Seeing skaters live | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Seeing skaters live

As I've said before and I would like to say it again. It appears to me that watching a competition LIVE and wathing one on TV are two different views.

The major difference is looking at the Whole Package. When you see a skater LIVE, you see the entire arena and the skating surface is huge. Can that skater really cover that ice?; can that skater draw you into his/her program? Few can, imo.

When you see a skater on TV, you are fortunate enough to follow that camera and the tricks look bigger than life, the extensions are higher, the spins are faster, etc., but little is shown of the skater in relation to the arena.

I actually llike both views but for me they are very different. The biggest difference to name a skater is Yuka Sato. Who knew she could fly around the arena? she does when you see her LIVE.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
*I like Plushenko better live than I do on TV. He has such a nice presence live but I don't get that from the TV performances.

Kwanfan.........totally agree. He just blew me away when I saw him skate during a COI performance.

Also......speed, speed, speed......it's unbelievable until you see skaters live....42

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Show-Thanx for your comment and I get to agree with you now! :D I am in total agreement that you don't really get a sense of the skaters speed until you see them live. Its crazy! They are absolutely FLYING around that ice. Yuka and Todd Eldredge are two skaters that come to my mind with their effortless speed. You really feel it from those on ice seats too. Its almost like they are going to fly off the ice and into your lap (which, if its the right guy skater, wouldn't really bother me too much, but I digress.....LOL :laugh: ). You really can see how much of the ice that they cover as well which really distinguishes the merely good skaters with the great skaters. :D

"When she is on the ice, you can't take your eyes off her." I completely agree with that statement as well. Michelle just has that 'it' quality that makes you watch her. I noticed that in Atlanta as well. She would be on ice with five other skaters and I would be trying to watch it all but I kept going right back to her. She draws you in. :D

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
LOL, Kwanfan1212, I was glued to Michelle the entire warm-up in Atlanta. I was awe struck! And what a terrific warm-up it was! She was rock solid on everything she attempted.

Joe,

I completely agree with you about the live experience and the ice surface. It is such a large area in person and so few of the skaters that I saw at Nationals actually utilized the full rink. So, it was wonderful to see the top six take the ice and show exactly why it is they were the top six (for various reasons of course), all of them had great ice coverage. Michelle filled the entire rink!