Sports Broadcasting HOF honors Dick Button | Golden Skate

Sports Broadcasting HOF honors Dick Button

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Dick Button was inducted into the Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame on Dec 15.

His speech at the induction ceremony:

Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame 2015: Dick Button
Sports Video Group
Published on Dec 16, 2015
Next up was Dick Button, the definitive voice of figure skating for more than 50 years. During ABC’s coverage of figure-skating events in the 1960s, ’70s, and ’80s, he became the sport’s best-known analyst, mostly thanks to his frank, often caustic appraisal of skaters’ performances. Button was a two-time Olympic gold medalist, in 1948 and 1952, before entering the broadcast booth and changing the trajectory of figure skating on television.

This article has a link to the video of the full ceremony:

(BTW, Ted Turner was among the other 2015 inductees. Not too shabby.)

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He was the voice of figure skating for those of us who grew up with him, and a masterful voice at that. I can't imagine figure skating in the70s or 80s without him.

Congratulations, "Uncle" Dick.:hap10:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Long long long long long long long long long (uhm ok I'll stop now, but really it is long) OVERDUE.

noskates

Record Breaker
YUCK. I hated the Olympic coverage when he was commentating. I would also like to mention that in the 2014 Nats when they honored the US Olympic Gold Medalists, Dick could barely walk. He had to be helped out and looked extremely frail. Haven't heard much about him since then.

He is probably my least favorite commentator of all time - oh wait, I forgot about Peter Carruthers. I honestly turned the sound off, missed the music, when either of them was commentating. I'll never forget when Dick said a beautiful spiral is more important than a triple jump. Yes - in what universe?

karlowens2

On the Ice
More than any other commentator I can think of he said what he thought/felt. He was perfectly open about too immature skaters in the sport. But, he could share hgenuine excitement for an element beautifully done. Sorry he's no longer active.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So great to hear Dick's speech. He told it like it is, without notes. He is one of a kind.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
He reminds me of the professor I had for history of American music. One of those people who you could FEEL their passion for their subject and you knew they "knew" their stuff. You could just sit and listen to them talk for ever and ever and learn something knew every minute.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Uncle Dick! Well deserved.

While he could be a bit cruel sometimes and repetitive (talking about how the axel is the most dangerous jump), I grew up listening to him and Peggy and learned so much about skating from him. I even bought his book "Push Dick's Button" to hear more about his views on figure skating.

Sometimes I wish he'd come back and show Tara and Johnny how it's done but at 86, he seems to be enjoying retirement.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Congrats to Uncle Dick! Well deserved.

While he could be a bit cruel sometimes and repetitive (talking about how the axel is the most dangerous jump), I grew up listening to him and Peggy and learned so much about skating from him. I even bought his book "Push Dick's Button" to hear more about his views on figure skating.

Sometimes I wish he'd come back and show Tara and Johnny how it's done but at 86, he seems to be enjoying retirement.

It needs to be repeated, especially now since 3Lz+3T is worth a WHOLE HALF POINT more than 3A+2T now (and equal with 3F+3Lo, which is just incredible to me). Also since Scotty said in 2010 3Lz+3T is more difficult that 3A+2T because it's 6 rotations vs. 5.5. LOLOLOL

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I would also like to mention that in the 2014 Nats when they honored the US Olympic Gold Medalists, Dick could barely walk. He had to be helped out and looked extremely frail. ...

So it is esp. good news that Button now looks/sounds so great -- as is evident in the video of last week's speech, approx. two years after 2014 Nats.

He spoke for a full eleven minutes with no problem. Mental sharpness definitely intact. Physical vigor seemed fine too. :)

ETA, I forgot to tip my hat in the OP to @LynnRutherford, whose Dec 16 tweet led me to the article and video re DB's induction and speech.

Last edited: