Returning Adult in Jackson Freestyle and Need More Support | Golden Skate

Returning Adult in Jackson Freestyle and Need More Support

skatedate1990

Spectator
Hello,

I’ve scoured the internet to my best ability trying to find someone in a situation like me but I’m now hoping for some pointed advice on Jackson boots. I skated for a few years as a kid and quit in my early teens at around the ISI Freestyle 2-3 level. I am now in my early 30s and in recent years, took up roller skating and returned to ice this past Spring. I’m about 180 lbs (81.5 kg) and 5’2” (157 cm) and currently skating on Jackson freestyles. I hated the blade that came with the kit so after a couple months I swapped it for a Coronation Ace. I LOVE the blade and am very happy I made the decision.

Currently, I am ISI gamma/delta and happily focusing on relearning a solid basic skills foundation. I am quite ahead of the class and rapidly learning, so I think I will probably fly through and start working on jumps and spins pretty quickly. I’ve found that my Freestyle boot is not giving me enough support in turns and on edges, and I definitely don’t feel comfortable jumping in them. They were fantastic in the beginning but I suspect they are beginning to break down now.

I have a very wide forefoot and more narrow heel, I wear a wide fit boot and have struggled with heel slippage. I suspect the boot is maybe a half size too big as well, though with pads I was able to minimize the heel lifting some. I know I need a custom down the line and am very set on Harlick (I’m in Northern California), but they have a year long wait for production and I need boots pretty quickly. I’m debating between the Jackson Debut and Premiere and am unsure which is more appropriate for someone of my stature and skill. I skate about 5 hours a week and I’ll add that though I am not actively trying to lose weight, I probably have lost some and will continue to just from how active I’ve been. My how is that this next boot lasts me 1-2 years until I can get a custom boot.

I know that I should see a fitter and expect someone to advise that. The pro shop at my rink, while lovely, doesn’t seem to have figure skating expertise; I frequently see them fitting adults boots that are not stiff enough, so I don’t really trust they understand the needs for an adult are different. I very much appreciate any advice and thank anyone that responds for their time! :)

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello,

I’ve scoured the internet to my best ability trying to find someone in a situation like me but I’m now hoping for some pointed advice on Jackson boots. I skated for a few years as a kid and quit in my early teens at around the ISI Freestyle 2-3 level. I am now in my early 30s and in recent years, took up roller skating and returned to ice this past Spring. I’m about 180 lbs (81.5 kg) and 5’2” (157 cm) and currently skating on Jackson freestyles. I hated the blade that came with the kit so after a couple months I swapped it for a Coronation Ace. I LOVE the blade and am very happy I made the decision.

Currently, I am ISI gamma/delta and happily focusing on relearning a solid basic skills foundation. I am quite ahead of the class and rapidly learning, so I think I will probably fly through and start working on jumps and spins pretty quickly. I’ve found that my Freestyle boot is not giving me enough support in turns and on edges, and I definitely don’t feel comfortable jumping in them. They were fantastic in the beginning but I suspect they are beginning to break down now.

I have a very wide forefoot and more narrow heel, I wear a wide fit boot and have struggled with heel slippage. I suspect the boot is maybe a half size too big as well, thigh with pads I was able to minimize the heel lifting some. I know I need a custom down the line and am very set on Harlick (I’m in Northern California), but they have a year long wait for production and I need boots pretty quickly. I’m debating between the Jackson Debut and Premiere and am unsure which is more appropriate for someone of my stature and skill. I skate about 5 hours a week and I’ll add that though I am not actively trying to lose weight, I probably have lost some and will continue to just from how active I’ve been. My how is that this next boot lasts me 1-2 years until I can get a custom boot.

I know that I should see a fitter and expect someone to advise that. The pro shop at my rink, while lovely, doesn’t seem to have figure skating expertise; I frequently see them fitting adults boots that are not stiff enough, so I don’t really trust they understand the needs for an adult are different. I very much appreciate any advice and thank anyone that responds for their time! :)
HI and welcome. You definitely need a pro fitter and one that knows what they are doing. If you can let us know where in N Cal you are, we can suggest proper fitter. You are definitely not in a stiff enough boot with your stats and should have never actually been in that boot.
My suggestion would be a Jackson Synergy Elite or Synergy Pro, the latter with the custom stiffness of 65 instead of 75.
Would love to know why you are set on a Harlick custom when the time comes? Harlicks aren't known to be great for wide feet.

skatedate1990

Spectator
HI and welcome. You definitely need a pro fitter and one that knows what they are doing. If you can let us know where in N Cal you are, we can suggest proper fitter. You are definitely not in a stiff enough boot with your stats and should have never actually been in that boot.
My suggestion would be a Jackson Synergy Elite or Synergy Pro, the latter with the custom stiffness of 65 instead of 75.
Would love to know why you are set on a Harlick custom when the time comes? Harlicks aren't known to be great for wide feet.
Thank you so much for your reply! I’m in the Sacramento area. I was interested in Harlick for the following reasons: 1) I learned to ice skate, and had been rollerskating, in a more traditional style boot and I like both the look and feel of them, 2) I get a lot of foot pain and know I need a full custom ideally. This is largely due to my very wide forefoot. Harlick’s accessibility from my location and reputation make me feel like I can trust them to be honest about my needs and help me create a fit (and orthotic) that is right for me 3) I know it seems silly, but I like the idea of supporting a local business.

I had written off Harlick before because of my wide feet until I learned about their X-line toe box, which is rounded and more accommodating for feet shape like mine. Most people in my are skate on Harlicks, I think because we don’t really have highly experienced fitters the way other regions do (at least that I’m aware of).

I should mention I’m a woman if that’s of any help.

Last edited:

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hello,

We went yesterday to our fitter and picked up my skater's new custom pair of Jackson Premieres (customized in leather with additional achilles padding, combination C/A width and some other minor alterations to the stock version). Time from order to delivery was about 14 weeks due to unavoidable circumstances, standard full custom delivery is about 10 weeks. They are about the most "traditional" looking boots you're ever going to see, apart from the crystals on the backstay.

All that said, you could probably get everything you need in a Jackson Rapid Custom boot for much less and much quicker. They will accommodate split widths (within reasonable splits, extreme splits would likely be full custom, but I know they do a C ball/A heel without question). I think the Synergy boots IC3 mentioned are around $600 with a small ($50 or so) additional fee for each RC adjustment. The stiffer options they offer in that boot are at no additional charge. Delivery is probably running about 6 weeks. Yes, you do need a good fitter to order RC or full custom, and be aware that once you get the proper size that CA blade may no longer fit and you'll need to buy another one.

As far as Harlick, and I don't want to get into specifics, but lets just say that their promised delivery date is a fiction and they are asking customers for additional funds for delivery well after the original promised date. They have one person making boots and he makes 2 a day. My skater went to Harlick years ago for a fitting and with her wide foot Harlick was not the best choice, even the X line model. The boots we picked up yesterday are her 10th pair of Jacksons, including an RC pair of Premieres and this now her second full custom. They fit flawlessly and she was in them for 2 hours this morning without any issues or break in whatsoever.

Best of luck in your quest.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello,

We went yesterday to our fitter and picked up my skater's new custom pair of Jackson Premieres (customized in leather with additional achilles padding, combination C/A width and some other minor alterations to the stock version). Time from order to delivery was about 14 weeks due to unavoidable circumstances, standard full custom delivery is about 10 weeks. They are about the most "traditional" looking boots you're ever going to see, apart from the crystals on the backstay.

All that said, you could probably get everything you need in a Jackson Rapid Custom boot for much less and much quicker. They will accommodate split widths (within reasonable splits, extreme splits would likely be full custom, but I know they do a C ball/A heel without question). I think the Synergy boots IC3 mentioned are around $600 with a small ($50 or so) additional fee for each RC adjustment. The stiffer options they offer in that boot are at no additional charge. Delivery is probably running about 6 weeks. Yes, you do need a good fitter to order RC or full custom, and be aware that once you get the proper size that CA blade may no longer fit and you'll need to buy another one.

As far as Harlick, and I don't want to get into specifics, but lets just say that their promised delivery date is a fiction and they are asking customers for additional funds for delivery well after the original promised date. They have one person making boots and he makes 2 a day. My skater went to Harlick years ago for a fitting and with her wide foot Harlick was not the best choice, even the X line model. The boots we picked up yesterday are her 10th pair of Jacksons, including an RC pair of Premieres and this now her second full custom. They fit flawlessly and she was in them for 2 hours this morning without any issues or break in whatsoever.

Best of luck in your quest.
@Sibelius Are you able to suggest a good fitter for the OP? I figured you would know better about that area. TIA! :)

Sibelius

On the Ice
@Sibelius Are you able to suggest a good fitter for the OP? I figured you would know better about that area. TIA! :)
Well, as far as Sacramento there isn't much. My guess is the OP's home rink is Skatetown in Roseville. I have no real experience with them, but I did exchange some emails with the pro shop manager there (Brett Slavensky) awhile back. In answering my questions he seemed to know what he was talking about re boot fittings. I've discovered that as far as pro shops in rinks are concerned there is at most ONE competent fitter/sharpener, usually the manager who isn't always available. I guess OP could start there, I know they are a Jackson authorized dealer and MAY have the Jackson scanner available (our fitter doesn't have or use it) Don't feel pushed though if they aren't giving you a proper fitting, including tracings, complete foot measurements including circumference, width and length of each foot. It's so much more than answering, "what's your street shoe size?" and then picking something off the shelf. I know that they schedule fitting appointments, and that's usually a good sign.

Otherwise you will need to travel, and the best destination you are going to find in the SF Bay Area is George and Aaron Spiteri at A & G Skate Shop in South San Francisco. We've bought 4 pairs of Jacksons there including a stock "wide" Debut, a RC Premiere and now 2 full custom Premieres. He also fits Sp-Teri (he was the former owner of that Co. before recently selling it to some folks in Tennessee), Riedell, and now Aura. They treat us well, and have been fitting boots for decades. We went to them immediately after our visit to Harlick and it was worlds different. George didn't start off fitting us for customs, but gave my skater what she needed at the time for her skill level. They know what they're doing, but can be a little conservative in recommending stiffnesses, but will give you what you want in the end. They are also the only sharpeners my skater will let touch her blades, and that costs me a fortune in gas and sharpening fees every 4 or 6 weeks!

Here is their contact information, no web presence currently (did I say old school) and it can be tough to get them on the phone directly since there's usually only one of them in at a time. George comes in by mid afternoon, he's supposed to be "retired", and Aaron visits rinks in the area (unfortunately not ours) to do sharpenings several times a week, but leave a message and they'll get back to you:

A&G Skate Shop
90 South Spruce Ave.
Unit R
So. San Francisco, CA 94080
650-871-1715