Stiff boots | Golden Skate

Stiff boots

Sometimes elite skaters say that they weren't able to skate their best in a particular competition because they were breaking in a new pair of boots. Can't you break in a new pair during practices and still compete in your old comfortable boots in the meantime?

Mathman

Isabelle

Rinkside
Sometimes you can. If you do, you need to skate in your old skates at least a little before you compete! But sometimes skaters get new boots and use their old blades in which case your old boots are pretty much useless because they have no blades on them. Also it depends on how broken down your "comfy" skates are.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Can't you break in a new pair during practices and still compete in your old comfortable boots in the meantime?
Yes you could, but I would have to say that if you have bought new boots probably the old ones have seen better days. You do need to get use to the new boots. And switching in and out of the old boots to the new ones back to the old ones in my opinion wouldn't be a good idea. I wouldn't think of putting on my old pair of skates now that I am comfortable with my new ones.

Perry

Rinkside
A lot fo really good skates, though, don't take all that long to break in. I have Custom Klingbeil's and I was able to do a clean run-through of my program the day I got them...

backspin

On the Ice
I know some coaches who take away their students' old skates when they get new ones. Breaking in new skates can be such agony that you just have to go cold turkey--otherwise you'd never get the new ones broken in!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Perry said:
A lot fo really good skates, though, don't take all that long to break in. I have Custom Klingbeil's and I was able to do a clean run-through of my program the day I got them...

Perry, yours would be the exception rather than the norm. For the most part, there is a time of break in. You are lucky to have been able to do this on the first day.

Perry

Rinkside
Actually, every skater I've known who has used custom klingbeil's, and many of the top skaters use them, has had a week or less break-in time (keep in mind, that is a week of several hours a day, seven days a week practice). Some skaters have feet that fit different boots, and some of those boots have incredibly long break-in times, but if the skates are fitted correctly, if they're the right stiffness for the skater, and if the skater concentrates on breaking the boots in, the break-in time shouldn't be very long.

brinababy87

Rinkside
Well, it proably is more difficult for the elite skaters to break in their boots, because their boots were made to be very stiff to withstand many triple jumps. Not just anyone can get the most expensive boot out there--it would probably never break in for someone who doesn't do difficult jumps.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Glacierskater said:
Perry, yours would be the exception rather than the norm. For the most part, there is a time of break in. You are lucky to have been able to do this on the first day.

I'm with Perry, as far as the Klingbeils go. Mine are stock boots, and they were comfortable within a week (6 hours of skating). They've lasted me 2 years so far, although I really do need new ones now.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
It to me a good month to get back to skating normally after I got my new custom Klingbeil's, but my previous (and first pair) of boots were used and very broken down by the time I stopped using them. I also skated only about 3-4 hours a week at the time, so it took longer. It was my first break-in, and it was tough!!!

skatepixie

On the Ice
I was doing all my jumps in about 4 hours on the ice w/ my custom Harlicks. I actually had more difficulty with the change of blade (really crappy ones to Coro Ace) than to the stiff boot, but even that just took about a half hour's practice to get used to. Thats just singles, though.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
sk8er1964 said:
I'm with Perry, as far as the Klingbeils go. Mine are stock boots, and they were comfortable within a week (6 hours of skating). They've lasted me 2 years so far, although I really do need new ones now.

I would have to say the Kling's are the exception to the rule. I have never known any boot to break in "easily". If Kling's are a easy as you attest to, my trip to the shop in November will be will worth the airfare and expense to NYC.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Glacierskater said:
I have never known any boot to break in "easily". .
My beloved Gams did - I put them on, and, with one break for re-lacing as I'd done them too tight, skated for 2 hours very happily. I'd stocked up on blister dressings, foot cream, etc, and never needed them - and those boots look like living forever, although I've a feeling I'll need a new pair in a year or so.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
How long are these easy to break in boots lasting? Just curious. I have Teri's that are still like tanks after 2 years.

Perry

Rinkside
This is my first pair that's lasted longer than a year, but that's because I'd outgrown all of my previous pairs. I've had this pair since Feburary 2002, but I was off the ice essentially from July 2002 to March 2004, so I don't really know how good a measure that is. I've had friend, however, who've had Klingbeil's that lasted for a year and half to two years, skating 5 or more hours a day six days a week.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
I think my Gams must be at least six or seven years old now! I know the first pair of boots I had - Belatis - fell apart, and later I discovered they were several sizes too big for me! These Gams are lovely. And it's not as if I only skate once a week - minimum is 3 x/week, and this past couple of months I've been skating very nearly every day. (Am exhausted and need a rest, but have just to survive this week - next week is holiday, and we are trying to find practice-ice, as we have a competition on the Wednesday).

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Glacierskater said:
How long are these easy to break in boots lasting? Just curious. I have Teri's that are still like tanks after 2 years.

My Klingbeils have lasted 2 years, and they would still be good for a lower level adult skater. I'm working on doubles six days a week, so I give them a lot of abuse.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
sk8er1964 said:
My Klingbeils have lasted 2 years, and they would still be good for a lower level adult skater. I'm working on doubles six days a week, so I give them a lot of abuse.

I will be going to the Klingbeil factory sometime between 11-11-04 and 11-13-04. It will be very interesting to see how the do the measuring and how much better these will feel. My Teri's are so stiff that I can only get so far in a sit spin and then I am hindered by the stiffness. I hope that the new boots will be easier to flex in. We shall see...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Sometimes elite skaters say that they weren't able to skate their best in a particular competition because they were breaking in a new pair of boots. Can't you break in a new pair during practices and still compete in your old comfortable boots in the meantime?

Mathman

I remember a coach telling me old skate boots are like bedroom slippers. They get pretty darn comfortable! But one does not want to take the risk that they will adjust to their new skate boots by the time a competition roles around. It is better to keep wearing them and get used to them. Also, jumps and spins feel a little off for a bit until after a few practices. It also depends on the condition of the old pair; if they are shot then they are no use to the skater.

One way to break in new boots is to walk around your house in them for awhile - minus the blades of course!

GordonSk8erBoi

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
One way to break in new boots is to walk around your house in them for awhile - minus the blades of course!

I've read that one should NEVER walk around in your boots without blades mounted. They aren't designed for that. If you are going to walk around in them to help break them in, you should do so with blades mounted and guards on.