Tips on continuing the sport in a ''limited'' country | Golden Skate

Tips on continuing the sport in a ''limited'' country

allkonost!

Spectator
Okay, I hope im not messing something up by posting this thread :eek:.
to start off I've been close w the sport since I was 4, my first memories come from the rink. I didnt always have coaches over the yrs and some breaks later and Im financially prepared to get back. The problem is my best ''financially prepared'' is still a huge blow since Im 15. And an even bigger problem is how to keep up when where I live (funny enough we hosted the '84 Olympics.....) there is nowhere to buy any figure skates in person, no pros and obvi no fitters (also nowhere to mount the boots so Im stuck buying sets). I can cope w that since my feet dont require any special fitting and stock models work fine. My current pair is not even worth talking about so its time 4new ones. Besides that, what worries me is how will I get the skates sharpened because now there is only one machine 4that and its used only by hockey players:(( (learned that its not g8 the hard way haha). Not to mention the shipping costs to get any package here and the limited pool of shops that offer to ship it. I vented a bit and most of this is beside the point, what I wanted to ask is does anyone have european/international sites to recommend? I'd appreciate any tips on anything rlly

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay, I hope im not messing something up by posting this thread :eek:.
to start off I've been close w the sport since I was 4, my first memories come from the rink. I didnt always have coaches over the yrs and some breaks later and Im financially prepared to get back. The problem is my best ''financially prepared'' is still a huge blow since Im 15. And an even bigger problem is how to keep up when where I live (funny enough we hosted the '84 Olympics.....) there is nowhere to buy any figure skates in person, no pros and obvi no fitters (also nowhere to mount the boots so Im stuck buying sets). I can cope w that since my feet dont require any special fitting and stock models work fine. My current pair is not even worth talking about so its time 4new ones. Besides that, what worries me is how will I get the skates sharpened because now there is only one machine 4that and its used only by hockey players:(( (learned that its not g8 the hard way haha). Not to mention the shipping costs to get any package here and the limited pool of shops that offer to ship it. I vented a bit and most of this is beside the point, what I wanted to ask is does anyone have european/international sites to recommend? I'd appreciate any tips on anything rlly
Hi and welcome! So, I presume you are in the area of Sarajevo? You really need a pro fitter, sharpener, etc. But I understand that is difficult. You may have to contact the closest boot/blade dealers to you and either travel to get them or have them send them to you. You may also have to mail your boots away to a pro figure skating sharpener/tech in order to get them sharpened correctly every time. With how much boots and blades cost I would not be taking any chances with them. So the closest boot dealers to you carry Edea, Jackson and Risport.
I'll send you a message that contains the shops information and you can go from there.

Good luck! :)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In addition to Ic3Rabbit's advice, if someone you know is willing to travel for sharpenings (not sure exactly how far that is) you can send your skates with them. I presume there's other skaters in your area. I'm sure they'll be willing to work with you.

allkonost!

Spectator
Hi and welcome! So, I presume you are in the area of Sarajevo? You really need a pro fitter, sharpener, etc. But I understand that is difficult. You may have to contact the closest boot/blade dealers to you and either travel to get them or have them send them to you. You may also have to mail your boots away to a pro figure skating sharpener/tech in order to get them sharpened correctly every time. With how much boots and blades cost I would not be taking any chances with them. So the closest boot dealers to you carry Edea, Jackson and Risport.
I'll send you a message that contains the shops information and you can go from there.

Good luck! :)
yup I'm Sarajevan and I apreciate all the feedback, it helped a lot!

allkonost!

Spectator
In addition to Ic3Rabbit's advice, if someone you know is willing to travel for sharpenings (not sure exactly how far that is) you can send your skates with them. I presume there's other skaters in your area. I'm sure they'll be willing to work with you.
wow thats seems like a plan that might work. ty :)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
wow thats seems like a plan that might work. ty :)
TBH those of us who are lazy in Boston do it. And our sharpener is quite literally in our rink at most of the better clubs. Sometimes there just isn't an appointment when you need it. That's to say, this is very common in skating. Don't worry, the community will always have your back to make your dreams as close to achievable as possible because that's what you deserve.