RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Gold Tanith Belbin, Benjamin Agosto
Silver Melissa Gregory,Denis Petukhov
Bronze Loren Galler-Rabinowitz, David Mitchell

April

Rinkside
Yes

Congrats and no surprises, now Belbin and Agosta can focus on Worlds and medal. The field of ice dance is improving, and maybe the USA can be true contenders..

brenlynn

On the Ice
yep, definetly no surprises there! i definetly do think ice dancing in the US is on the rise!!

sk8m8

Final Flight
Had great seats behind the judges up 20 rows for this event. Good Grief, we need to take a look a developmental program for our ice dancers. What once was a barren and weak spot as far as depth in a dicipline has become a true deep pool of very polished talent. I was surprised and quite pleased at the overall dance skating done tonight. I don't think it's out of the questions for the US to seriously begin thinking about itself as a potential rival to the USSR and its pedigreed school of ice dance excellence.

Perhaps a better idea would be a developmental program for pairs. As has been said in other thread, the only consistant in pairs seems to be, "change partners and dance (or skate, as the case may be)" And what's more disheartening is the talent that is there seems to be mismatch. You have really finely developed men with comparitively weak parnter and the other way 'round, as well. I wish the USFSA held more workshops so pairs could seriously find "better matches" with better balance to help construct some World's worthy teams.

Just a note from the competition... It was good to see Justin Pakareck(sp?) competing again. His line was dead perfect. I always loved he and Jamie Silverstien's skating. He is an ice dancer extrodinaire. I hope his partner can rise to his talent and return him to the podium/

Ahh, a sigh of "all is as it should be" for the dance result--though of course I'm sad for Naomi and Peter. OTOH, I'm very happy to hear from Sk8m8 (Hiya!) that the US dance teams have some real depth to them and a future.

I also think Sk8m8's idea for more pairs workshops (and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt dance either) and in general more attention from the USFSA in both areas is warranted. Very interesting comment about many teams with mismatched partners. There simply has to be enough young US girls out there who have tried singles, are the right size, and simply haven't mastered the jumps who would make great pairs partners and same with the men. John Baldwin is a great example, and look how long it took him to finally even try pairs. (Nothing against John, BTW.) And if a great male ice dancer like Justin Pekarek can't find a comparable female partner in a country of 250 million, something just ain't right.

So Sk8m8, how do we get you on the USFSA governing board?:)
Rgirl

egskater0003

Rinkside
dance teams

Just a note from the competition... It was good to see Justin Pakareck(sp?) competing again. His line was dead perfect. I always loved he and Jamie Silverstien's skating. He is an ice dancer extrodinaire. I hope his partner can rise to his talent and return him to the podium/

I agree! I wish he and Jamie S. would have stayed together,theywere the next team in line until the split. What happened anyway? Yes Justin is fabulous as usual, but his partner is just not at his level of skating and doesn't make them shine when performing. You can tell she's very inexperienced and hasn't been ice dancing for too long. She's improved since last year, but there's nothing there as of now that makes you say "wow, what a great team." IMHO I just don't think she's as talanted as Justin and Jamie, she puts in good effort and if she continues skating, she'll improve, but for now, I don't really seem them moving up anywhere. Even though she's his girlfriend, if he ever wants to see himself rise to the top again, he needs to get a new partner or team up with Jamie again.:\

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Sk8m8.........I agree with your comments about pairs. I went to SOI in Fresno Wed. night, and was blown away by Ina and Zimmerman......what a first class act (is it too late to get them back?)...........42

Antilles

Medalist
I'm ecstatic for Tanith and Ben. I thought G&P did a really good job too. I am worried about Ben and his twizzles. He seems to have a lot of difficulty with those. I hope he does them well at Worlds.