US Ladies competing for Latin American countries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

US Ladies competing for Latin American countries

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Awhile back, PRC wanted to start a skating federation, and actually had a young novice from the US as their representative...

Kristine Stoned-Cruz from New Jersey

roller girl

Rinkside
Wow, now that i remember i think i skated with Beatrisa Liang, It was the first time I was going to skate on ice and there was an asiatoc girl who make doubles jumps. Does someone know since when she's competing for EEUU or if she sometimes come to Argentine, to see family maybe?

BTW Argentine is exellent on roller skating, Melisa Linsalata got silver medal at the roller figure skating world championship, just behin the italian Tanja Romano. Ok, i know that this is roller figure skating.... but maybe there's a posibility that someday an Argentine ice skating girl can compete at world lever representing argentine.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Wow, now that i remember i think i skated with Beatrisa Liang, It was the first time I was going to skate on ice and there was an asiatoc girl who make doubles jumps. Does someone know since when she's competing for EEUU or if she sometimes come to Argentine, to see family maybe?

BTW Argentine is exellent on roller skating, Melisa Linsalata got silver medal at the roller figure skating world championship, just behin the italian Tanja Romano. Ok, i know that this is roller figure skating.... but maybe there's a posibility that someday an Argentine ice skating girl can compete at world lever representing argentine.

I was looking at your sig--Lucca D'Alisera won gold again?! I prefer Roberto's style... (totally off topic)

Mafke

Medalist

/QUOTE]

Thank you, I've recently started watching roller skating (more for figures than for free skating) and had noticed that Argentina (and Brasil) are roller skating powers, I was wondering when someone would bring that up here.
I think in most Latin American countries most of the time Roller Skating is going to be of more interest than ice skating.

Of course, one doesn't _have_ to preclude the other but all things being equal if a country with limited financial abilities is already a power in roller skating why would they want to pour a relatively huge amount of money into ice skating with a guarantee of virtually no return in international results for a decade (at least).

I could understand that Argentina might want to join ISU so that an argentine skater living and training in the US could go to 4CC's or worlds, but I'm not sure if that's happened yet.

gio

Medalist
Italy is strong in Roller Skating. I hope that one day it will become that strong also in Figure Skating. :agree:

As for Brazil and Argentina, they also rock in Roller Skating.

roller girl

Rinkside
I was looking at your sig--Lucca D'Alisera won gold again?! I prefer Roberto's style... (totally off topic)

well speaking only of style i prefer Daniel Arriona, as Jayson Sutcliffe used to say: "Artistry of Arriola", but i love them all:love: :rock:
Hehe, i know, completelly off topic, but i like this topic:yes:

southwest wind

Rinkside
Megan Oster - Cuba

Well perhaps its cuz I am not American, but how could an American citizen skate for Cuba? Training and ISU stuff aside, what would happen if an American citizen became part of a Cuban national team?

gio

Medalist
Megan Oster - Cuba

Well perhaps its cuz I am not American, but how could an American citizen skate for Cuba? Training and ISU stuff aside, what would happen if an American citizen became part of a Cuban national team?

I put it just for fun. :)
ISU membership aside (Cuba isn't a member) I know it can't happen, because of the political problems between the USA and Cuba.
But I believe in the power of sport that goes beyond politics, religion, sex...
I would like to see one day also Muslim countries, African countries and South American countries competing at Worlds.

Last edited:
Shouldn't they call Four Continents Five Continents now that Brazil competed?
I think North and South America count as one continent in Olympic sports (the five rings). IIRC that's how the continents are counted in Europe (or should I say, Eurasia, LOL.)

ArwenIcePrincess

Rinkside
Honestly, with all this country hopping, I think some of this could very well happen- we have so many strong women that some of them with South American or Eastern European heritage might decide to switch countries...