stories – for example Anya Shcherbakova in childhood was offered to practice triple jumps in another place, but then she returned.

Sofia Titova:
I had this too. For the first time, Eteri Georgievna said (to leave and try to learn the triple jumps in another place) – we left. Then we returned. And the second time, other coaches talked to my mother.

So you got kicked out twice?

Sofia Titova:
Yes. When I first came to the group, I skated there for the whole season. Then Eteri Georgievna said to go and try to do something with triples. We left, then we returned – and here again.

But the first time did you come back with triples? Well, at least some.

Sofia Titova:
No (laughs). All the way with Eteri Georgievna I went from eight to nine years approximately. From the age of eight I trained, then we was taking additional lessons for 3-4 months. Well, it all ended at about nine years old.

When you left Khrustalny for the second time, were there any other options besides Plushenko?

Sofia Titova:
No. In general, we thought for a long time. Didn’t know where to go. Well, in the end, my grandmother suggested – let’s go to Evgeny Viktorovich, his academy has opened. And before the new year 2019, I already came there.

hanca

Record Breaker
Thank you. I didn’t know that.

Well, after reading the article, I don’t think there is much that can be credited to Tutberidze. Titova came to her aged 8, with only double jumps and left two seasons later, still with only double jumps. So one can safely say that Titova is Pluschenko’s work, not Tutberidze’s. Now she has 3A and quads.

Last edited:

JimR

On the Ice
Titova has none of that beautiful choreography and plasticity you see in TSHT skaters, so it seems like it just never worked out there. Something didn't click. Maybe attitudinal issues as we've seen demonstrated repeatedly reacting to her scores at the world championship and now at the GPF.

Zhilina with a couple years with TSHT could turn into quite a beautiful skater. She has a lot more potential than someone like Trusova for example. Jumps are more stable, spins are really good. She does lack an 'airiness' out there though.

She just needs good coaching right now otherwise she'll be that skater forever complaining about rivals being overscored, etc.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Titova has none of that beautiful choreography and plasticity you see in TSHT skaters, so it seems like it just never worked out there. Something didn't click. Maybe attitudinal issues as we've seen demonstrated repeatedly reacting to her scores at the world championship and now at the GPF.

Zhilina with a couple years with TSHT could turn into quite a beautiful skater. She has a lot more potential than someone like Trusova for example. Jumps are more stable, spins are really good. She does lack an 'airiness' out there though.

She just needs good coaching right now otherwise she'll be that skater forever complaining about rivals being overscored, etc.
If by TSHT you mean Tutberidze, Zhilina already left that coaching team a few years ago, so I’m not totally sure that she would want to go back, but as we’ve seen with Kostornaia and Trusova, it is possible.

JimR

On the Ice
If by TSHT you mean Tutberidze, Zhilina already left that coaching team a few years ago, so I’m not totally sure that she would want to go back, but as we’ve seen with Kostornaia and Trusova, it is possible.

She would become more expressive, artistic. It's the best team in the sport.

Although Zhilina is an incredible performer as it is. Pure athlete. Quads are effortless.

Plushenko is a jerk barely happy for Zhilina still upset about Titova I assume.

Tyranid

Final Flight
Fёdor Zonov has everything besides jumps. Somebody help him get jumps and PLEASE don't let this talent go to waste!:pray::pray::pray:

Amei

Record Breaker
She would become more expressive, artistic. It's the best team in the sport.

Although Zhilina is an incredible performer as it is. Pure athlete. Quads are effortless.

Plushenko is a jerk barely happy for Zhilina still upset about Titova I assume.

I don't think Zhilina needs Eteri & co, but I think she needs someone that can choreograph better for her and someone to help her with the mental aspect, maybe the win today for Zhilina can serve as a a turning point for the big competitions going forward