Skaters allege sexual assault | Golden Skate

Skaters allege sexual assault

southwest wind

Rinkside
Skaters allege sexual assault, Toronto Globe and Mail. Feb 3rd.

This serious stuff and is from our "National Newspaper", not a local rag. I am not certain how long the link will be active. If I did not get it in right, go to globeandmail.com and search for "skating" and go down six articles.

The details in the article are somewhat more graphic...amazingly for Toronto the good in conservative ole' Ontario.

I am glad to see that the skaters in question were gutsy enough to press charges.

"Two Canadian figure skaters say they were drugged and sexually assaulted by a man they befriended who bragged that he managed a multimillion-dollar company.The two skaters -- one female, one male -- say they have only fuzzy recollections of the events of July 12, 2001, after being given drinks they believe were laced with a drug, possibly ecstasy.

The names of the two alleged victims are protected by a publication ban that also bars any information that could identify them. The man and woman are both in their 20s. She no longer skates competitively, but he competes on a national level."
SWW

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040203.wutskater03/BNStory/National/?query=skating

Lynn226

On the Ice
This is horrible news. Given the amount of time that has elapsed, I hope that enough evidence can be uncovered to prosecute these alleged crimes. Unfortunately, "date rape" drugs are used far too often in many social circles.