Success rate of Switching Partnerships in Pairs and Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Success rate of Switching Partnerships in Pairs and Ice Dance

mary01

Final Flight
I wonder if Mervin can rebound after splitting with Narumi
Or even the other way around

Time will tell, , it's always sad to see a good and successful pair split, but it seems like Mervin and his new partner is more likely to be successful then Narumi and her partner.

nimi

Medalist
Time will tell, , it's always sad to see a good and successful pair split, but it seems like Mervin and his new partner is more likely to be successful then Narumi and her partner.
Yeah, too bad that the Japanese citizenship requirements are so strict that Narumi/Mervin didn't have a chance of representing Japan together in Olys. I really liked them. In a away, the switch might have been more detrimental for Mervin's career, because it's very hard for him with his new partner to get a ticket to Worlds etc. when the Canadian field is so strong. Whereas Narumi and her inexperienced partner... Are they currently the ONLY senior pair in Japan?

I did feel pretty conflicted watching Narumi rejoice and fistpump after their Sochi SP because the pair got through their cautious 2twist, wonky throw3S and shaky lift without major errors and falls. Good for her for making it to Sochi and giving the best possible performance under the circumstances, but when you think of the skill level she and Mervin had reached together...

Last edited:

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Yeah, too bad that the Japanese citizenship requirements are so strict that Narumi/Mervin didn't have a chance of representing Japan together in Olys. I really liked them. In a away, the switch might have been more detrimental for Mervin's career, because it's very hard for him with his new partner to get a ticket to Worlds etc. when the Canadian field is so strong. Whereas Narumi and her inexperienced partner... Are they currently the ONLY senior pair in Japan?

I did feel pretty conflicted watching Narumi rejoice and fistpump after their Sochi SP because the pair got through their cautious 2twist, wonky throw3S and shaky lift without major errors and falls. Good for her for making it to Sochi and giving the best possible performance under the circumstances, but when you think of the skill level she and Mervin had reached together...

:( And the fact that it seemed so one sided (the split). We're all hypothesizing about the Japanese federation's intentions but even Mervin pointed to Narumi

nimi

Medalist
^ Well, the Japanese federation needed a pair for the Sochi team event... As for the citizenship issues, Narumi would have had to give up her Japanese citizenship in order to represent Canada with Mervin, and it's not certain she would have gotten the Canadian citizenship in time for Sochi. Also, there would've been at least a year or two before her federation would have released her, right? Meanwhile, they wouldn't have been eligible for international competitions, which would have hurt Narumi/Mervin's chances of proving themselves and making the Canadian Olympic team. Lots of would haves. I can see why she made her choice and I don't blame her, but it really sucks for Mervin.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Swapping partners worked well for Rodnina, who was dumped by Ulanov when they were world champions. It did not wotk well for Ulanov snd his new partner. Jenni Meno & Todd Sand did about as well as Todd did with Kuchiki. Kuchiki never found a worthy partner. Lloyd Eisler did well with both his partners. Ina did a bit better with Zimmerman than with Dunjeon.

In dance, Hubbell & Hubbell, Gilles & Donohue, and Crone & Poirier all split. H&D and G&P are doing well. Keiffer Hubbell retired. Samuelson never did find a good new partner.

Last edited: