The "New Class" of Artists - Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The "New Class" of Artists - Ladies

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, it takes more than classic lines and postitions to be an artist. And actually sometimes, Zhang doesn't even have classic lines and positions.

Maybe that's because she's THIRTEEN YEARS OLD! She is a WONDERFUL skater, and for a girl her age she certainly is artistic. If she makes it through growth spurts and puberty without major impact, she may someday set a new standard for artistry.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The Hype Machine is kicking into high gear once again. Before long you'll have the press involved. And then we know what happens from there...expectations rise and fans set themselves up for potential disappointment. So far I'd say the only skater in recent years to live up to the hype is Kimmie Meissner.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The press will be out of it for quite a while. Caroline cannot compete at Senior ISU Championships until the 2008-2009 season, when she will be 15. There is little or no press coverage of the JGP or Jr. Worlds. Caroline could be moved to the Senior GP next season, but IMO that would not be a good move, and I am hoping she will remain out of the media spotlight another year.

I don't like 'hype' either, but the proof IS in the pudding. The only JGP skater in the past two years to generate scores as consistently high as Caroline Zhang's was Yu-Na Kim, and that was in her second JGP season, when she was 15.

I think we should appreciate Caroline for what she is: a wonderful young skater who is a pleasure to watch. We should not be demanding that she skate like a mature skater and dismiss her because she does not.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Wow...I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I look at Carloine in comparision to what other 13 year olds, and other Jr. skaters are doing, NOT what the top senior skaters can do. At 13, 14 even 15, how can one be mature enough to justly interpret music when so many 20+ skaters can't grasp that idea? People love to point to Michelle, NNN and Sasha as a standard for young skaters, but the truth is all 3 developed their musicality and understanding for their choregraphy as the years went by.

I think Caroline has a huge jump start over her Jr. competitors because she has such natural flexibility and amazing spins, so certain things that are rewarded under COP come easier to her. Hopefully as she gets stronger, her jumps will be more secured (seems to really dig in for her lutz/flip and a bit of a leg wrap.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
exactly. More or less what I've been getting at: we need to wait- or I'm willing to wait- until she starts competing at the senior level to really begin to judge any impact she might make. Right now no one but die-hard skate fans care about juniors or heck, even know that juniors exist.

Penny

On the Ice
judged sports

Please consider that practically all sports (except for stopwatch racing sports) are judged subjectively, even the team sports because they have referees and umpires who make judgment calls, so why are the team jocks so harsh on figure skating, diving, gymnastics, etc?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please consider that practically all sports (except for stopwatch racing sports) are judged subjectively, even the team sports because they have referees and umpires who make judgment calls, so why are the team jocks so harsh on figure skating, diving, gymnastics, etc?
:agree: :clap: That is so true. Except for
all sports (except for stopwatch racing sports) are judged subjectively,
They are also - but the point stands, just pointing out ALL are. If you can get disqualified from a sport there is Judging involved. Even if you are deducting seconds for "something" during, that had to have been judged. i.e. crossed the lane in track, illegal bump in NASCAR, etc...

Sometimes I think they might just have used up there full brain capacity and can't figure it out. :laugh:
As CzarinaAnya implicated,
I agree. Also, some passive channel surfer might say, "I don't get this judging system. What else is on?" :/
some think they can't figure it out. Not unless they are thinking they must know all the in-n-outs of how every little aspect is immediately.... then I find this ridiculous argument. It is not that difficult to get.
• Prog. last defined period of time equal to each skater.
• Elements "tricks (I hate that term) are predetermined before the comp and worth a specific number of points.
• Ref calls the element once performed during the routine.
• the points are given for the "trick" and the judges each can decide to take away up to 3 points or give up to 3 points depending on execution.
• At the end the decide on a scale of 1 - 10 what to give for the overall "performance" and that is added too.
Yep there are deductions and stuff that you start to become familiar with. Much like Learning what is a legal bump in NASCAR or Legal contact in Football.
When they ask how do they decide, that is when they get hooked and I simple say "let's watch a routine and I bet if I ask you -3 to +3 you are going to give pretty good scores..likely similar to the Judges." etc...

It is one of the "Finish line / Stop watch" sports AND MORE! And not for someone more interested in talking and the social factor of events, but someone who truly loves sports enough to pay attention. All the ones who engross themselves in FS become fans, that is because as soon as they know and not just "unfairly judge the sport themselves" (hypocrites) become fans because they understand instead of just "thinking that" - which BTW is judging too.

And what is cool right now is the Development of some new skaters filling in those "publicized top spots of popularity" Now that SOME of the dominating names are leaving. Are like when we watched Elway, Ernhart Jr. or Tiger grow into their spots and rise to the top of their sports - there is a great opportunity to experience that now in FS.

Ask about the FS Scandal I say, that has been corrected and made more impropbble. And all sports are subject to a "ref" call at some point that will have an impact on the outcome. Besides, we are talking about the most diverse sport having more aspects of competition then any other.

There are clearly "out of bounds, goal lines and yes even finish lines." These are ALL taking into consideration in ADDITION to other aspects as choreography and interpretation are also. FS HAS IT ALL. Including the factors others may use as examples of a sport to them "yes in addition Bubba, that and MORE.":p

Ah gesh, I am ranting again, but you know, some of this has been working in my acquaintances.:agree:

Last edited:

sussweden

Rinkside
I've seen Yu-Na Kim and I like her , she's a more artistic and elegant new skater in my eyes. But to go back to some years, I just saw a 13 year old Naomi Nari Nam at youtube and she had it ALL alread at the age of 13.

/Lena

shine

Record Breaker
Maybe that's because she's THIRTEEN YEARS OLD! She is a WONDERFUL skater, and for a girl her age she certainly is artistic. If she makes it through growth spurts and puberty without major impact, she may someday set a new standard for artistry.

Whatever. The thread title is about "artists". And I don't think Zhang is an artist at this point, period.