Thank you | Golden Skate

Thank you

skateluvr

Record Breaker
for those kind enough to pray for me. I had misdiagnosed Shingles! ER missed it and though it is slowly better, my Neurologist, who is a tough lady, dxed in 2seconds. ER doc said it was hair follicle-itis! Wow. First doc didn't see the legions and i could't either til friday. It is recurring chicken pox as an adult, usually stress or another illness weakening you so the virus comes out and attacks your nerves. Too late for medication to make a difference but at least I know part of the picture now. Middle aged and elderly are prone to this-my mum has had it 3 times. It is so painful. I guess it is the age of self-diagnosis.:rolleye: My neurologist is my one smart doc. left it seems!

jcoates

Medalist
Glad to hear that you finally got an answer. There's nothing worse than not getting the care you need and being led to believe you don't know what you are talking about regarding your own body. My mom has been misdiagnosed for most the last 20 years. She's had hypothryoidism since her teens. Unfortunately, its symptoms have masked the extent and diagnosis of her other conditions. In addition, her rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes and kidney disease have thrown off test results which eventually revealed that she also has lupus. That took about 20 years to get right with docs saying she either did or did not have it for years. In the meantime, she was told by most family and friends other than me and my grandmother that she was seeking attention, making up her symptoms, or just psychosomatic. She lost a lot of confidence in herself due to that and got very little support. It was terrible.

Best wishes Skateluvr.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
oh, jcoates, it used to be that lupus was psychosomatic, and then with the tests, it took roughly 7 years for a woman to get a lupus dx when there were autoimmune tests I have read. When there are more than 3 conditions, and people are getting sicker with diabetes driving so many other issues, most doctors cannot deal. My "family" did the same to me. At least your mom was not betrayed by her mum(i know that horror) and her daughter. I did not get to have kids. Thanks for your best wishes. I pray your mumis not suffering a lot! Bless her heart and soul!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is a good place to remind people that there is a shingles vaccine.

If you had chickenpox, as you age you become more susceptible to shingles, a second outbreak of the chickenpox virus.

This year my insurance will cover the vaccine (last year it wouldn't)

I have a script and am going to get it done, for sure.

skateluvr, I'm glad to see you are sitting up and typing again.

I hope treatment for shingles has advanced as much as vaccines for it.

Good heavens, what a relief for you, skateluvr! Good for your neurologist. I'm thrilled that this means less pain for you in the future. Thanks for telling us.

And jcoates, amazing that your mother finally got a diagnosis. Lupus is very sneaky. It affects so many organs that I wonder whether her thyroid difficulties stem from it also. Certainly rheumatoid arthritis and even some kinds of diabetes are autoimmune illnesses like lupus, so there may be a connection underlying everything. I hope that treatments give her a better life. At least she has the satisfaction of knowing that it was not all "in her head," and that will surely be very liberating for her.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Doris, I heard there was a vaccine but I was like motor mouth with the neurologist. We have a huge difference about arachnoiditis and after 19 years she still doesn't change her mind. I see something new on my elbow, but I saw that a while back, it it itchy not excruciating. My pan dyes down around 6. I seem to kick out cortisol and be awake, hence my posts always being evening or am. Why did my doctor not mention the vaccine? She has blocked a wheelchair/more pca hours-n one is looking out for me, it is very scary.

I wonder why my mum was not offered the vac? I think last time was 6 years ago. I recall her having very bad ones is a bad place. They take serious ones on the face as it can blind the optic nerve! I am calling the on call and ask why and when some get vaccine others don't? I'm guessing Doris one must be clear of lesions. It is the stress I am in. I recall I had German measles return my frosh year (JJust had to have A's and private college was much more work than public HS). Also Epstein barr comes out under stress and is known as mono. Apparently shingles is very common. I am going to google it-just don't wanna scare myself.

But thanks for the reminder as I had forgotten the vaccine. Definitely get it if covered. I have been crying all afternoon and it abates at night. I do not know if that is particular to me and my nerves or if common. Well, did I miss the London opening? Gotta check our folder!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Part of the issue with shingles, IIRC, is stress. Sounds like a vicious cycle...

And I wouldn't totally rely on WebMD for medical advice, yes there are "bad doctors" out there, but a computer cannot diagnose you correctly either. :yes:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
yes, stress, it is all a vicious cycle Toni. My Neuro is gone on vacation it seems. My primary, oi vay, is giving me the anti=viral, which I can't get til tomorrow. They often give anti=-convulsants to folks as they are used to traeat nerve pain. Most docs are terrified to give opioids- they are losing their DEA portion of license left and right. People are suiciding. I have pain pills, at great cost, but they are very ineffective with shingles pain. I am going to research the vaccine more as I now react to stuff differently than the average Joe. I hope to find someone who will write my story- how doctors took a healthy, working niusy woman and destroyred me with a procedure. One thing leads to next.

Well, it is too bad we are all spread out. So many of you have great writing skills and computer skills. I can only appeal to God and his people wherever I may find them. I am feeling like Job, which is a story that never seemed remotely possible to me. I guess my Judeo-Christian faith is quite weak. No wonder.

THe vaccine is recommended for 50 and over and I am definitely "over." Anyone with chickenpox as a child can get this, and as Toni said, even healthy folks like my mom had 3 recurrences. Stress lowers your immune response and the virus comes out and attacks your nerve pathways. By yhe time you see the skin bubbles, you are already in pain. If you have done the virus research Doris please share here or in PM. The myelogram dye that was neurotoxic made me a "reactor" to previously benign substances. It is my body for 26 years, so the more I know the safer decision. Still wonder why Dr did not mention the vaccine to me....maybe I talked too much, oh well.

Well, I heading to the Oly folder to see what we all have to say. I wish I had a big screen as 32 inch is too small, dontcha think to get these ceremonies? I sell my, oops don't say it, lol, to be in London. I think we will see gymnastics this weekend. I hope I don't miss it. Excited but wishing it was Sochi for us all! Blessings, folks!