Skating Lessons Questions | Golden Skate

Skating Lessons Questions

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
what are the first spins they teach you? My brother is taking lessons and he is so vague when he tells me anything and he says he's learning how to spin... so what are typically the first spins you learn?

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Well, I'm not taking formal lessons in freestyle, but when I wanted to learn a basic spin, another of my coach's students (who's an ISI instructor herself) showed me a very basic forward-entry two-footed spin, entered from a hockey glide. Then I pointed out I'm a lefty and she showed me it again only the other way round. ;) I think the first ones are usually just very, very basic two-foots. Still make you dizzy, though.

backspin

On the Ice
Yup, you learn a 2-foot spin first, & before that you learn a pivot--stick one toepick in the ice & pivot around it, which then becomes the start of the 2 foot spin. Once that's comfortable, you start doing a 2 foot spin and then pick up one foot to learn to spin on 1 foot. This is also where you learn the exit from the spin. Then you learn a 1-footed entrance from a stand-still, then you learn the standard entrance from back crossovers. It's a long process!

Glad to hear he's still enthusiastic about skating! :clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
julietvalcouer said:
Well, I'm not taking formal lessons in freestyle, but when I wanted to learn a basic spin, another of my coach's students (who's an ISI instructor herself) showed me a very basic forward-entry two-footed spin, entered from a hockey glide. Then I pointed out I'm a lefty and she showed me it again only the other way round. ;) I think the first ones are usually just very, very basic two-foots. Still make you dizzy, though.

thanks... Duane is all excited he's learning how not to get really dizzy and fall down :laugh:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Two foot spins are the first. Once you mastered the two foot then the one foot is taught.