Scott Peterson Double MurderTrial | Golden Skate

Scott Peterson Double MurderTrial

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Is anyone out there following this trial?
I personally believe this quy killed his wife and son, who else could have done it?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Yep.....because this happened about a hundred miles from where I live, the news is constantly flooded with updates. I think he probably did it, but if the jury has the least bit doubt, they have to either acquit or declare a "hung jury". There seems to be problems brewing as I type this..................42

John King

Final Flight
I like Jay Leno's comment:"I won't believe he's guilty until he's been acquitted in a California court!" :rofl:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Jay's funny comments often hit home with a bit of truth. However, I would rather acquite because I wasn't sure, then to convict an innocent person......42

I really don't understand prosecutors in high profile cases. They lose the case.

I thought OJ did it but if I were on the jury I would have voted not guilty. I followed that case every day on Court TV, and Marsha Clark got so much credit for botching up the case. The media made her a star for losing the case, You figure. And OJ walked.

Similarly with this guy. No evidence whatsoever, and no discernable motive. Just speculation throughout.

Joe

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
No evidence whatsoever, and no discernable motive.
No physical evidence, except for the hair in the pliers. What there is is circumstantial evidence and in my opinion motive. Placing himself at the scene of the crime, fishing at the same spot the bodies washed up, is a pretty hard fact to ignore. And the fact that he changed his appearance, had thousands of $$, had a survival kit, and was close the the Mexican border sounds very suspicious to me. Lying, lying, lying to everyone. Movtive? Money, money, money. He was about to become a father and the reality sunk in that this is not the life style he wanted. To expensive to get a divorce, have to pay alimony and now child support. Easier to get rid of the problem. Just my opinion.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think there was motive either. I think she found out about Amber and they got into a fight and something happened. I don't think he ever meant to kill her, but he's certainly not going to say he had anything to do with it.

BOTH sides had SUCKY cases... Mark Geragos did not live up to even his own hype much less the media's and the prosecuters were so unorganized... it wasn't even funny...

Do I think he will be convicted? Maybe, but not the capitol murder charge... if anything it'll be the lesser charge, which I hate... the guy deserves to rot forever (or hey I'm for capitol punishment so no problems with CA's death penalty laws) not be able to get out when the court feels he's *ready*

I think we will see a hung jury or a butt load of appeals and another case....

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'm sure Amber wasn't the only one she found out about.

How about the boat? That was purchased a few weeks before. Did he purchase the boat in order to carry out a plan to get rid of the body. Or was the boat purchase to actually do some fishing. Did he accidentally kill her and then decide at the last minute to use the boat to get rid of the body?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the boat was a planned purchase... maybe to woo Amber into believeing him even further about his supposed rich lifestyle (even though the boat to ME, being an Alaskan, is nothing short of a little tub toy lol) the prosecution couldn't prove to me(and neither can court TV's 24/7 coverage of the trial) that it was part of an evil plot.

As far as I know Laci knew about one of his other affairs, and it was right after they began married life... I think I read that in an People Magazine article(it came from her mom IIRC) and he promised to stop etc etc etc...

I think he wanted to live that double life... and maybe he was more infattuated with Amber... he certainly seemed to care for both at times, but with him who knows what he was thinking...

I still think it was one of those killed her first in the heat of the moment and planned the cover-up after it was done...

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Verdict

Guilty of 1 count of First Degree Murder of Laci. Guilty of 1 count of Second Degree Murder of the baby.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
That was a shock! I am surprised. I think he probably did the deed, but to convict without a confession, eye witness, cause of death, or a weapon, is puzzling...........42

show 42 said:
That was a shock! I am surprised. I think he probably did the deed, but to convict without a confession, eye witness, cause of death, or a weapon, is puzzling...........42

ITA. The guy was guilty ok but that jury sucked up the circumstances of the media. And they do read the media. Sequestered jury have ways of finding things out.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they already dismissed 3 jurors on account that they were reading the media so I don't know if they really used that...

I think Scott did himself in with his actions after Laci was reported missing...that and the emotional level...

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I've got to tell you about the most amazing thing that happened today. I was in a busy restaurant waiting to be seated for lunch. There is a bar area with a TV that we in the waiting area as well as all the seated patrons in the immediate vicinity could all clearly see. Suddenly, they announced the verdict, and there was the most deafening applause and chorus of "YAY!"s that you can imagine! And here it appeared that no one was paying any attention to the TV, but obviously they were. It was incredible. I think that a lot of people thought that this would be OJ revisited and justice would not be served for these two dead innocents and were very pleased that this was not the case.

There was a lot of talk about in the media about "lack of justice" in high-profile cases. But according to Court TV, a non-profit group in Modesto is dedicated to inviting the media to it's big murder, kidnapping, etc. cases. They solicit donations to help them secure contacts in the media and when Modesto calls, the media come running.

Also according to Court TV, the original jury foreman was either very detail-oriented or very anal, depending on your POV. He was replaced with a jury foreman who people close to the trial described as someone barely took any notes, versus the first foreman who had 19 notebooks full of notes. I think this at least shows two very different methods in thought process and analytical approach.

Also the first regular juror who was dismissed admitted that she had consulted the Internet to research something she'd had a knee-jerk reaction to. She said she was voting for first degree murder for Peterson anyway, so her dismissal apparently would have made no difference in the final outcome.

So it looks as if the first 33 hours of deliberation were held up by the original jury foreman. When the new foreman and new juror were put in place, the verdict was made in six hours. Now the question comes down to the grounds the judge used for dismissal and whether or not they'll hold up on appeal.

IMO, this was a common sense case--no smoking gun, no blood, fingerprints, etc. To me, the things I couldn't get past were Scott Peterson lying to beat the band to his mistress on tape; the curious coincidence that they found the bodies of Laci and Connor in the same place Scott said he'd gone fishing on Christmas Eve; and finding Peterson 15 miles from the Mexican border with died hair, a goatee, and $15,000 in cash about six weeks after Laci's disappearance.

As they say, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. :cool:
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh but he was just going for a new look and the money was a loan from his dad to go golfing ;) I can't see how anyone would think he was running from something... poor guy is *so* mis-understood!