Riedell skates too big | Golden Skate

Riedell skates too big

mamad3

Spectator
Hi! I’m a 33 year old mom of four that used to skate competitively from age 6-age 14 or so. (I was doing double jump combos not long before I quit.)
We took our kids skating at our local rink and I was quickly reminded how much I love being on the ice (although the rental skates were just AWFUL.)
I decided to buy a pair of skates for myself to go once or twice a week or so. I diligently measured my feet using riedell’s measurement guides and came out with a size 7 wide. (I got Riedell diamond 33/133’s because I can’t invent a lot right now.)
I received them today and my heels move around and I am able to scooch my feet towards the front a bit. This is so frustrating to me because I thought I had measured them so well. Is there a way to make them work? The width seemed fine. But I know they’re supposed to be snug right? My dad always made sure I had good fitting skates back in the day. Any advice or suggestions? Would I be able to skate in these if I’m not doing jumps? Just spinning/foot work?

mamad3

Spectator
Can they be returned?
I believe so because they aren’t custom and just a stock boot/blade. I’ve was reading and researching all evening and I’m thinking of exchanging for Jackson freestyle fusions - they cost a bit more but I read they have a bigger toe box and narrower heel.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I diligently measured my feet using riedell’s measurement guides and came out with a size 7 wide. (I got Riedell diamond 33/133’s because I can’t invent a lot right now.)

It's good that you're following specific boot manufacturer's measuring guidelines. But be aware that there is some skill and practice involved in taking measurements correctly. In particular, you don't want to measure your own feet; results will be skewed. Someone else (preferably an experienced fitter) should take the measurements.

I believe so because they aren’t custom and just a stock boot/blade. I’ve was reading and researching all evening and I’m thinking of exchanging for Jackson freestyle fusions - they cost a bit more but I read they have a bigger toe box and narrower heel.

Yes, you should return them; though you might have to eat the cost of return shipping and/or a restocking fee. Different manufacturers (and even different lines under a single manufacturer) use different lasts (foot forms) for their boots. At this point you don't even know which brands/models are appropriate for you. So if there is a competent fitter that deals with different brands accessible to you, you should go to them. If you let us know your city and country, there are people on this forum from all over who can point you to the best options. Good Luck!

mamad3

Spectator
Went and got fitted and ended up in Jackson freestyle fusions. I’ve only ever worn Riedell and it was wild to feel the difference! Glad I didn’t settle.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Went and got fitted and ended up in Jackson freestyle fusions. I’ve only ever worn Riedell and it was wild to feel the difference! Glad I didn’t settle.
Happy to hear the good news! I know how you feel. I skated with Riedells for many years (before Jacksons existed). After a long break from skating, I switched to Jacksons, and wow (this of course will depend on a particular skater's feet).