Poirier on "story-telling" - Who else? | Golden Skate

Poirier on "story-telling" - Who else?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

“We’re at the point where the the story-telling is so important and where the connection between us is so important,” he (Poirier) added. “I think that’s going to be more and more important as the season progresses. We’ve had some music changes over the years when the program wasn’t developing in a way we imagined it would. It’s really hard to tell where a program is going to take you, and how it’s going to grow and what that journey is going to be like. So over the years, we’ve really learned to take the time to make sure the music that we select is appropriate and will tell the story we want to tell and grow with us.”

There are other good teams that are good story-tellers.

What stories would you like to see told in Ice Dance and by whom?

What are your thoughts on the other performances/ice dancers at this event?

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Chock and Bates fancy themselves storytellers but this years free dance doesn't seem to have a connection, IMO, with what they say their story is. I believe it's about their love and finding each other but the music just doesn't match up to that. The snake program definitely told a story and even the alien program had its merits. A love story to me should require beautiful, lyrical music!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Chock and Bates fancy themselves storytellers but this years free dance doesn't seem to have a connection, IMO, with what they say their story is. I believe it's about their love and finding each other but the music just doesn't match up to that. The snake program definitely told a story and even the alien program had its merits. A love story to me should require beautiful, lyrical music!
Chock & Bates ARE storytellers as evidenced by the Snake Dance, Mr & Mrs Smith tango, the Astronaut dance and Bad Guy dance. This year's theme of love as inspired by a vintage ring handed down through the ages is hard to create visually. The best version of this sort of theme was Somewehere in Time done by their coaches Dubreuil & Lauzon. Chock and Bates have the sensitivity and skills to do such a piece, but subtlety is hard to do in ice dance where Peacocks thrive. If anyone can make this theme work, Marie-France & Patch are the best ones to try and make this work.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Piper and Paul are good at telling stories through skating (edges and steps). Some other teams rely more on the upper body or use choreo that wouldn't change much if done in sneakers instead of skates. Case in point is the FD choreo sequence - PP's one meshed naturally with the rest of the programme, instead of being like 'let's take a break from skating to dance!'

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My thoughts on other ice dancers at this event: I really loved Fear & Gibson's FD. It's a case of my loving to see them in their wheelhouse, more or less. Something that allows and highlights their exuberance, joy and love of fun!

Having seen Green & Parsons' FD a few weeks ago, I was amazed at how it's already been developed by leaps and bounds since then. So I have great confidence that it's going to grow into something very much able to highlight their dancing and versatility. I learned from @MiraiFan that they chose the music because Caroline's late grandmother loved Gershwin, so that's a positive. Another positive is that I've noticed that Michael does the suave, Gene Kelly 'Singin' in the Rain' portions in their exhibition number with a lot of smooth finesse.

I loved Marjorie and Zach's dance to 'Nuryev.' In fact, I found it mesmerizing and emotional from the start. I think that this music really brings out their expressiveness and ability to give the audience an emotional performance. A big 'thumbs up' from me.

I also found that Bratti and Somerville have taken their FD up several notches since last I saw it. It already looked more like Emily & Ian to me; I find their qualities as a dance team unique and joyful. I've re-watched last year's FD many many times, and I feel they have and project a connection that's wonderful and genuine. I like how often Ian puts both arms around Emily's waist before a lift or other appropriate movement. It adds something to every element. Hard to explain. I love what Emily projects in this FD; Ian's I find a little contrived or over the top. But I really think that will be fixed as Emily and Ian make this music their own over the next few months.