Two-foot spin help? | Golden Skate

Two-foot spin help?

hazy0h

Spectator
Hi everyone, 🙂♥️
I'm new here and I just started skating 2 months ago. I have private lessons twice a week and I'm skating about 8 hours a week.
I progressed quickly and can do all the elements in freestyle one (waltz jump, pivot, backward outside and inside edges, half flip, spiral) and the thing I cannot do consistently or well is the two foot spin. 😭
I have my first ever test in 2 weeks and I really want to pass freestyle one so I can qualify for the competition in 2 months.
My coach says I need to glide longer before the spin and I agree. But I keep traveling and I notice I tend to dip my left shoulder. I need to be able to do 6 rotations but even when I do it my best, it's usually only 5.
Today was my first day in my new edea chorus boots with mk professional blades, and trust me-this has improved my spin A LOT! (Before I was literally falling over and catching the blades in the ice and couldn't spin at all) 😂👀
Until yesterday, I was in Jackson mystique, and today was my first try in my new skates. 😍♥️

Please help me. I am so worried that I will not pass, and I've extended my accommodation here 6 weeks more -banking on doing the competition... So i really feel pressure to pass the test, otherwise it's £600 down the drain for extending my stay. And the skates the same price again😭😂

Here are some videos of the pivot entry (better) and the glide entry (worse-but this is the one i need to do for the test)

Thank you so much in advance🙏🙏 I would really appreciate any help with this😭🙏🙏🙏♥️♥️
Hazel 🙌🙂

Elija

On the Ice
They actually look pretty good to me! Is it 6 revs in the test?? That sounds high. I’m not sure how tests work in the UK but I have only ever seen two foot spins require three revs where I’m from. Just looked up the UISFS requirements and it’s 4-6 for freeskate 1 - is that what you’re doing? I couldn’t find anything called freeskate 1 in the uk, but I was just assuming you’re in the uk because of the pounds lol. Anyway, if it’s the equivalent of usfs freeskate 1, you should be fine.

If you really want to get six reeves, your pivot entry looks pretty good, and I think you bend a little more with that. For the glide entrance, perhaps bend and open a bit more before pulling in - fully open arms and bring everything in a bit slower, hopefully that will create a little more momentum. As I say though, this looks good to me for this level!

hazy0h

Spectator
They actually look pretty good to me! Is it 6 revs in the test?? That sounds high. I’m not sure how tests work in the UK but I have only ever seen two foot spins require three revs where I’m from. Just looked up the UISFS requirements and it’s 4-6 for freeskate 1 - is that what you’re doing? I couldn’t find anything called freeskate 1 in the uk, but I was just assuming you’re in the uk because of the pounds lol. Anyway, if it’s the equivalent of usfs freeskate 1, you should be fine.

If you really want to get six reeves, your pivot entry looks pretty good, and I think you bend a little more with that. For the glide entrance, perhaps bend and open a bit more before pulling in - fully open arms and bring everything in a bit slower, hopefully that will create a little more momentum. As I say though, this looks good to me for this level!
Hi Elija!
Thank you so much for replying🙏 🤗🌷
I'm living in Thailand right now so it's ISI Asia. But yes I normally live in UK🤗
I attach the link to the requirements for freestyle one to this message below.

When you click the YouTube example they provide..it goes to a video from US which says that it must be 6 revs, and my coach said also that less than 6 will not qualify😭

I know I'm still adjusting to my new skates and today was the first day. I finally have a rocker now!😂 So that has helped, but I thinki have still problems with the glide entry and also I don't know why I'm always traveling. I can't seem to stay on the same spot for the spin and apparently traveling more than 2 blades width means it isn't counted.

Pfff.i dunno why 6 is needed also-it is very high! I can jump really well but I just cannot get this spin yet🙏🙏😭♥️♥️♥️

Level 1 freestyle requirements

YouTube example

Elija

On the Ice
Hi Elija!
Thank you so much for replying🙏 🤗🌷
I'm living in Thailand right now so it's ISI Asia. But yes I normally live in UK🤗
I attach the link to the requirements for freestyle one to this message below.

When you click the YouTube example they provide..it goes to a video from US which says that it must be 6 revs, and my coach said also that less than 6 will not qualify😭

I know I'm still adjusting to my new skates and today was the first day. I finally have a rocker now!😂 So that has helped, but I thinki have still problems with the glide entry and also I don't know why I'm always traveling. I can't seem to stay on the same spot for the spin and apparently traveling more than 2 blades width means it isn't counted.

Pfff.i dunno why 6 is needed also-it is very high! I can jump really well but I just cannot get this spin yet🙏🙏😭♥️♥️♥️

Level 1 freestyle requirements

YouTube example
Usually travelling is a result of not holding the entry long enough, which it sounds like is what your coach has told you. So I would work on that with your coach, trying to get the edge really tight at the end before you hook into the spin. Then start wide and pull in slowly. That should hopefully help you get the extra rev! Good luck!

hazy0h

Spectator
Usually travelling is a result of not holding the entry long enough, which it sounds like is what your coach has told you. So I would work on that with your coach, trying to get the edge really tight at the end before you hook into the spin. Then start wide and pull in slowly. That should hopefully help you get the extra rev! Good luck!
Thank you so much. I definitely think that's where I'm going wrong, the entry. I will work on that on Monday at practice with my coach🙌🙏 thank you again!