Shoma's message to Daisuke's retirement , next "Daisuke" is coming? | Golden Skate

Shoma's message to Daisuke's retirement , next "Daisuke" is coming?

longjiajia811

Rinkside
Shoma's message to Daisuke's retirement , next "Daisuke" is coming?

Below's the message from his facebook:
■宇野選手のメッセージ

怪我を乗り越えてメダルを取ったバンクーバー五輪の演技に感動して、結果も良くて。その後の進退について心配したけれど、のちに現役続行を知って、本当に嬉しかったです。

もっと側で見ていたいと願っていたので、僕も頑張って近づかなきゃと励みになりました。
Does he look up to Daisuke? I feel he bears something in Dai's quanlity , the rhythm and smoothness especially.
So, will he be the next "Daisuke" , even better ??

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Below's the message from his facebook:
■宇野選手のメッセージ

怪我を乗り越えてメダルを取ったバンクーバー五輪の演技に感動して、結果も良くて。その後の進退について心配したけれど、のちに現役続行を知って、本当に嬉しかったです。

もっと側で見ていたいと願っていたので、僕も頑張って近づかなきゃと励みになりました。
Does he look up to Daisuke? I feel he bears something in Dai's quanlity , the rhythm and smoothness especially.
So, will he be the next "Daisuke" , even better ??

Yes, Shoma has been a Dai-fan ever since he started. You can tell by the way he skates and he says so quite often.
I want him to develop his style a bit more so it's not too much like Daisuke, but copying Daisuke is a good place to start. From there he can build up his own style.

unico

Final Flight
He does greatly look up to Takahashi and he's clearly inspired by his style, but I would rather he be the only Shouma Uno than the "next" anyone.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Can anyone please translate what he said? All I understand is that he was impressed by the way Daisuke overcame his injuries and performed great programs in Vancouver, and that he was happy he continued his career after 2010. Now he feels sad about his departure from competitions. Is this correct?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The last line says that he wants to continue to see Daiskue close by, so he feels encouraged to keep working hard.

longjiajia811

Rinkside
right.
Can anyone please translate what he said? All I understand is that he was impressed by the way Daisuke overcame his injuries and performed great programs in Vancouver, and that he was happy he continued his career after 2010. Now he feels sad about his departure from competitions. Is this correct?

ioanna

Record Breaker
The last line says that he wants to continue to see Daiskue close by, so he feels encouraged to keep working hard.
Thank you for translating the last part.

I am thrilled to see a lot of people calling Shoma "the next Daisuke Takahashi" and I hope he becomes just that, but not for having a similar skating style, but by making a great impact on the audience and achieving the same (if not more) results as Daisuke.

While at first glance it may seem like he is copying Daisuke, if you watch Shoma's skating carefully you will see he has already developed his personal style, different from the one of his much esteemed senior.

longjiajia811

Rinkside
Thank you for translating the last part.

I am thrilled to see a lot of people calling Shoma "the next Daisuke Takahashi" and I hope he becomes just that, but not for having a similar skating style, but by making a great impact on the audience and achieving the same (if not more) results as Daisuke.

While at first glance it may seem like he is copying Daisuke, if you watch Shoma's skating carefully you will see he has already developed his personal style, different from the one of his much esteemed senior.
Glad , I am not the only one who feel this way. best for shoma in the coming crucial years !

jimeonji

Final Flight
Calling anyone the next Daisuke Takahashi is a lot to live up to, isn't it? I agree with the previous posters - I already see him skate with his own distinct style even at his young age. There are some similarities, yes, but everyone is influenced by others, especially by those they admire. With the right programs, Shoma may just have the potential to become great, though I am hesitant to make such predictions so early on in Shoma's career.

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
There's actually more to his Facebook message after the cut:

一緒に出場した全日本選手権では、ファンの一人として感動を受けました。凄すぎで表現も別次元なので、圧倒されました。

高橋選手が引退してしまう事に、まだ…実感が無いと言うか、今は何とも言えません。

一ファンとして、ただ、寂しい気持ちで一杯です。

Here is my poor attempt in translating it:
"As a fan, I was impressed when we appeared at Nationals together. His performance was great and his expression was like from another dimension. I was overwhelmed.
His retirement hasn't really sunk in so I can't say anything.
But as a fan, I am feeling very lonely/empty."

Sometimes I wonder if Dai has any idea how much impact he has.

Anyhow, I can see Dai in Shoma, but at the same time, it's clear that Shoma has his own style when he skates. I'm excited to see how he will improve as the years go by and hope to see him on the podium in Pyeongchang. :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
chasingpolaris, thank you for translating. Shoma sounds like the rest of us Daisuke fans, lonely and empty after his departure from competitive skating. I also hope he will remain close to his former younger team mates and support them in their journey.

As for Shoma, he literally grew up looking up to Daisuke and I understand his need of having his senior close by.
http://shoma-uno.tumblr.com/post/96984695388

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He won't be able to replace Daisuke for me...maybe in 5 years I'll feel differently, I guess, but I think the kind of charisma Dai has doesn't come along too often & I don't get that from Shoma, certainly not at this age. He's definitely a talented skater, but it's not possible for him to be mature or sexy in the way Dai is able to be.

Judging by the JGP, at least a couple of the other young Japanese skaters are strongly influenced by Dai as well. I don't blame them for looking up to him, but it just isn't the same...like cubic zirconium.

unico

Final Flight
I think what made Takahashi so special is not only the quality of his skating and artistry, but that he was a pioneer in so many respects for Japanese men's figure skating. First Olympic medalist, first GPF winner, first World champion... all the while skating programs with his heart. In that way, I don't think anyone can ever become the "next" him even if they display comparable artistry, because he was the trailblazer.