The running thread | Golden Skate

The running thread

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A call for those of you who run or like to watch running -- from sprints to marathon! This is something I enjoy when I'm not watching figure skating...so would love to hear from those of you who run or those of you who enjoy watching the elite races.

I enjoyed watching the U.S. Marathon Trials. So many great story lines. Galen Rupp wins (and obvi gets an Olympic spot) in his debut marathon! Meb Keflezighi makes his fourth Olympics, becoming the oldest person to qualify ever. And Jarod Ward, the third member, trains while teaching statistics at BYU!

On the ladies side, we have Amy Cragg who wins after finishing fourth four years ago. Desiree Linden, always the pace gal, sprints home for second and Sharlene Flanagen works through her struggles to grab a third spot. Though I'd imagine it was heartbreaking to finish 4th, I think people didn't expect Kara Goucher to finish that high after years of struggles and injury.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Mrs. P., particularly for the Runners' World breakdown: I thought the trials were next week for some reason. Would not have been able to watch anyway, so the analysis was great.

First of all (of course), :yahoo: for Meb! *Four* Olympics, in running, in the US of A system, where you either place in the trials or or stay home. Amazing!!! Plushy should be so lucky. I remember watching his silver in Athens. You can never ever count Meb out.

And Galen Rupp!:clap: I didn't even know he was training the marathon.I wonder if he still trains with Mo Farah? I remember the 10K where Mo was so happy his training mate took silver? Weren't there some doping allegations, though, sad to say? I could go Google, but I prefer to believe Galen has just made the leap.

I don't know Jared Ward is, out of the loop.

I loved the RW about the other runners encouraging Shalane to keep going, and her training mate even slowing down. Wonderful! I remember Desiree had a Hispanic last name and DNF in London? Shalane of course is our top marathoner, and I don't know Amy. Just like skating, I follow the men more:laugh:
On the road to Rio!:yay:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to mention that Meb sets a Masters record while qualifying for the Olys. :dance3: for the old folks!