Robin Wagner's Comments on Sasha Fluff Piece | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Robin Wagner's Comments on Sasha Fluff Piece

76olympics

On the Ice
I thought it was unprofessional and rather immature for Robin Wagner to speak as she did. Changing coaches is not that unusual; it didn't work out. Sasha handled this break with more savoir-faire than the coach. John Nicks doesn't strike me as the type to be "hurt" over Sasha's move. Robin, on the other hand, always struck me as a little too "best friend-ish" in an almost teenage fashion. The interaction in public with Sarah was kind've cute and kind've excessive, I thought.

ambersoeters

Spectator
robin

Yeah, it was tacky last year when she started doing fluff pieces about the split. To keep blabbing during the Olympics is just wrong.

Kirkbiggestfan

Rinkside
They interviewed her when she was running out of her ADD medications!
Sorry if I sound very rude, but I am sure that that is part of the problem with Robin!

Peggy

On the Ice
Robin is totally unprofessional to talk about any student that way. I would never want her to coach my child no matter what. Robin has no children so she attaches herself to her students in a very unbecoming way. I think she needs them more than they need her.

Now we know what was going on in Sasha's family life during that time so I think it was very mature for Sasha, her Mom and sister to head home where their support system is. Some things are more important than skating coaches.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I've never been a Robin Wagner fan. She just comes off freaky!

I remember at 2004 nats when Sasha had just been with her a few weeks. Robin was talktalktalking all the time to her at the boards, during practice, during the event. Blah blah blah yakety yak yak. How could you have that much to say to someone you've only been working with for a few weeks? You're not going to fix or change anything in that amount of time.... She just seemed weird.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
sk8fanconvert said:
I've never been a Robin Wagner fan. She just comes off freaky!

I remember at 2004 nats when Sasha had just been with her a few weeks. Robin was talktalktalking all the time to her at the boards, during practice, during the event. Blah blah blah yakety yak yak. How could you have that much to say to someone you've only been working with for a few weeks? You're not going to fix or change anything in that amount of time.... She just seemed weird.

I would have been unable to train under a coach like Wagner. I'm not the kind that likes to be touched a whole lot and Robin is a bit too touchy/feely for me. Too emotional like she's going to jump up and down like a teenager, or cry. I don't know but her style makes me very uncomfortable. I prefer someone like Mr. Carroll or Mr. Nicks. Friendly but with a professional distance.

Last edited:

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
ladysarahchatto said:
I would have been unable to train under a coach like Wagner. I'm not the kind that likes to be touched a whole lot and Robin is a bit too touchy/feely for me. Too emotional like she's going to jump up and down like a teenager, or cry. I don't know but her style makes me very uncomfortable. I prefer someone like Mr. Carroll or Mr. NIcks. Friendly but with a professional distance.
Right. No sense of boundaries whatsoever. I think Sasha gravitated to her because she was going from extreme to extreme. Tarasova's approach (so I've heard) is a big coaching organization with lots of assistant coaches and lots of students. Sasha wanted more individual attention, so she went to Wagner. Then she realized there's such a thing as too much individual attention (I think they call it stalking).

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
TT is hardly an example of someone who has any distance from her students. At one point she had half a dozen students living with with her in Connecticut (when asked why Griazev was living with her, she said - but he's just a boy, he can't live alone)! In Russia, it was often even more dramatic - she and her husband would sometimes both her students and his (piano music) students sleeping at their appartment.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
TT is hardly an example of someone who has any distance from her students. At one point she had half a dozen students living with with her in Connecticut (when asked why Griazev was living with her, she said - but he's just a boy, he can't live alone)! In Russia, it was often even more dramatic - she and her husband would sometimes both her students and his (piano music) students sleeping at their appartment.

The Russian students often don't come from family's with resources like Americans. It could be for economic reasons that they lived with TT. Sasha didn't at any point did she? I can't remember. On the other hand I think I read she stayed with Robin for a time.

soogar

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
During the fluff piece on Sasha Cohen, Robin Wagner was shown saying she while she feels a skater needs to feel comfortable with her coach, OTOH a skater must be committed to do what her coaches say, that once a skater chooses a coach she has a obligation to stay with that coach, etc. [My paraphrasing.]

Comments?

Rgirl

My thoughts are that Robin is just riding on what's left of her 15 minutes of fame by constantly rehashing Sasha's training habits. While I agree with Robin, it's been over a year (or a year) and she needs to move on. Sasha has already moved on.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
ladysarahchatto said:
The Russian students often don't come from family's with resources like Americans. It could be for economic reasons that they lived with TT. Sasha didn't at any point did she? I can't remember. On the other hand I think I read she stayed with Robin for a time.
No, I don't think Sasha did - but then again she moved to CT with her mom.

Not all Russian coaches are the same. The ones that do stand out as the very "mothering" ones are TT and the Velikovs.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Ptichka said:
No, I don't think Sasha did - but then again she moved to CT with her mom.

Not all Russian coaches are the same. The ones that do stand out as the very "mothering" ones are TT and the Velikovs.
Yes, I think Sasha DID live with Wagner for a short time.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
TT is a typiccal example of Grand (great) Mom.