Possibilities for same gender teams in pair/ice dance for competition | Golden Skate

Possibilities for same gender teams in pair/ice dance for competition

Meoima

Match Penalty
We all know people are debating over "FS should come out of the closet". I really want some more realistic comments about the topic of same gender teams in pair skating and ice dancing for ACTUAL competition that can be sanctioned by ISU.

So what if in the near future, they allow same gender pair? And all types of bodies/shapes are welcomed. But there are some elements might be challenging for both side. Like how can you throw a man to do 3 twist? Have that ever happened before in ice shows?

I can see male/male pairs doing very good side by side jumps or even 3A throw and quad throw, but can they perform difficult twist? Like can you image someone like Evan Lysacek throws someone like Daisuke Takahashi on to the air for a triple twist? Can they actually do that because I'm afraid Dai is definitely over 54 kg thus making it more difficult to lift him up and throw him for 3 revolutions over a 6-feet man head? Nevertheless, I think male/male pair can do double twist.

The same for female/female pairs. I can see them with side by side jumps or even 3lz3T combination, and Biellmann or haircutter spins together and looking very good. But I couldn't image any lady throw another lady up in the air for even just a double twist, not to mention all those super difficult lifts in pairs!!!

With ice dance I can see it happening because the lifts in ice dance are not as dangerous and challenging as pairs. But again male/male definitely have huge advantage while female/female pair might struggle with lift.

Strong ladies can lift their male partners in some special occasions, like someone told me about Faiella/Scali, Hurtado/Diaz, Pechalat and Bourzat. But these ladies only lift their male partners once in a while. It's not like they do that in every competition they enter.

What do you think about this topic? If same gender teams in pairs and ice dance are allowed, what kind of major adjustment ISU should do with compulsory elements like throw, lift and twist?

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't see why this is is impossible.
In acrobatic Gymnastics there are 5 different diciplines:

Men pair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb-SfbIsoj8
Women pair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3egz0GJtiXc
men quad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfna9BHj1-M
women trio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5L4MT8LdOQ
and a mixed pair.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQRh8n_5yJM
Thank you. So it's not impossible for ladies. Maybe ISU should open acrobatic competition on ice. ;)

But still I'm looking for female skaters who can throw triple twist with another female pertner. Can it really happen?

Does the twist element always require female partner that is around or under 50 kgs so the twist can be safely done?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are a lot of ladies who get too tall and muscular post puberty to keep a lot of their jumps. They could definitely do the lifting/throwing partner's role in same sex pairs. It would be nice if there were a competitive discipline for them.

As a serious choice, consider Alena Leonova with, say, one of the smallest Russian ladies.

Another serious choice, Zhang Hao from China could certainly do a triple twist with any of the little guys, like Canada's Nam.

Simon Shnapir from the US could work with a small guy, as well.

BTW, check out modern synchro FS's. Teams do lifts and jumps and at least one is doing death spirals.

Last edited:

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I don't know if this was true or not, but I remember reading in one of the Silver Blades books in the 1990s that because of the shortage of male skaters, Special Olympics had an event called Similar Pairs, where two girls skated together. And they developed a really special event where a Special Olympian and a non-Specoal Olympian would skate together, called Unified Similar Pairs.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Physically it is possible, but I don't know much I would enjoy watching that. A big part of pair performance is the chemistry between the male and female skaters, with same gender pairs, they can only do stunts like people do in a circus.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Physically it is possible, but I don't know much I would enjoy watching that. A big part of pair performance is the chemistry between the male and female skaters, with same gender pairs, they can only do stunts like people do in a circus.

Well, you don't need romantic chemistry to be a successful pair - just look at Duhamel/Radford. And who says only two people of different genders can have chemistry? Or that they can only do stunts?

And why do we have two threads going on the same subject? :confused:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
And why do we have two threads going on the same subject? :confused:
I think one is about which skaters you'd like to see pair together (in your fantasies, kinda like the "Tolkien on ice" thread). While this one is examining its plausibility/feasibility in reality.

salchowx4

On the Ice
When it comes to sport, men and women are different. That is the reason that even in this modern era we don't mix the sexes in singles and that applies to this pairs idea as well. In order to even work as a fair competitive sport, you'd have to create three different categories: man/woman, woman/woman, and man/man. I don't see those being added to elite level competition anytime soon. Just too much time and expense.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
When it comes to sport, men and women are different. That is the reason that even in this modern era we don't mix the sexes in singles and that applies to this pairs idea as well. In order to even work as a fair competitive sport, you'd have to create three different categories: man/woman, woman/woman, and man/man. I don't see those being added to elite level competition anytime soon. Just too much time and expense.

Would each possible pair have to be a distinct competition and discipline? I don't think so. The male/male pair isn't necessarily more advantageous nor the female/female pair at an unfair advantage. What's really important is the difference in weight/build between the two partners. The more equal the height and build the more difficult it becomes. However, such differences still exist even within the same gender.

peg

Medalist
Well, you don't need romantic chemistry to be a successful pair - just look at Duhamel/Radford. And who says only two people of different genders can have chemistry? Or that they can only do stunts?
Maybe Radford should skate with someone he has more chemistry with. ;)